Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Aldershot is there a problem ?

Chris get real - nobody should have to fear attack on the playing fields of non-league football - the way Borg sufferred the other night at the hands (feet?) of Pye was at the very least ABH and should be punished as such - what made Pye do it is only in his head.<P>But lets not paint Borg as some whiter than white "enthusiastic" manager. He's a loud mouthed git known to throw an odd tantrum or two - including the half times teas - who bullies and mouths his way through life and who's every other word from the dug-out would not be used by the speech writers of the Mothers Union!!<P>No problem with that from where I am - he's your manager - but jealous of that??? No way<P>And yes before you ask I have had conversations with some of his ex players who certainly don't rate him as Mother Theresa and no they would never go as far as Pye to vent their feelings! confused.gif" border="0

Whereas violence is wrong I can see where Mr. Crow is coming from.<P>George is and can be enthusiastic (to put it politely) and his language can be agressive (remember that article in the Non League Paper last season). In all that I can see where certain people in certain areas of the game would be "wound up" by him but to then blame him (or Aldershot as a whole, for that matter) for all the violence that happens when they play is not really right.<P>There is a small percentage of Aldershot supporters who must latch onto George's "enthusiastic" style of management and translate this into "its okay for violence". These people (as I'm sure most reasonable Aldershot people would agree) are not representatives of the club and by their connection are really "no brainers" and obviously cannot make the distinction between George's behaviour and "beating the c**p" out of an opposing supporter. I can only say that if that is their motivation then they are very sad.<BR>But all clubs have 'em. Or else who do these people start fights with? Themslves?<P>Gray's can't take an "holier than thou" attitude as after the game, in the club house, it all went off (so I heard) between the two supporters. But not just Grays, any teams supporters who "join in".<P>What's the answer, I haven't got a clue. <P>At Billericay, when Aldershot come down, I can gaurantee the game will attract many of the social dregs who haven't been to a Billericay game all season but as it is Aldershot and with their reputation, they think it'll be a great idea and start a fight. Afterwards, Billericay get saddled with the same brush that everyone ties Aldershot with. From that bad feelings get stoked between some of the true supporters of both teams and the bitching goes around again.<P>Very sad, if you ask me.<P>On one last point, why is it most Aldershot supporters use "jealousy" for an excuse for opposing supporters. Like they are the only successful team in the Ryman league? What is there to be jealous of?<BR>I'm not jealous of Aldershot, Canvey or any team in the league. If I was, I would support them. Is it 'cos you have a certain type of "stadium"? It is old. It needs working on and for preference, I quite like New Lodge. yes, it's a bit "hokey" (to use an American term), it certainly not up to the standard of Aldershot but it is "home".<P>Could it be that we're "jealous" of you ex league standing? Live for the day, please. It is very rare that I mention Billericays Wembely Vase final wins. They are certainly NOT relevant to where the team is today (in fact, on our present performances, the Vase teams would **** all over todays team).<P>I don't understand, sorry. But I wish George well and a hope there is no premanent damage.<P>Good luck to everyone tomorrow and if your team don't win, well just enjoy the beers (I will).<P> tongue.gif" border="0

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Good luck to everyone tomorrow and if your team don't win, well just enjoy the beers (I will).<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's what we should all remember. That's why so many of us support football at this level. That's what makes all this so much fun.<P>Too many people take it all too seriously and go 'over the top' (Mr Borg? Mr Pye? That idiot who stands near me at so many home games?).<P>I look forward to the banter, the tongue in cheek arguments, the beer and the crack. Long may it remain so.<P>Merv

I think we are all trying to make the same point here(??).<P>Of course there is no excuse for the recent assaults on Aldershot staff. (but why are Aldershot to blame for violence afflicted against them ?? confused.gif" border="0<P>And of course Mr Borg is no saint.<P>But how on earth you expect a manager - who must be able to motivate his team (and who cares if he yells at them) , to be some kind of boy scout, and successful I don't honestly know.<P>And to use that to excuse players and supporters ( of whatever club ) for violence is really sad & pathetic.<P>I totally agree with Mervs quote. After all it's only a game of football.<P> smile.gif" border="0

Merv,<P>I agree to a point. But let's not forget that the players don't just play for fun - there's money etc involved. George Borg is employed by Aldershot so his livelihood is at stake.<P>Yes some of his antics are over the top - but the game needs some passion, as long as it doesn't go over the top.<P>Having said that - I hope everyone enjoys their afternoon tomorrow and that as many Ryman clubs go through as possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merv CIFC:<BR><STRONG><BR>Too many people take it all too seriously and go 'over the top' (Mr Borg? Mr Pye? That idiot who stands near me at so many home games?).<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Walk away from Ray then wink.gif" border="0

Let's face it. Football as a whole is in general disrepute from the top to the bottom. Referees being pushed over. Chairman cheating on the fans or at least slagging them off. Players cheating in general. Managers venting their well versed rhetoric all too audibly and obscenely in front of kids, women amd whoever else cares to listen. We all know it goes on and we all continue to love this game. But those who perpetrate these crimes and have generally been the focus for bringing the game into disrepute cannot complain when they are the victims. We as fans (good caring fans who have never harmed, kicked, threatened or been obscene to anybody) have a right to complain and bitterly. George Borg is part of the problem with football, a small part maybe, insignificant even but still a part. OF COURSE I CONDEMN the action against him, I was there and I witnessed it. But as a fellow contributor said 'He should look inwards' a little more...........PS George had nothing to do with the affair at Grays and the guy that started a fight in the bar afterwards I unfortuantely bumped into in a pub down the road. He couldn't even name the team, though he was with fans that go to every game!!

The assault on George Borg can never be condoned,and I wish him a speedy and full recovery.<P>HOWEVER Is it Georges management style that has now led to succesive incidents at Hitchin,Grays and now Harrow.I would suggest that even the board must becoming concerned.<P>The various motivational antics are clearly ruffling both spectators and now players alike.<BR>Calm down George, and look inwards.<P>Any thoughts out there ?

Phil you are quite correct violence should not be tolerated in any sense!<BR>Although there is a need or even a natural feeling to get frustrated at times especially for managers and club officials but it should be contained.<BR>What can be done if people that do not go for the game of football but for trouble instead? True fans will show restraint!<BR>And lastly players that carry out the kind of assult that was witnessed last week should be BANNED for life! there are no excuses what so ever for that kind of behaviour!

Correct. Fans that are 'lucky' enough to witness the hooligans and thugs are less than willing (not being violent people) to get involved with the scum. Christ knows what can be done really Short of concealed cameras and the knowledge that the authorities will deal with it