Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Jeff King Interview Last Night v Woking - "Something the fans won't like"..

Spursman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/essex/sport/audio_archive.shtml

Listening to Jeff's comments last night following the Woking game, it appears something is definately on the agenda re the lack of support the club is getting now.

"It's their call and they are going to force something to happen that they won't like" - would't be drawn any further on the subject as you will hear but it seems to me that this amalgamation talk may not be too far off the mark here.

From what people are saying the Chelmsford rumour is no longer just a possibility it could actually happen as soon as next season..

Jeff wants to continue to manage a top level non league club but it seems he is unwilling to use his own cash to follow his dream

In chelmsford Jeff would not need to use his own cash as the potential gates are around 2 to 3 thousand each home game..

Thoughts?

It would be sad beyond belief for Canvey to move off the Island but what choice does Jeff have?

The club simply cannot survive on gates of 3-4 hundred and although he is a very successful businessman in his own right, why should he have to continue to bankroll the club with his own money if seemingly the population of Canvey simply are not interested?

Jeff would survive without the club but the club cannot survive without Jeff - that is fact. Under him the success (FA Trophy wins and final appearances, Ryman championships etc.)that should have given the club a following of at least 1,000+ fans each week, simply has not happened and that is a tragedy for all that have any feeling at all for Canvey Island Football Club.

I can imagine that the reaction from hardcore fans will be but at the same time, before anybody even thinks about criticising Jeff King, just remember what he has done and achieved for this club and how much I am sure it is breaking his heart to have to go down this rout if indeed it does prove to be true.

without knowing if it is a move or a merger (or both), there is no point trying to continue on such low crowds as that will only lead to the collapse of the club. No doubt any change will generate some negative reactions, but at the end of the day Jeff King owns the club and pays most of the bills, just a shame the locals have not backed him a bit more. Feel a bit guilty not coming to more games but it's a 200 mile round trip so ain't that cheap or easy to do.

it would be nice to hear from the club on what they have done to increase the numbers. have they spoken to other clubs in similar situations and seen what they have done, have they spoken to bigger clubs to get some ideas on how to bring fans in, have they spoken to a marketing or PR company for ideas.

if the rumours turn out to be true (and i very much doubt if they are) then i would like to know that the club has done everything it can to ensure success.

from the BBC web site

Boss King hits out at low crowds

Canvey Island manager Jeff King has hinted he may have to sell players if they continue to get low crowds.

The Gulls' last two home Conference matches have attracted disappointing attendances, with fewer than 500 people through the gate on each occasion.

There were just over 350 at Tuesday's 2-0 home defeat against Woking.

King told BBC Essex: "It's their choice (the fans) but they're going to force something to happen here and they won't like it - it's going to be their call."

Quote:
Exile said:
without knowing if it is a move or a merger

A move to Chelmsford is a pathetic idea. Chelmsford fans have just had their Club move back into their home town and are getting crowds of around 1500+. For a second team to show up, the only hardcore fans that would watch the second team, (if it were Canvey for example) are those fans that could afford the time and money to travel from the island week in, week out. If anything with Chelmsford were to happen, I get the feeling that it would 99% likely to be a merger.

But again, there are many routes Jeff could take with his Club. I've just heard the interview myself and from Jeff's tone of voice at the end I would say that him possibly pulling his money out would be a more likely option.

I think we are all being mislead by talk of Chelmsfod City.

If Jeff wants a new management challenge then I can understand that Chelmsford has a lot of potential. I can understand Jeffs disappointment in the local support and would wish him well. However, we are all saying that Jeff is taking the club along for the ride as well. Why?

Only 300 odd people get off their [****!!****] now so Chelmsford won't benefit at all. Chelmsfords potential is also limited because of the running track - they would never get league status.

Also we are being told by those that run the club that "we will be forced to do something the fans won't like" The only people that effects is the true hard core yet no one who runs the club has given "us" the loyal fans of CIFC any options. The club has a ground etc. and there is no saying that the club is not viable in the Conf South or lower and it may well be that some fans would be happy to have a club ply its' trade in a lower division and live by its means.

I would assume Jeff will stop "floating" the club or a possible move elsewhere but possibly more local. Can't see him moving forward with a new ground as this would again mean him making an investment and taking the risk that the higher profile a new ground would give could also fail to attract the crowds.

Can't see anyone at Chelmsford City really wanting it. yes they would have Conference Football but it would be a straight takover by Jeff King. Him and Glenn Pennyfather would still be the managers and virtually all the City players wouldn't be good enough for the Conference.

I just can't see it happening but you never know. It looks like Jeff King has finally had enough of low crowds and quite frankly who can blame him? he has put in a lot of his money to get the club where it is today.

having heard the interview, just wonder if things like selling our top earners or substantially increasing admission prices are being considered - not quite as drastic as moving or merging but not something fans will like. Anybody know whose contracts are up this summer ?

Quote:
Exile said:
Anybody know whose contracts are up this summer ?

The only three I definately knew/know of were Ashley Harrison who's gone already, Steve Ward and Neil Gregory. Something in the back of my mind tells me that Duffers, Keeling and Bimmo's might be up too.

Having said that, I think there are some key deals ending next season - Kennedy, Minton, Potter, Tait, Noto, Ibe and possibly Boylan's.

Dolan's is the only one I definately know extends past the end of next season. I'll look through the Official site's archive of news to confirm those I've mentioned.

But Jeff says we'll have to "sell" some, so they could all be put up for sale this Summer.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Bad crowds or not, the team needs to be freshened up.

Kingy wears his heart on his sleeve. He is angry and frustrated by the poor crowds but I doubt he'll do anything to ruin his reputation. Those words are of a man frustrated that his team has played poorly and watched by a pathetic crowd. He'll probably have a smile on his face this time tomorrow!!!

Seriously though something will happen but not in the near future.

you know what as an urchin i feel sorry for the loyal fans that turn up week in week out to watch their local side,jeff king whos a brilliant manager & buissness man is doing all he can to keep the club going & to be honest i can see him wanting a new challange as crowds are low not slagging yous off here but we get about 400-500 & we are in the essex senior but anyway why merge chelmsford can you really see people comming out of the island most satardays & some tuesdays to watch chelmsford but i hope that something bright happens in the future for canvey you never know what could another micky woodward to buy canvey so jeff wont be able to keep using his back pocket all the time

anyway good luck for the rest of the season