Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island Vs Forest Green Rovers - Matchday Thread

Matt H

Quote:
charles said:
I think us fans are finding our teams performance a bit dull and boring; you know kick it up in the air and hope!I suggest that we all take a close look at Glen Cockerill on Tuesday. If all is not well even before half time he changes things, new formation, subs etc., and what about his post-match interviews, intelligent and fair comment, never fails to praise his teams efforts, no wonder they respond in the next game. I think you will agree we need more team motivation by the management team, try new formations use the subs a bit more sensibly; after all if players are not up to standard they shouldn't even be at the club, whether sitting in the stand or on the bench, if they are lets play them! I feel that sometimes we are living in the past sentimently supporting previous seasons players when we should be looking to our newer players, they are our future we need to play them now or they will leave, we must support them.

This whole league is long ball football with brief moments of skill (Accrington won the league doing it and i`m not knocking them) and League 2 is more of the same. I`d love us to play the ball on the ground all the time but it`s not going to happen in this league.

I`m not sure if the Glen Cockerill comment was meant as a joke or not because he is renowned for playing the long ball game and it doesn`t go down well with the Woking fans. He may be good with interviews but he`s no tactical genius.

" Cockerill did play a major part in keeping us up. But he seems to have run out of ideas now. Most teams have us sussed. I think it was John Hollins who said "Woking play the long ball game, and if that fails they will play the long ball game, and if that fails they will try the the long ball game!" Sums us perfectly. I think Cockerill has taken us as far as he can."

http://www.cardsboard.co.uk/cardboard.mpl?action=View+Thread&thread=24761

All sounds rather doom and gloom.

We can all conjecture on the reason fans are not turning up at the Lane and it's all been done to death before.

I think we will see a decline in crowds as we head towards the end of the season anyway. To the average punter we have little to play for but pride. Woking and Kiddy are going nowhere and Exeter may not make the play offs.

I feel Saturdays crowds were more your Park Lane hardcore - and if there were any "fickled or floating" fans what would they have witnessed?

A sparse crowd watching virtually an end of the season game which was scrappy, devoid of entertainment and totally spoilt by incompetent officials. Sorry but what was the attraction for someone to return unless they are a die hard fan?

You've got Southend on a role, West Ham doing well and Grays in with a shout of the play offs, beating Accy away and a trip to Upton Park.

Sometimes it's difficult to appreciate what others think when your so close to something you love. In reality a neutral would have seen an inconsistent team lose points to less than able competition such as FGR and Tamworth; a side fail to despatch lower opposition in cup competion, Burnham and Salisbury but a side who provided quality entertainment against Grays and Morecambe etc.

With regard to the FGR game. We didn't win the midfield battles so we seem to be missing sedgemore. Other than that I didn't see the same team that put in a lot of effort at Morecambe last Saturday. Again, for the neutral, there is a lot of inconsistency in our play. Our goal didn't appear to go over the line although later the keeper did appear to take the ball back over the line when he made a catch. Can't comment on the penalty decision but felt Jay did well at times but is still a bit raw. Ibe caused a lot of problems at Morecambe and was dropped for Hallett. Clarke came straight back into the side and was promptly man handled all over the pitch and was not strong enough to compete. But the biggest spoiler of the whole afternoon and possibly a reason why people don't appreciate Conference football was the incompetent men in black!

Quote:
Yellow Bungle said:
Perhaps the problem is that people don't see it as "their" club, and not just because of our failure to raise aware but also as we have failed to widely engage the fans we have already have.

I was talking (via ConfGuide) to a York fan the other week about our crowds and he made the point that you look at the profiles of the people who post on here and under Supports you see Canvey + West Ham/Chelsea/Spurs.... He said that they are lucky because they have generations of people who have grown up supporting York and for them there is no other club.

We have a very short history but have a lot to be proud of, there are 500/600 regulars who appreciate it but we`ve got to convince more people from Canvey that the clubs worth their support.

Quote:
Yellow Bungle said:
How about a Supporters Trust?

I`m still not convinced by Supporters Trusts, they have worked for some but are having trouble at others. Any plans to start one would really need the clubs blessing or it would be a bit of an insult to the people who have got us this far.

Quote:
A Non E Mouse said:
With regard to the FGR game. We didn't win the midfield battles so we seem to be missing sedgemore. Other than that I didn't see the same team that put in a lot of effort at Morecambe last Saturday. Again, for the neutral, there is a lot of inconsistency in our play. Our goal didn't appear to go over the line although later the keeper did appear to take the ball back over the line when he made a catch. Can't comment on the penalty decision but felt Jay did well at times but is still a bit raw. Ibe caused a lot of problems at Morecambe and was dropped for Hallett. Clarke came straight back into the side and was promptly man handled all over the pitch and was not strong enough to compete. But the biggest spoiler of the whole afternoon and possibly a reason why people don't appreciate Conference football was the incompetent men in black!

Think we missed Sedgy badly on Saturday. He has held the midfield together superbly this season and provides bite and creativity that we badly missed on Saturday.

Defensively I thought we looked quite solid with Chenners excellent throughout.

Jason and Lee were extremely quiet but got very little service to be honest. Would be good to see Taity get a run out against Woking. Has had few opportunities to impress recently and has looked good when playing for the reserves.

Quote:
Yellow Bungle said:
We haven't any direction, we need to decide whant we want and how we are going to get there.

There's no point the club whinging about attendances when they make very little effort to attract new fans.

WE've all said it on here before, but like the website incident the club seem to react negatively to any criticism or even suggestions.

Personally, I will not be renewing my season ticket as I will probably miss 2 or 3 games as a result of being away. They aren't really good value.

When you come to think of it, i dont personally think it is the clubs fault for some of it, i belielve that it is the local shops and public that are at fault, when we were in the trophy final how many shops were showing our support, when Dean macey won his gold what have the council and locals done about it, absolutely nothing, maybe if they started backing local teams, they might find they might actually make a bit more money for themselves and for the club

the first rule of advertising and PR is to select your target audience and push the product down their throats. the posters we use are to sparsely placed and of such a simple design they dont catch the eye. if you walk around westcliff and southchurch loads and loads of shops have posters in their windows for southend.

we need to make it that everywhere you go on the island there is a reminder that there is a football club.

Quote:
ken said:
as fans we can do our bit by bringing people down with us, if every fan brings down 3 new people per season and only one of the three stays, then that will double home attendance.

Word of Mouth!!! Tell everyone you know about the mighty Yellows!!!

Quote:
YELLOW said:
Word of Mouth!!! Tell everyone you know about the mighty Yellows!!!

I think even if we organised some kick @rse friendlies like Charlton or West Ham bringing their first teams down. The timing would have to be impeccable for them not to be too early to clash with World Cup backlash or to late for the fans to take their kids on Holidays before going back to school.

• 2 weeks later...