Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

"Good old Days"

Being born 1938 and living through the war and the rebuilding of the UK we progressed from infancy through to maturity in a society where hero’s were day to day conversation and boys showed “no pain”, open razors leather footballs and “no pain”

Men did not cry, it was not until the flower power generations came along that the male of the species was allowed to consider being “in touch” with their feminine side, a concept still beyond us the 38 generation

At the week-end I phoned a fellow 38 generation man to commiserate with him following the death of his wife, the same man had lost a daughter four years before and showed “no pain”

I am in a state of shock to find that my mate has entered into dementia, which I am convinced comes from keeping the duel bouts of grief inside and away from show to the outside world

Trust me there is no such thing as the good old days

Quite correct. Human behaviour is cultural, and it is quite normal for people to assume that their own culture, cultural values and codes of behaviour, etiquette, social relationships and roles etc. are "natural" and are based on how "cave man/woman" behaved, only more polite.

The strangest notion of "good old days" in politicians spouting about Victorian family values. A little history woul do them good. Of course they are referring only to an idealised model of upper middle class 19th century life, ignoring the slums, the povery and the workhouses, illegitimate children, several thousand brothels in London alone (including gay brothels), the better off husbands using the brothels then ifecting their wives.......