Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Westley Buys Rushden & Diamonds

ronin

Taken a while but Graham Westley is back.

Westley set to take over

GRAHAM WESTLEY is ready to take control of Rushden & Diamonds.

The former Stevenage Borough boss seems certain to be confirmed as Nene Park's new owner and first-team manager just over a month after Paul Hart was sacked along with coaches Ian Bowyer and Ian Woan.

Current chairman Helen Thompson confirmed this morning that the club are expecting to issue an official statement over the manager's job on Wednesday when the contracts have been signed.

However caretaker-

manager Tony Godden revealed that Saturday's 3-2 defeat at St Albans City was his final game in charge.

It saw the Diamonds

dropping into the Nationwide Conference's relegation zone after extending their

dreadful run of form to 11 league games without a win.

It is believed that a deal has already been agreed for ex-Farnborough owner

Westley and businessman Colin Hill – brother of

Weymouth boss Garry – to take over the cash-strapped club with financial investment as well as management of the struggling squad.

Westley and Hill have kept a low profile over the last five weeks as speculation grew over their arrival amid

further rumours linking

former Diamonds striker Colin West with the manager's job.

Other possible candidates were thought to include Frank Gray, Chris Wilder, John Hollins, Nigel Spackman and Mark McGhee.

Godden, who returned to Nene Park in the summer as goalkeeping coach and led them into the FA Cup second round during his spell in charge, may leave Diamonds when Westley comes in.

But the new boss only has until Thursday evening to strengthen the squad with any loan signings before the transfer window closes. It

re-opens in January.

Godden said: "I think this was my last game in charge as caretaker-manager.

"It has gone on for too long now and this needs to be sorted out.

"I've told the board that if somebody else is coming in then I will give them my

support as best I can and take it from there.

"But it needs to be done and the place needs stability at the moment.

"The players don't know what's happening the longer this goes on with more rumours. It has got to be stopped.

"I don't know if anyone (a potential investor) was watching the game and I don't care.

"At the end of the day all I could concentrate on was

trying to get a result and that didn't happen.

"Personally I'm quite sure and hopeful there will be an announcement made in the early part of the week.

"If someone is coming in they have got to bring

players in by Thursday.

"I still think we are capable of putting a run together over five or six games as long as the spirit stays here and nobody spoils that. We said before the game on Saturday that it was a six-pointer for us."

n

20 November 2006

http://www.ketteringeveningtelegraph.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=662&ArticleID=1887511

• 3 weeks later...