Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lord Gibson of St. Albans

LSoK

I have no wish to be flamed again so I will post the comments in the NLP without comment.<p>"Gibsons's company, William Verry Holdings, based in East London bought City for an undisclosed fee from Harding, who had been named by the supporters as the man responsible for the club's situation.<p>However Gibson has moved quickly to warn fans that the job of saving the club is far from over. He highlighted the fact that poor attendances had not helped the cause.<p>'Our company has made a loan, which would be better supplemented by donations or payment of season tickets from supporters' said Gibson. 'I'm very interested in trying to get 500 season tickets sold with perhaps a donation added.<p>'We are not a bottomless pit. We bought the club as a subsidiary, which means I have shareholders and directors that I have to satisfy. I'm a quantity surveyor so I am used to battling for every penny on a job. <p>'Based on the information I've been given, I haven't been impressed by the lack of use of the ground and the marketing options available. <p>'I think a lot more could have been done in that direction'.<p>..............................<p>The clubs debt is believed to be about £300,000 and co-manager Steve Cook said the players alone are owed more than £20,000<p>[Cllr] Macmillan said that the councillor recognised that the club wanted to move to a new ground in the long term and said that such a move would be to a green field site".<p>Best of luck.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mr Sparrow:

<strong>And the point that you are trying to make is....?</strong><hr></blockquote><p>The way I read the statement, he may have paid off the debts this time round but he might not do the same in the future, no doubt depending on the circumstances at the time. All clubs who mainly rely on one person/company, and this is most clubs between the very big and those which are in essence the football arm of a social club and therefore tend to be mutual, are in same boat.

I take the view that the local and non-league press is a medium to maintain the profile of The Club.<p>Any quote attributed to any Official should be treated with some caution. In John Gibson's case, it is an interesting diversion to analyse what he is reported to have said but dangerous to jump to firm conclusions. We can ask him.

>>Mr Sparrow <p>I said that I didn't want to be flamed again and I am merely reporting what was printed. <p>>>AFF

I think it is a good idea to ask him. Clarence Park is a lot of land. Why should the saints need a Green Field site? What does he mean when he states that marketing opportunities have not been looked at?<p>BTW have you seen the Jarman Park facilities at Hemel Hempstead?

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AFF:

<strong>I take the view that the local and non-league press is a medium to maintain the profile of The Club.<p>Any quote attributed to any Official should be treated with some caution. In John Gibson's case, it is an interesting diversion to analyse what he is reported to have said but dangerous to jump to firm conclusions. We can ask him.</strong><hr></blockquote><p>I am with you on this one. However, don't forget Phil Wallace stopped funding Boreham Wood because of the apathy of local residents. In the case of St Albans, it isn't you lot who would be the cause of a similar thing happening to your club a few years down the line, but those who would rather go and watch Watford once in a blue moon than St Albans more often. Anything that maintains or, better still, improves the profile of the club can only be good so if you can get friends to turn up who never bothered going before or can get people who gave up in the last few years to come back, give it a go. I don't know what St Albans' "Football in the Community" effort is like, but that is a major way of getting local councillors, schools, etc. on your side.<p>Give it a go, good luck and hopefully your new chairman won't regret his decision to back the club.