Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Andy Douglas - Stabbing

Some of you may have heard you rave on about this Grays striker, probably one of the best that I have seen at this level. Here is the report:<P><BR>News Star striker stabbed!<P>By Steve Rogers<BR>Date: 3/10/2001<P>Grays Athletic star striker, Andy Douglas, who is leading the way in the scoring charts this season, was almost fatally stabbed on Monday night after he disturbed a burglar at his friends flat. <P>Douglas had been on a night out after the defeat at Purfleet, and had gone back with Paulo Vernazza, the Watford and former Arsenal midfielder, to Vernazza's flat where they disturbed the burglar. The burglar attacked the pair, Vernazza sufferring stab wounds to the leg, but more tragically Douglas suffered stab wounds to both the chest and neck. <P>It was thought that Douglas may not survive the attack as he lost over 8 pints of blood, much of which has now been replaced. The nursing staff admitted this morning to Grays manager Craig Edwards that they couldn't believe that he was still alive. <P>Edwards spent most of yesterday with Douglas, and speaking exclusively to NLOTN this afternoon he said: "Andy is now awake and coherent, but is very week. We expect that he will be in hospital for at least a month. Andy is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, and has no enemies. He comes from a strong family who attend most of the games". <P>Edwards also asked NLOTN to pass on the thanks and appreciation from both Grays Athletic FC and the Douglas family for all the support and calls that have already been received from supporters and clubs alike. Edwards particularly mentioned George Borg, who has offered any help that he and Aldershot Town can. <P>NLOTN would also like to pass on their thoughts and support to Andy and his family, and wish Andy a speedy and full recovery so that he is able to return to the field of play and start tormenting the defences once again.

I am glad this got a reaction, Douglas is a quality player and we look forward to seeing him play again.<P>I felt I had to post this because even though I don't support Grays (and I am no great fan of theirs), they don't get the exposure they sometimes deserve and I wonder how many responses the original message would have got if it were a shots player??<P>Sorry to sound cynical, but when you compare this to the amount of exposure Borg got for that moment of madness by Mark 'look Ma, no Brains' Pye and the reaction that the Douglas incident created, well they don't come near do they? <P>Maybe, it's because the Borg attack was witnessed. In any way you look at it, neither were about football and were completely unnecessary.<P>I'll get off my soap box now...

Steve,<P>I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. From what I've seen on various websites the whole of the Ryman community is shocked by this attack and hopes that Andy Douglas makes a swift recovery.<P>Although Grays are not flavour of the month in Hampshire at the moment - I hope that Andy is soon back playing; he certainly has loads of talent and from all accounts is a nice guy as well.

Andy,<P>I am not having a go at the shots. I just feel that had Douglas been at a more supported club, there would have been a greater reaction. I did see some mention of the incident on the shots board.<P>I suppose it doesn't really matter too much how we all react as long as Douglas is back and the attacker is dealt with.

All genuine and sensible football fans will want to join together in wishing this young man a very speedy recovery.<P>I am sincere in saying that I would far rather see him score a hat-trick against Canvey than lying in a hospital bed.<P>We all enjoy having a dig at each other on this message board, but underneath we are all human beings, united in our love of football and the rivalry that goes with it.<P>Get well/scoring again soon.<P>Merv

I see from a local Islington rag that I pick up on my travels that Andy pleaded with the burglar before being assaulted - thats terryfying and I am sure the wishes of all the non league footballing community will wish him a speedy recovery.<P>On a not really lighter note the burglar fled leaving his trainers - trouble is in that part of North London trainerless youths are a common sight due to street muggings so he wouldn't have stood out!! frown.gif" border="0

Hey Merv we would all rather see Andy score a hatrick against you than be in a hospital bed, as he has already done it against us this season. <BR>Lets all hope he makes a speedy recovery back to FULL fitness and is back where he belongs on the football pitch!! wink.gif" border="0 wink.gif" border="0