Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Serious Question

smallsy

Do you think canvey island as a club has come as far as it can? the players who dominated the ryman premier has aged and whilst some younger players have come in this season and results have been improving do you think there is any ambition. obviously the ground would not meet league criteria but are you happ supporting a team who consistently finish mid table? i say this as someone who has been coming to canvey for 4/5 years now so be aware i am not searching for a row. serious question.

Well we have not consistently finished mid table!!

We were promoted last year and our main target was survival, this year upper bottom half, next year top ten,the following year play off, by then who knows new ground and league football.

Our rise so far has been meteoric, Canvey Island may need to go fulltime, need a new ground to go further, we must develop slowly but surely otherwise, we will end up like Hx etc.

As long as we keep improving on and off the pitch i`ll be happy just to stay in the Conference for the next few seasons. I think it was said our ambition last season was to stay up, i`m sure this year we hope to improve on last seasons final position and if we do that we will have improved again.

If we were pulling in crowds of 3500 and finishing low-to-mid table each season then i would be dissapointed but we don`t get big crowds at the moment. Maybe by spending big money on players we could push for promotion and hopefully raise the attendance but it would be a big gamble which i don`t think is worth the risk.

Before we can push for promotion i feel we need to build our supporter numbers (i think our actual team backing is the best it`s been since i`ve been watching Canvey),improve the ground (ideally move)and find some way of bringing more money into the club.

So no i don`t think we lack ambition because without it any club will fade away and die.

I'd like to become an established Conference team. We're not ready for the football league, there's no point kidding ourselves. I'd be happy to do what Bolton have done in the Premiership and stick around, improving each year. So far, so good!

Quote:
burnhamnumber1 said:
Do you think canvey island as a club has come as far as it can?

I think we can go further - a lot further, but at the moment I feel we need to consolidate in the Conference. We need to become a regular name in the fixtures list and move away from everyones firm favourite for relegation.

I think in turn this will "slowly" show an increase in crowds year upon year when fickled fans realise we are not just cannon fodder for other clubs in the Conf. Growth will continue and success will not come as frequently but in a weird way the club will become stronger and benefit from this.

Theres obviously a lot more to the club such as the ground, players, wages full or part time - but these will occur if and when the time is right - at the moment for some of these points the time is just not right but it won't stop the club from becoming stronger if we can consolidate at this level.

I notice that your at Burnham - how do local players, especially talented youngsters, view Canvey as a club to play for and obtain opportunities? Is it a great prospect or do they feel that the club only looks at experienced players for the first team and therefore won't necessarily get the chance - especially in light of Hallett breaking into the first team. How is our club viewed locally by players from outside?

Cheers for all the comments fellas.

I think the general concensus is right i.e. staying up for the time being with a slow improvement. my opinion is that the dream team of the last few years is ageing and will canvey be able do a manchester united and put a team like that together again.

as for mr non e mouse i think the prospect of playing for canvey is great with local lads. BUT.... i do think when players come to the age of 18/19/20 and looking to get in a first team they are gonna have to be something special to get in at canvey and even then they probably wouldnt get a look in. fair play to mr hallet as he was at waltham abbey 2/3 yrs ago in our league. he is just ONE example of the talent though and unfortunately for the younger players....and the bigger clubs....it remains an untapped market. In the current burnham ramblers squad we have players, in my opinion, that would be able to play ryman premier....but struggling teams i.e. maldon town are bringing older players from higher levels rather then younger players.

probably much the same as canvey but being a conference club im sure they can attract players from the league. i would say for canvey the next step would have to be going full-time then see what happens. good luck.