Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

July 1st 2007

Smoking doesn't give a brief 'kick'. I think you may have tobacco confused with another herb that people smoke.

If you live in an industrialized area, the air you breathe is far worse for you than cigarette smoke. Cars, busses, big trucks, factories, etc, all combined put out far more pollutants and harmful fumes than one stops to think about.

I don't know about everyone, but I am sure most start smoking long before love comes into the picture. Before even meeting the 'one', smoking is already a part of life.

Drinking can affect the lives of others if you happen to get behind the wheel of a car, or make other judgement errors while drinking.

Yes, when you love someone, you want to do all you can to be with that person for as long as you can. However, even if you quit smoking, you could still die early from any number of causes. I know people who never smoked, and were rarely, if ever, around cigarette smoke and still died of lung cancer or a heart attack.

Quote:
Little Miss Urchin said:
Yes I drink but how does my drinking risk the lives of others?

As for love; surely meeting someone special would make you, or at least encourage you to do what it takes to spend as many years together as possible.

I am a smoker and i am not against the ban,but drinking can cause as much damage in different ways.
I do not smoke in doors and have never smoked where people are eating.If i have had a nice meal i will pop outside to have my ciggie.
However i drink as much in a year as some may drink in a 'good' night.I have been drunk twice in my life,and that was by accident.However today people go out to get drunk.
Drinking can seriously effect the family life through domestic abuse and can be a killer to the individual through self abuse and death from drink driving.The problems related to liver damage are rising greater than smoking related disease.
Smoking is not good for you but neither is alcohol.

Quote:
Little Miss Urchin said:

[color:"red"]
Yes I drink but how does my drinking risk the lives of others? [color:"black"]

As for love; surely meeting someone special would make you, or at least encourage you to do what it takes to spend as many years together as possible.

You've obviously never seen any of the police videos of Chavettes turning out of clubs in places like Sarfend at 3 in the morning after downing 10 large vodka's and Red Bulls, and half a dozen breezers.

Not only a danger to themselves, but a danger to anybody within 100 yards !

Is that a Vauxhall Chavette? (Most of the youngsters on here won't remember the Chevette.... instantly forgettable it's true).

Minor point, but not everyone who has a drink (maybe even two) drives while still under the influence. It's not actually compulsory, you see. You are allowed to walk home, get a bus, train, tube or cab.

It is not even compulsory to sing, roar, shout, start fights, wear traffic cones as hats, tell your best friend you love them, buy a kebab or solve all major questions of philosophy, politics, religion and football. (I usually do, but I'm bug gered if I can remember the answer in the morning).

• 2 weeks later...

To add to this thread I went to the Circus Tavern at Purfleet to watch the afternoon session of the darts. Was unbearably smokey with no decent ventilation at all and the only place that was non smoking was at the bar!!!!

Made me feel quite ill at times. Will be glad if I go back there next year that the new rules will be in place.

Quote:
Are some people seriously suggesting that if I meet up with someone a couple of times a week, I drink alcoholic beverages, the drink soft drinks, they smoke, I don't, I'll be doing them as much damage to them with my alcohol as they're doing to me with their smoke??

If you count it on a time by time basis, I'd have to say yes. Being around cigarette smoke once does not increase your chances of health problems. Being around someone drinking may or may not increase your chances of harm unless that person is behind the wheel or has a bad temper while drinking. The more you are around either smoke or someone drinking, the more risk you are taking.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Moo
Quote:
Are some people seriously suggesting that if I meet up with someone a couple of times a week, I drink alcoholic beverages, the drink soft drinks, they smoke, I don't, I'll be doing them as much damage to them with my alcohol as they're doing to me with their smoke??

If you count it on a time by time basis, I'd have to say yes. Being around cigarette smoke once does not increase your chances of health problems. Being around someone drinking may or may not increase your chances of harm unless that person is behind the wheel or has a bad temper while drinking. The more you are around either smoke or someone drinking, the more risk you are taking.

What is it you do when drinking that puts people at risk? you never know we may enjoy it!

What I was saying is that over time, being around smoke may be harmful, but being around it one time is not going to kill you. If someone goes into a drunken rage and either harms or kills you, the odds of being hurt by someone drinking are higher than by being around someone who smokes.

I have nothing against drinking, because I do it myself.