Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

game report

pabird

Don't know what time you get up pabird, but some of us have to sleep, especially if we have been to Hayes the night before. Match details were posted before I went to bed at midnight. The report is now up though.

Now, must go and do a bit of the day job before my boss discovers what I really do when the office door is closed.

Merv the report of the game against Enfield in the "non-league" newspaper reads that Canvey were fortunate to win a scrappy game

where the only true period of dominance was brief and belonged to Enfield

How do we square this performance with your own report of the mid-week game against Hayes which suggested that in "our" periods of control we played attractive and effective football

I haven't read the match report in the NLP but you need to ask yourself, who wrote it? NLP don't manage to get independent reporters to all non-league games, instead they often rely on club officials (club secretary or press officer) to supply the reports. If this is the case you may well get a report that is biased or one-sided. I think this may the situation with the Enfield report.

It's a bit different to reading a report on a club's website. Matt and I have never hidden the fact that our web reports are biased, one-sided and written for the amusment/entertainment of the Canvey fans. I don't think this is meant to be the case with NLP.

I think we played better at Hayes than we did at Enfield, although there was far less at stake and, to a degree, the pressure was off. We had a couple of youngsters out to impress and they did well. Both teams relaxed to a certain extent and the result was, IMO, a reasonably entertaining game. Saturday wasn't the best game I've seen Canvey play but if you can play a mediocre game and still collect the points, who am I to complain?

Every report in the NLP is biased towards the home team. If they win - then they were 'by far the best team'. If they lose - 'they were robbed'.

As Merv says these reports are written locally and are hugely biased - a point to remember when you have not managed to attend a game.

By the by - I notice that the price has gone up by 20p - has anyone noticed if the paper is any bigger or better?

Some 'real' reporters moonlight by writing for the NLP as well as for their own local newspaper. When they do they usually write under an assumed name - in case their editor sees it, I guess. Again, they tend to be from local papers and, hence, home supporters more often than not.

Dick Marshall always gives a balanced view, I find. To his (and the Echo's credit) he gets to quite a few away games as well. Wouldn't know if he writes for any other publication, though.