Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Cool Votes from David, Not Mine.

pabird

Knighthoods and other honours have a history, which is of no particular interest to me or millions of others.

What is true is that people of merit do derive great pleasure from being rewarded for standards above the norm in their chosen occupation or charitable activities.

In sport high achievers or people who produce to allow others to gain pleasure from sport can move up the honours list to eventual Knighthood or Dame (hood?)

Football has a restricted list of those that achieved Knighthoods and apart from world cup winners the standard is so high great men of the game such as Bill Shankly and Bill Nicholson failed to make the honoured ranks.

Now this labour government anxious to collect votes and look cool appear to be proposing a knighthood for David Beckham? Why?

it has nothing to do with a skill off comunicating, the ambasidor has nothing to do with the organisation, it is an examle of the comercial aspect, and wether you agree or not Beckham is the most famous footballer in the world. on a comercial front this alone gives England a very good chance of getting the world cup, which can only be a good thing. as far as him getting a knighthood, im not a fan of anyone getting an award for just doing their job, but while Beckham was at the top of his game he was amazing for England.

it is probably for all the stuff he does for kids,charities etc etc alot of which goes unnoticed because he is a footballer and the press would rather concentrate on bad press as it sells more papers,he has probably done more than most if not all english footballers for kids football with his soccer schools and the charities that he continually raises money for plus i am led to believe that a percentage of some of his commercial activities goes to charities rather than all in his pocket like some other people who have been knighted in the past.

well given that the entire England cricket squad were honoured for beating one other country just twice last year it looks like honours can be awarded for achievements which though admirable are hardly outstanding. Beckham has been a good England player and captain and may well deserve a medal for his overall contribution and charitable work but certainly not a knighthood. If he does get a knighthood what should the World Cup 66 winning team get ????

They won the world cup and it took two generations before the honours were made, Beckham failed as a team member and as an individual every time a top International trophy was at stake.

Added to which I cannot remember any of thoe 66 team having £50m they could afford to be generous with.

But the final judgment call when considering who gets a knighthood Bobby Moore did not! get to be Sir Bobby and Beckham is no more famous than Bobby was.

agreed as well,the arguement i am making is for him getting a knighthood,i am not saying others don't deserve it but i wouldn't go so far to give it to people for just winning a world cup,however great us footy fans may think that is.a knighthood should be awarded because of outstanding services to the country and its inhabitants and beckham imo certainly does his fair share for the sick the young etc etc.every time he is in england he goes to work at his soccer school that he started and i understand that when he retires he wants to dedicate his time to helping kids from unfortunate backgrounds to actually do something with their life,how many of the world cup winning squad of 66 would have done the same had they had the money he has got.for a start stiles,greaves and a few others would of p1ssed the lot up the wall!!

there are thousands of people who deserve knighthoods far more than others,i mean what has alex ferguson actually put back into football in this country,if anything he has actually hindered it at times by pulling players out of the england squad.All his millions and what has he actually put back in???