Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Dave McGhee

ronin

Think Parms is over at Wivenhoe now.

I liked Dave - he was determined and I felt gave 100%.

I particularly liked his determination to claw back a first team place after he was put on the transfer list - that took some guts and determination.

Perhaps he finally realised that Jeff or Glenn didn't really appreciate his style and felt he finally needed a change. Certainly wouldn't have minded him back at the Lane.......

Heard rumours about Bimson going to Wivenhoe as well.

Wivenhoe have certainly got themselves some experienced players there.

Sort of experience and level heads we could perhaps have done with - and yes that was a leading question.......how can Wivenhoe attract & afford them?

Mad dog and Bimson both defenders who can also push forward and certainly give a wake up call to a back line that at times is a little creaky.

Quote:
A Non E Mouse said:
.......how can Wivenhoe attract & afford them?

Thats a question for which I've sought a solution since our recent financial transformation. I comfort myself by deeming patience is key, but how can many of the clubs in the pyramid above us afford to maintain their status (unless they've all got sugar daddies, but I doubt it). I dont want to get into specific examples, but the list to choose from is endless, what have any of these clubs got that we haven't (or will not have) ?

Perhaps Im being niaive, but I still maintain our Canvey brand is significant in attracting some strength to our squad, but withevery point dropped the appeal of 'brand-canvey' must be diluting. We must capitalise on all of the strengths available.
......that said at this level the alcohol licensing freedoms alone are worth the sacrafice.

I think I heard this from our Chairman Mr Rugg at the start of the season..

"we are starting from scratch, we have no financial reserves and need to build up over a couple of years before we will be able to compete financially with other clubs at our level."

To me that is a very sensible and realistic approach.

I think while we build our club we "the fans" need to do our bit and make sure that we keep those home gates above 300, if we do that and consolidate with a mid table target this season. Things will soon look Rosy!!!

Certainly agree with Mr Ruggs sentiments and can appreciate we have little or nothing in the kitty. I am still curious how other clubs at our level can afford these players on the crowds that they get.

As for "Brand Canvey" mentioned by LOS I feel we still have the name and a passion for playing football the right way but a lot of players probably only ever came to Canvey because of Jeff and his cash. Other players, who may well have been approached by Canvey, never ever gave the club a chance because they didn't feel they could do the job with the management team that was here.

Unfortuantely IMHO it's a thin line in building up the cash reserves and competing. If we don't get results and some form of success the crowd levels may drop which will effect the amount of cash available for the manager and squad next season. However, I'm still encouraged by our support especially topping 400 against Aveley.

If we can maintain a support in excess of 300 then that will soon start to build up the funds certainly allowing us to compete at this level in a season or two's time against clubs who only average 100 plus. But then surely fans will expect success after this building process and the pressure will then be on the players and management to achieve this?

Totally agree, the important thing is crowd consistency, and in a couple of years who knows? Remembering back to the Ryman prem days (now largely conf south) there were clubs who couldn't even compete against our current crowd levels – a decent trust fund akin to Wingate & Finchleys would now be just grand. Plus there is the added bonus of yielding the maturity of the current young and inexperienced squad – but I think this would've been accelerated by the addition of a couple of the new wivenhoe recruits, ensuring the crowd consistency. I believe the 2 are intrinsically linked, keeping the interest is key.

I think our current youngsters are doing just fine, I do worry when we get a few injured, I just hope we can keep our front and backroom team moving forward at the current rate!!

The atmosphere around the club, is great (not just match days).

There seems to be more kids about the place and the odd new face appears on the coach, a bit more depth would be nice, but I would not swap that or a money orientated transfer from another club for our family atmosphere!!

League champions 2008 is a good target!!!

Mob etc

pleased to hear things are going well for Canvey. Enthusiasm is key(as well as money) to your survival and your facilities and crowds etc are better than quite a few in our league and the Conf. South.

Are the fans doing more fundraising now than when Jeff was there? If so do you think he may have stayed if that had been the case.

A lot more and no he probably would not!!

The difference is they probably would not have done it, we had a lot of hangers on then and people percieved that although Jeff was losing money hand over fist any money going into the club would encourage them!!