Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Canvey Issue

BOROMAN

I have read with some sadness about the current situation at Canvey. It would be a real shame if Canvey had to take a drop in status having put in all the hardwork to get up to where they are now.

However football is controlled by money and if it aint there, you have to be realistic.

I agree with what was said on a previous post, a much earlier announcement would have given a rescue party more time to get their act together. Don't give up hope though, Canvey are still an attractive bet to someone and a new backer may be around the corner??

One thing that I can't quite see eye to eye with Mr King on, is his belief that Canvey should be getting much greater attendances. He has to remember that:

- The Island itself will only have so many people who want to watch football

- The club has come from small beginnings in a short space of time therefore does not have the established four figure support of an Exeter,Hereford,or even Dagenham for that matter. Ok Grays are getting good gates at present, but would that last if they fell into mid-table mediocrity?

- Off the Island you have Southend doing well..... it's quite probable that there are 400/500 people who would revert back to the likes of Canvey if Southend were doing badly? There is also West Ham and various other local non-league clubs all bunched togther locally. There are only so many football followers to go round.

I hope you take my comments in the way they are intended, I know Romford followers have had their differences in the past but I for one would be sad to see Canvey demise after what they have achieved.

Good Luck and keep fighting.