Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island v Woking tonight - Tuesday 4th April 2006

Spursman

Quote:
YELLOW said:
In terms of no atmosphere, I've been there when we've won 4-0 in front of a decent crowd and there's been no singing and no atmosphere whatsoever. I don't particularly want to go back to that!!!!

Haven't we all?! But I think that came from the normality of winning. Everyone expects the result so they forget or don't see the need for the encouragement.

All the games I've gone to this season, I've shouted myself hoarse and I don't stand under the shelter with the Yellow Army.

Quote:
Canvey_Loon said:
Absolutely dreadful night in every way and one of the poorest games I think I have ever seen.

Took the wife along tonight to see her 1st game for about 20 years and it is safe to say that after that it will be a long, long time till she comes to another game again.

358 people there, abysmal performance from Canvey who seemed unable to string two passes together all night, no atmosphere whatsoever in the ground and freezing bloody cold. A night to forget for absolute certain.

I agree with some of your points but i actually think we played well 2nd half, i lost count of how many chances we had and if Ibe had put his chance away i`m sure we would have got at least a point out of the game.

I know the players are being paid but it must be very hard to get motivated when they walk out to see an almost empty ground. Well done to the usual 20/30 who got behind the team but there must have been more atmosphere on the moon than at Park Lane tonight.

Didn`t see a programme so i`ve not read Jeff King`s comments but it doesn`t take a genius to work out we cannot keep going as it is. How can we expect to pay for quality players next season on these crowds?

Quote:
ronin said:
How can we expect to pay for quality players next season on these crowds?

I tend to think most people forget about the whole wage-capping issue in the Conference and of those that do know about it, even less fully understand the ins and outs.

With our average attendance looking as poor as it does, then it won't be long before the likes of Boylan and Minton will have to take a cut, and they will only accept so much before wanting to be shipped out elsewhere.

Quote:
Matt CIFC said:
Quote:
ronin said:
How can we expect to pay for quality players next season on these crowds?

I tend to think most people forget about the whole wage-capping issue in the Conference and of those that do know about it, even less fully understand the ins and outs.

I don`t understand the rules and i`m sure not many clubs follow them but even without wage-capping i wouldn`t expect anyone to dig deeper into their pocket when there`s a lack of support from the people of Canvey.

I have to disagree with anyone saying that was a terrible performance. Okay, a couple of defensive errors let us down, but overall I thought we battled and played well. In the second half their keeper saved them the 3 points. With a lesser player in goal I reckon they would have gone home with nothing at all.

Thought Clarkey was quality, my MOTM. Keeling was also brilliant when he came on.

For the benefit of those fans that didnt read Jeff Kings programme notes here is the bit relevent to the low crowds:

'The one frustration continues to be the size of our crowds. Saturday's attendance our smallest of the season was terrible for this league, especially considering how well we have been playing recently.

Its obvious that potential supporters don't appreciate that we are in the highest position in the clubs history and are a part-time team against mainly full-time sides. The club is now having to seriously look at its immediate future as it's impossible to sustain Conference football on this level of support.'

Read into it what you may.

If tonights match could have been played in reverse order we might have won!

The subs changed the game dramatically and we deserved a goal in the second half.

Ibe missed a sitter and I should have been replaced then.

Why is Dolan not in the team? He is far better than our hangers on.

Duffy was limping most of the game and trying not to show it.

Keeling was like a headless chicken.

Let's have a few home truths on the forum.

I question the methods used to motivate the players.

Something is missing and I think it could stem from the top!

I too was frustrated of last night performance, i thought the second half we mananged to battle hard and create a lot of chances, if the confidence in the players was there, then i think we could of had a major comeback and won the game. Most of the errors boil down to the common fact, that players just do not look up from the ball and just pass it hoping it will get to one of ours. I thought if it werent for their keeper again we would of won, he made some fantastic saves for them, their no 15 also was a very pacy guy and made our defence work harder to try and keep up with him. Some of our players were getting abuse from our fans, and i would like to say we all get frustrated in how their perform sometimes but it is better to offer encouragement than to abuse them. I agree Clarke has improved a lot over the coming months, i at first wasnt impressed with his ability, but now he has proved me wrong and he has helped the team imense with his crosses into the box. Although it pains me to say it i think Grays will do the double over woking in the trophy final.

There is no doubt there is a very very strong chance the Chelmsford rumour will go ahead..

Just look at Jeff's comments in the programme, it looks like the King family have had enough of pumping cash into a club that are just not attracting support..

thought we played well enough in the 2nd half and created loads of chancesto win,but a excellant performance by their keeper kept them out. on another night we'd have scored 2 or 3.the crowd or lack of it,i counted73 from woking(some sitting in corner)did look more than 280 in the rest of the ground.

I would definately prefer to drop leagues if it means keeping Canvey Island FC. We've done the Conference thing and it's been great, but with a reduced wage bill I'm sure the club would become a lot more managable from Jeff's point of view.

Whatever happens, Canvey Till I Die!

I'd have us return to the Essex Senior League before moving off the island.

We'd lose the likes of Boylan, Minton, Sedgemore, Ibe, Tait, etc. and we'd have to re-build our squad on Youth, but we'd still have our Club on our island.

Attendances cannot drop any lower than they are now, so 350 in the ESL might not be that bad. Plus the teams are obviously closer: Southend Manor, Bowers, Romford etc.

Having said all that, it's quite drastic. If there were an ultimatium put forward - Merge with Chelmsford or be relegated from the Conference next season, I know which I'd take.

Quote:
ken said:
in this day and age there must be plenty of investors that would want to put money into a club like canvey.

Any investor worth his salt would note how much has been invested in the past by Jeff and also note that the crowds did not respond.

Can't be many investors who look at football clubs without some sort of ego trip going on........

Quite agree with Batty, frustrating all round! Having looked at our scorers record Kez last scored in the league at Exeter on Dec 3rd., and Jason before Scarby Mar 21st. York Oct 10th.Hardly profilic scorers!Yet we continually play them in those positions week after week when I think swapping about would be the sensible option. Leaving players out of the squad or on the bench not using them is stupid. We can all see this WHY can't they?

Quote:
charles said:
Quite agree with Batty, frustrating all round! Having looked at our scorers record Kez last scored in the league at Exeter on Dec 3rd., and Jason before Scarby Mar 21st. York Oct 10th.Hardly profilic scorers!Yet we continually play them in those positions week after week when I think swapping about would be the sensible option. Leaving players out of the squad or on the bench not using them is stupid. We can all see this WHY can't they?

Jason scored in both the Grays games and Kezie scored away at Cambridge. Point taken though.