Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lino At Fulham

ronin

Would i be right in thinking that the "referees assistant" who gave a very dubious penalty to Fulham tonight (Mr Gavin Ward) is the same offical who "graced" Park Lane last season?

He`s maybe best remembered for his schoolboy looks and his faliure to send-off the Northwich player who nearly broke Chennery`s leg!

The Fulham game last night was delayed due to the original referee (Richard Beeby - the guy that sent the Barnet keeper off against Man Utd) being injured in the warm up. As a result, the Fourth Official (Andy D'Urso) was promoted to referee.

This got me thinking; why does the Fourth Official not warm up at the start of the game with the Referee and Assistants? I go to quite a few Premiership games and only ever see 3 officials warming up.

Surely where there is a chance that they may be needed as a replacement they should be warmed up and ready just like substitutes for teams are.

Sorry, nothing to do with Gavin Ward I know but a valid point I feel!

Not a regulation that the 4th. Official has to warm up.

The 3 main officials have too, and are scrutinised by an assessor as they do so, (allegedly !!!)

The other think I’d like to know about referees and their assistants is why, at our level of football, are they always referred to as Mr… so and so and never by their forenames? It used to be the same at Premiership level but MOTD and Sky now always use their forenames and surnames. In all our programmes and match announcements we only ever have reference to surnames.

It's considered to be a 'term of respect'.

In the good old days, all teachers were referred to as 'Sir', or 'Miss'. Sadly lacking today.

• 1 month later...

I see our favourite ref is the linesman(sorry referees assistant) at the Chelsea v Liverpool game today.

I dare say he will be a top premier league ref in a few years as he fits the requirements of being politally correct and always booking and sending off players for trival things and not letting the game flow. Only good thing about him reffing at a higher level is he won't be doing anymore of our games.

• 5 months later...