Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 19-October 17 )

• Photo
    Ian_D

• Photo
    Rings

• Photo
    boyblunder

• Photo
    daredevil8k

• Photo
    Rebel_Del

• Photo
    nick.ince

Photo

City And Utd To Merge!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
26 replies to this topic

offline ronin

ronin
  • First XI - Permanent
No not the Manchester clubs but Cambridge City and Utd. Both clubs have money problems and have held talks about groundsharing and a possible merger.

http://www.cambridge...4fe81bc3a22.lpf

offline YELLOW

YELLOW
  • First XI Coach
  • Supports: Canvey Island, West Ham
  • Foes: Billericay, Concord, Southend, Spurs, Chelsea
  • Fav. Player(s): Mo Diame, Paolo Di Canio, Carlton Cole, Kevin Nolan, Jay Curran, Kevin Dobinson, Lionel Messi
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, drinking.
I can't see City fans being that happy with the news. They're having a good season at the moment and could quite possibly win promotion to the Conference.

offline ronin

ronin
  • First XI - Permanent
No they are not happy

offline Staying-up

Staying-up
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
Disgraceful,Would be the same as Southend and Canvey being merged I fell really sorry for the City fans just hope it doesnt happen.

offline ronin

ronin
  • First XI - Permanent
From comments on the City forum it seems most fans would rather the club start again at a lower level than merge, no shock that Utd fans think it would be a good idea.

What suprises me is that both sets of fans say that Cambridge is not big enough to support two teams.

offline Matt H

Matt H
  • Forum Watchdog
  • Supports: Canvey Island
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football
Following up on this, here is an article from the Cambridge Evening News. Could you imagine what City fans must be thinking?

Is this the end for City?

CAMBRIDGE City could be reduced to a reserves side playing in the Ridgeons League if a link with Cambridge United goes ahead.

The News believes a deal would see City quit the Nationwide South at the end of the season and pool their resources with the U's.

We revealed on Monday that the two clubs were looking at joining forces to create a centre of youth excellence.

That followed recent talks, revealed exclusively by the News, between chief personnel from Milton Road and the Abbey during which a possible merger was mooted.

United stage their annual meeting on January 30 when full details of those discussions are likely to come into the open.

City chairman Arthur Eastham said: "We are trying to do our best to safeguard the future of the club. It has been pretty obvious for two-and-a-half years that the club has a very dodgy future.

"What we are trying to do is make decisions that are palatable to most people."

Commenting on the idea of City becoming an academy team playing in the Ridgeons League, he said: "It is a possibility. Our fans want to retain the name of Cambridge City at all costs.

"This is a possible solution, so why would we not look at it? I would not be doing my job properly if I did not look at all the options."

Eastham added that playing at Milton Road next season remains a possibility, as does groundsharing at the Abbey Stadium, but both of those options could entail large financial losses for City.

The club are due to hold a fans' forum next Wednesday and Eastham said: "We will not be making any announcements then, the purpose of the forum is to share information and get some input from the fans. Myself and the board are trying to do the best thing for the club."

If there is an amalgamation, it could possibly see key Lilywhites figures move on to the Abbey board.

But any joining of forces is likely to be met with fury from the fiercely loyal band of City fans.

However, the club's financial situation may provide little option as Cambridge struggles to support two higher level clubs.

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
I hope they do merge. Frankly, I think it's ridiculous that Cambridge has two clubs. City were obviously the upstart club, otherwise United wouldn't be so called. Dissolve them.

offline ronin

ronin
  • First XI - Permanent
That`s a bit harsh to say the least.

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
Why?

offline ronin

ronin
  • First XI - Permanent
How would you feel if it was Canvey being merged with Southend? And looking at what`s happening it`s not even a merger, it`s a takeover with no money being paid.

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
That's completely different. I knew someone would say that, but Canvey and Southend are seperate towns. It'd be like merging Southend and Colchester, or West Ham and Orient, or Blackburn and Accy Stanley. It's not the same.

offline Matt H

Matt H
  • Forum Watchdog
  • Supports: Canvey Island
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football
What about merging Canvey and Concord?

offline ken

ken
  • Reserves Coach
why should they merge, Cambridge is a big city. if both have enough money to stay a float then they should. if they dont have enough money they give in and fold the club. it is much more to do with the value of the ground their clubs play at. people wanting to make money.

offline ronin

ronin
  • First XI - Permanent
Quote:
Ribbit said:
That's completely different. I knew someone would say that, but Canvey and Southend are seperate towns. It'd be like merging Southend and Colchester, or West Ham and Orient, or Blackburn and Accy Stanley. It's not the same.

OK how would you feel if it was decided to disband Canvey? It`s still someones club (averaging over 600) and i know how i would feel, it`s bad enough being relegated let alone the thought of being taken over.

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
Wwhy would Canvey be disbanded?

offline ronin

ronin
  • First XI - Permanent
There is no reason why they would be and hopefully it will never happen, i`m just interested to know what your reaction would be if it happened. Would you be happy if someone said "disolve them"?

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
No and I don't expect the Cambridge City fans would be pleased to hear me say that they should be, but just because someone isn't happy about it, doesn't mean that it shouldn't happen.

offline JAY

JAY
  • Reserves Coach
mentioning west ham & orient merge wouldnt be silly merge as they are both teams in east london

offline The Great Eckscape

The Great Eckscape
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
  • rank
  • Supports: Canvey Island, Tottenham Hotspur
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, Cricket, Boxing, Speedway
All football teams deserve to keep their identity, let's hope that City can withstand the obvious pressures being put on them.

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
... You can have that one. In my defence, East London is densley populated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus