Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

-Vs- Salisbury City

Matt H

A Non E Mouse, You keep on posting and I won't have to bother. You've got it spot on, Salisbury played up and we couldn't braek them.

On the subject of the formation 4-4-2 maybe? Again 3 centre halves although with wardy in their we looked more solid. I thought when dave played right side on the centre halves the other week he got dragged accross an left Chenners exposed.

For their goal was it one of our players who played the centre ball? Sorry, eyesight failing in old age.

Quote:
Linneycifc said:
Matt come on how the [****!!****] can you say management got it wrong when your never there as for "since when has mario been a left-sided player" tell me now where he put a foot wrong in the accy game

oh... you can't you were'nt there

To be fair I think Matt drew his conclusions from my previous posts and observations - obviously they were my opinions. To some degree I think we did get the formation wrong and we didn't look a balanced side.

Felt Mario played well against Accy - but he does get drawn wide when he plays alongside Mints - not sure if this is intentional. I like to see Mario play more centrally but obviously this clashes with Mints selection in the squad.

For the games I cannot attend I do draw my conclusions from the majority of the other fans views, this is an open forum after all. If the majority suggest we were crap, then I come to the conclusion that we were crap. If the majority come to the conclusion that a player or two had off days, I believe they had off days. There are Canvey fans watching the game from at least three sides of the ground during all matches and if they all tend to agree on the same thing, then it's blatantly obvious that it must have happened. 500+ people can't all be liars.

As for picking on Mario - Far from it, I like Mario, I enjoy watching him play, I thought he was brilliant against Grays, but then who wasn't? I was just putting forward the question, since when has Mario been a left-sided player? I've never seen him play on the left? He played on the left and Jon Keeling played on the right against Accrington did they? Well there must've been a good reason for that which I'm sure the Management felt there was to play Mario on that side a head of three naturally left-sided players again today. Otherwise, what would they have thought they were playing at? This is football after all, everyone knows where each player can or can't play....don't they? Everyone on here seems to think they do, so I'm damn well sure Jeff, Glenn and Brian do too.

Also, referring back to my conclusions. I do tend to conclude on past experience what might've happened. I've seen so many Canvey games over the years that some do tend to blend with others. But when I read on this forum what has happened during the game, I reflect on similar games as to where I've read and seen with my own eyes the same things happen over and over...

The likes of Lowestoft, Slough, Bishop's Stortford, Burnham, Salisbury. Do not insult my intelligence by telling me these were just Canvey 'off-days'. After all of those games, we've come on here as fans of our club to put forward our views of what went wrong, and of those games did we admit that the opposition deserved it because they outclassed us in every position on the pitch, had our tactics and key players sussed and generally didn't give us a chance to play any football? Hardly!

This is the 11th season I've been following Canvey, since I was 9 years old and I can still remember my first match, we lost to Collier Row, (before they merged with Romford) but I was thrilled at seeing that game in person and the result never put me off becoming a regular, home and away.

Now although I cannot get to every game by being out of the County, every Saturday I wait in anticipation and baited breath for 3pm when I have Fans Focus, ConfGuide, Sky Sports, BBC and the opposition forum open on my computer screen ready to hear the lastest from a Canvey match. I could easily give that all up to go and follow a local Non-League team here. The likes of Aylesbury, Chesham and even Burnham are just short trips away. Hell, I could even accuse myself of being a glory hunter and watch Wycombe Wanderers flying high at the top of League Two....But I don't, for the simple reason being I love Canvey Island Football Club.

Now after that personal outpour, a bit of constructive criticism...I'm very disappointed we got knocked out, not so much to the fact it was a team lower in the pyramid than us, but much to the fact that we don't really have anything realistic to play for this season.

We're out of the FA Cup, FA Trophy and ESC. I think the Playoffs are a bit too beyond us and if we managed to earn an LDV spot I think the general perception is we wouldn't be allowed to enter due to the ground not meeting the criteria. We could've done with the money too, 5000 today would've been nice, plus the future incentives for progressing through each round.

I'll post my other thoughts with regards to attracting supporters and our new signing in their relevant threads.

Just one more thing - Today's attendance? 534! That's appalling, but unsurprisingly even the opposition fans are questioning it....again! Police reckon Salisbury brought 302 fans....That kind of makes us a laughing stock!

We need a whole new support to support these 'new players' before we can ask them to 'play out of their skins' for us and the club.

I'm definately more concerned with our attendances than us getting knocked out of three cups early on. The latter is only temporary.

I'm sure I read somebody on here saying that our attendance against Accy was decent, when it was 900 odd. Against the table toppers andeasily the best team in the league, we should be attracting 1500 as we should against Dagenham and Grays and only a couple of hundred below that for our games with Gravesend and Stevenage.

The fact that we don't is the main reason why I don't see us being able to sustain our position in this league on a long term basis. We just look to weak.

Jeff's comments from the BBC site

Canvey Island boss Jeff King was left disappointed after they went out of the FA Trophy, losing 1-0 to Southern Premier League leaders Salisbury City.

"I'm not very happy, as they scored from our mistake," he said.

"But it was a pretty poor game, and it didn't look like there was a goal in either side.

"When you play a team from a lower league you try to keep the momentum up, bring them up to our level, but we went down to their level."

It's basically a very, very brief summary of his BBC Essex interview, which if you didn't hear can be listened to (http://www.bbc.co.uk/essex/sport/audio_archive.shtml third from the top).

VERY interesting, more comings and goings before the end of the month perhaps?

At the end of the day, matches like yesterday are rarely decided on being the best football team. It is decided on passion, work rate, belief and heart. They put us to shame in these departments and this is something we need to work on. As a team we are playing some great stuff. Has everyone forgotten Grays already? We just need to ensure we are in the right frame of mind to take on the "underdogs".

Luckily (ahem) we won't have to worry about cup competitions any more, so let's get behind the lads for the Gravesend game. A bit more supporting and a bit less moaning might be just the tonic to see us reach OUR HIGHEST LEAGUE FINISH IN THE CLUBS HISTORY.

If we react like we did after the Burnham debacle then we'll be OK.