Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

City And Utd To Merge!

ronin

I can't see City fans being that happy with the news. They're having a good season at the moment and could quite possibly win promotion to the Conference.

From comments on the City forum it seems most fans would rather the club start again at a lower level than merge, no shock that Utd fans think it would be a good idea.

What suprises me is that both sets of fans say that Cambridge is not big enough to support two teams.

• 5 weeks later...

Following up on this, here is an article from the Cambridge Evening News. Could you imagine what City fans must be thinking?

Is this the end for City?

CAMBRIDGE City could be reduced to a reserves side playing in the Ridgeons League if a link with Cambridge United goes ahead.

The News believes a deal would see City quit the Nationwide South at the end of the season and pool their resources with the U's.

We revealed on Monday that the two clubs were looking at joining forces to create a centre of youth excellence.

That followed recent talks, revealed exclusively by the News, between chief personnel from Milton Road and the Abbey during which a possible merger was mooted.

United stage their annual meeting on January 30 when full details of those discussions are likely to come into the open.

City chairman Arthur Eastham said: "We are trying to do our best to safeguard the future of the club. It has been pretty obvious for two-and-a-half years that the club has a very dodgy future.

"What we are trying to do is make decisions that are palatable to most people."

Commenting on the idea of City becoming an academy team playing in the Ridgeons League, he said: "It is a possibility. Our fans want to retain the name of Cambridge City at all costs.

"This is a possible solution, so why would we not look at it? I would not be doing my job properly if I did not look at all the options."

Eastham added that playing at Milton Road next season remains a possibility, as does groundsharing at the Abbey Stadium, but both of those options could entail large financial losses for City.

The club are due to hold a fans' forum next Wednesday and Eastham said: "We will not be making any announcements then, the purpose of the forum is to share information and get some input from the fans. Myself and the board are trying to do the best thing for the club."

If there is an amalgamation, it could possibly see key Lilywhites figures move on to the Abbey board.

But any joining of forces is likely to be met with fury from the fiercely loyal band of City fans.

However, the club's financial situation may provide little option as Cambridge struggles to support two higher level clubs.

why should they merge, Cambridge is a big city. if both have enough money to stay a float then they should. if they dont have enough money they give in and fold the club. it is much more to do with the value of the ground their clubs play at. people wanting to make money.

Quote:
Ribbit said:
That's completely different. I knew someone would say that, but Canvey and Southend are seperate towns. It'd be like merging Southend and Colchester, or West Ham and Orient, or Blackburn and Accy Stanley. It's not the same.

OK how would you feel if it was decided to disband Canvey? It`s still someones club (averaging over 600) and i know how i would feel, it`s bad enough being relegated let alone the thought of being taken over.