Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey confirm league withdrawal

ken

Canvey Island have formally told the Conference that they are withdrawing from the league.

Canvey have given written confirmation that they are seeking election to a league lower down the pyramid.

If Canvey's withdrawal is approved by the Conference board next Tuesday, Tamworth will avoid relegation.

Canvey won the Rymans League in 2004 but feel they are unable to continue at Conference level following Jeff King's decision to scale down his investment. BBC

Quote:
ken said:
just a case of waiting to see what teams we will be beating at the lane next season

FA should be confirming that late today. When the results become in the public domain, no-one knows for sure.

It is indeed a sad day and nobody will mourn the passing of the good ol’ days of Conference football more than me. But after all, my allegiance has never been to the Conference League, nor the FA Trophy competition, nor to Jeff King come to that. It has always been to my favourite football team - Canvey Island FC. So, in a way, nothing has changed. I’ll still stand with Brian and Bill to watch home games, I may be able to get to more away games like I did in the old days, I can still enjoy some banter with the lads in the bar, still listen to the dulcet tones of Tony Richardson, “OY! REF! Look at me!!!” and I can still dream of winning the FA Cup (well, getting to the proper rounds anyway). Canvey Island FC is still there, just moved into another era.

The new era looks promising. With the passion that exists on the terraces now being imported into the boardroom, I am actually looking forward to some more terrific seasons. Of playing above our station, of being the loudest fans in the league, of having the highest attendance figures, of winning games with scores of 4-2, 5-1 or 3-0 – just like the old days.

What has passed is now in the past. Let’s look forward and give our full support to the new, phoenix-like Canvey Island FC. Let’s ignore the taunts of other morons who come onto our discussion board to wind us up (they can only do it if we reply!) and stay focussed.

After all, we have got some very happy times ahead.

Quote:
Matt CIFC said:
FA should be confirming that late today. When the results become in the public domain, no-one knows for sure.

Doesn't look like it. This was posted on the Ishmian Forum earlier:-

Quote:
LEAGUES CAN`T AGREE SO IT`S THE FA THAT DECIDE RESTRUCTURE
11/05/2006

The FA`s National League Systems committee will announce the latest round of restructuring late on Thursday, although it may not be revealed publically for another week or so.

The committee met at length on Wednesday when they were hoping that the Football Conference, Southern, Ryman and UniBond leagues` respective officials would agree the restructuring themselves.

However, disagreements (surprise, surprise!) over where certain clubs should be placed in the Pyramid, most notably the division of the Ryman League`s Division One teams, led to a none-too-friendly end to the meeting and left the FA with no other alternative than to make the decisions themselves.

It is all a bit of a shambles – again – but the FA`s hope that the leagues would agree to the changes themselves was always doomed to failure, given past history!

This restructuring is the most comprehensive so far, and must be got right, otherwise all hell will let loose!

Quote:
Merv said:
It is indeed a sad day and nobody will mourn the passing of the good ol’ days of Conference football more than me. But after all, my allegiance has never been to the Conference League, nor the FA Trophy competition, nor to Jeff King come to that. It has always been to my favourite football team - Canvey Island FC. So, in a way, nothing has changed. I’ll still stand with Brian and Bill to watch home games, I may be able to get to more away games like I did in the old days, I can still enjoy some banter with the lads in the bar, still listen to the dulcet tones of Tony Richardson, “OY! REF! Look at me!!!” and I can still dream of winning the FA Cup (well, getting to the proper rounds anyway). Canvey Island FC is still there, just moved into another era.

The new era looks promising. With the passion that exists on the terraces now being imported into the boardroom, I am actually looking forward to some more terrific seasons. Of playing above our station, of being the loudest fans in the league, of having the highest attendance figures, of winning games with scores of 4-2, 5-1 or 3-0 – just like the old days.

What has passed is now in the past. Let’s look forward and give our full support to the new, phoenix-like Canvey Island FC. Let’s ignore the taunts of other morons who come onto our discussion board to wind us up (they can only do it if we reply!) and stay focussed.

After all, we have got some very happy times ahead.

excellent comments, from a real fan

all the best for next season where ever you end up

www.etfc.co.uk