Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Jury Service

I was listening to a radio programme this morning about jury service;and was surprised to hear that some people have served 2 or 3 times.

I am 44 and never been called up,neither have any member of my family including my Mum and Dad.No one from my wifes family have ever been called.

Has anyone on the forum served on a jury more than once.?

How many of you are like me and had no one from the family called up.

I was recently called for the third time in 2 years. I wrote and told them that and was excused.

Years ago, I was called up to the Old Bailey and went into the jurors pot for the Kray Brothers trial but they got 12 long before they got to me. They must have been expecting objections because they had enough for 10 juries as far as I could see! Still I think the case lasted over a year in the end.

Ended up with an arson case, which was one of the first juries to bring in a majority guilty verdict after it became legal. The Jury then heard the defendant had form as long as your arm and she was then certified criminally insane by the Home Office Psychiatrist and sent to Broadmoor!

The last two times at Reading Crown Court when I did have to go, I never got on a jury once which actually ended up hearing a case. I went on one and we were sworn in and then we got sent out. In the interim, the defendant changed his plea to "guilty", so we got discharged! Then sat around for days waiting for another which never came. The second time was similar. Apparently a lot of defendents take it to the wire and then plead guilty, which leads to loads of jurors sitting around doing nothing for days on end.

I did it at wood green crown court in the early 80s . I was there for almost 3 weeks .Case 1 A gang of turks and a stolen car (hung jury) case 2 Old age pensioner caught shplifting at sainsbury's (He got off shame on sainsbury's). Case 3 was a credit card scam (They was fairly new then)This went on for about 6 days and was I bored s***less. But a guilty verdict on the geezer.

I did it at Wood Green too, in the mid-eighties. A multiple case, four "youths" charged with multiple robberies (muggings) to a total of 14 counts between them. We found a combination of verdicts on eth various counts, with the result that only of the accused was acquitted of all counts.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the experience.