Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interested in the Ladies?

pabird

My eldest granddaughter played her first under 10s league match last Sunday and for me a very thought provoking experience.

Having always thought of ladies football as a sideshow of very little interest it was truly amazing to watch the energy and no little skills applied by these fledgling little ladies.

It is a different game than the male testosterone filled boys game with Dads (and granddads) bellowing instruction to a 9 year old already showing more talent than they ever had.

The atmosphere is of a very different ilk but with clubs demanding FA qualified coaches and a strict code of conduct for supporters.

Derby County have a team in the league my granddaughter plays in and the conclusion I came to was that girls-Ladies football is a splendid sport to be interested in but only if you are prepared to accept that it is almost a different sport to the men’s game.

It will never be as quick or as powerful but it is exciting and it is skilful and it has a grace sadly missing from the testosterone-fuelled men’s game.

I understand that the game is one of the Uks fastest growing participation sports and done properly could create deeper interest and further financial income to CIFC.

I'd definately like to see it happen at some point, as I think there are a number of clubs around this level who do run a ladies team. However, we are probably a long way off that yet, as working to a strict (unknown) budget means we can't afford to stray much from our current path.

Quote:
ronin said:

What were you expecting to happen?

promoting ourself in schools, having youth teams from around the area playing games at park lane, etc....all things that were suggested during the close season. i understand its not that easy, but i was just wondering if anything had happened.

There is plenty of things going on behind the scenes. In response to Ribbit, the Fireworks night is going to be happening again this year. I was a huge success last year with people from all over the Island coming and enjoying the mammoth display. I can't remember the date off the top of my head

In regards to Youth Teams, I'm sure that you are aware the Canvey Island FC's Youth Tournament was only a couple of weeks ago. 80 teams from all over Essex participated over 2 days. Despite not being at Park Lane which would have been impossible, this was a great weekend and excellent press for the club to be able to organise such and event. Leon, Steve, Stuart, and Ricky also stayed for the Sunday and presented trophies, signed autographs etc. CIFC Youth & Gary Sutton to thank for that one.

With the schools on the Island, we are just about to appear in the Furtherwick Park newsletter. This was for the input we had with their school sports day over the summer. This was something I was very pleased with, and there have been a few kids at Park Lane who have said they've started coming as a result.

We will also be donating some signed shirts etc to Castle View school as a thank you for allowing us for using their facilities for the Cricket Match. Speaking of which, this game raised £250 for local charity Little Haven's Childrens Hospice. This will be publicised further when they have a representative available to visit Park Lane on a match day (they're very busy!)

We will be looking at new ways of involving the local schools, and I have developed links at quite a few of them.

Quote:
Yellow Bungle said:
How about Benfleet?

The board at the Station Garage seems to have disappeared this season, and all the shops still have Southend posters in their windows.

can we not put boards up advertising away games, i dont mean loads, how about 4/5 dotted around the island?

There a rules set down in place when it comes to advertising in the community. We are only allowed to put those boards up on places that sponsor the football club, or if we receive a special okay from the Council.