Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island 1-2 AFC Hornchurch

Matt H

A very balanced game turned into a good piece of afternoon's entertainment, spoilt only by a very inconsistant referee.

My evaluation of the two teams were that if you were to merge the best bits from each team, it would be unstoppable.

Canvey were very good on the floor, but Hornchurch dominated in the air, which they used to their advantage. Canvey had more possession of the ball, but Hornchurch had a greater physical presence and knew how to stop us. Canvey had pacy wingers and pushed the ball about well. Hornchurch had pacy forwards and used the long ball well.

In the end it was a penalty that divided the two teams and possibly the scoreline of 1-1 would've been a truer reflection of the afternoon's events. End to end stuff with both 'Keepers called into action on numerous occasions. Ricky Wiseman having to be alert and quick off his line while Dale Brightly pulled off some stunning one-handed saves.

Both sets of fans were in fine voice with chants of Yellow/Red Army continuing to the final minute and both sets of players appeared to appreciate the support.

I will now put on my yellow tinted spectacles for some biased issues:

The Referee's inconsistancy put a damper on some things. He let niggly fouls go; handballs, elbows, shirt-pulling. He was very dubious on what fouls were worthy of cards and which weren't.

Again, like the Enfield game I think some of Canvey's positional play, particularly on the left seemed extremely poor and it seems to be the same players doing it week, after week. I don't think names need to be mentioned as those around me all agreed on the culprits.

Credit to Hornchurch, their players used their experience, particularly at the back and of course Colin McBride is no mug, his half-time team talk did the trick in the middle of the park and the Urchins knew where to shut us down and how to counter us on the break.

We couldn't break them down in the end and although I have no complaints about the penalty decision it seemed to take the sparkle off the game that it was that which would determine the winner.

Excellent goal from Ryan Edgar for Canvey's equaliser, a thunderous strike, which Hornchurch knew they didn't want to let happen again.

Lets get back on track after this festive blip and take revenge against Tilbury next weekend.

PS. How hungry were the Urchins down that end? We were out of burgers, buns and bacon by half-time! shocked

Like Matt, I have no real complaints about the final score although a draw might have been a fairer result. But footy is all about taking your chances and Canvey squandered a few towards the end.

Thought we missed Dobbo at the back and up front, wouldn't it be nice to have someone to stay out on the left in order to give us width when we need it?

Credit to Hornchurch for a professional performance. But credit also to the young lads from Canvey. Who would have put their summer bonus on us being so high in the league by Christmas? These boys grow every game and with so much youth, the future looks bright, the future looks yellow.

I thought we played OK today. Ryan's goal was superb. He's been threatening to come up with a goal like that all season.

Referee spoilt the game in my opinion with some awful decisions. Still don't think it was a penalty but that's the way it goes.

Good noise created by the Yellow Army who outsung a rather subdued Hornchurch support.

I think we done more than ok Yellow! There`s not many times in a season where a defeat is easy to take but today is one of those days. AFC Hornchurch were stronger and fitter in most areas of the pitch but for long spells of the game we outplayed them.

Roberts and Edgar were outstanding today with Ryan confirming his return to fitness by scoring a contender for goal of the season.

The unbeaten run had to end at some stage but for it to end today in the manner we played is no disgrace, well played Yellows

Can anyone please confirm the 64th minute booking for Canvey - this was the one over in the left hand corner of the ground at the home end (shortly after the second HFC goal).

I think it was Chris Bourne who was booked, but would be grateful if someone could confirm (or rectify if necessary).

From my notes, it was indeed Craig Davidson.

I think we played well today and were a little unfortunate not to end up with a draw.

Hornchurch are not exactly the prettiest team to watch with their lumpy play but it is certainly effective and they showed why they are top of the league.

If Hornchurch are the best team in this league, then we are surely the 2nd best because i thought our first half display was fantastic. Fluid play, nice touches and everyone enjoyed watching them while they did it. We let the penalty knock the stuffing out of us (no christmas pun intended!) but overall i think that if we keep playing like that, we will certainly be promotion favourites!

By the way, was that Russell Brand playing for Hornchurch? Needs to shave that rug off and stop talking about ballbags. Fu*king ponce! lol

When I started reading this thread I did not know what to expect, all I can now say is it is a bearth of freash air to read comments that are not biased to your own team, not being able to go to the match (working in Sth Korea) all I can say is I now wish Canvey and its real non league supporters all the very bet for the New Year.

Keep the faith fellow non league supporters

good game all round, thought we deserved a point out of it; but thats life!

possibly the most biased match report ever can be found on the afc website here: http://www.afchornchurch.com/2006/reports/39.shtml.

'The tide was out, thick mudbanks lined the meandering trickle of river as we crossed the bridge. It was dull, misty and gloomy and drizzly. The £1.50 rip off car park charge did not help raise the spirits, and many of the 300 Urchins supporters were unhappy about having to hike half way round the ground to gain access via the unwanted persons, or to give it its correct name, the visiting supporters entrance. Come kick off time and there was an official attendance of 702 inside the ground. The teams changed ends, and – so much for segregation – so did both sets of supporters'

they also go on to moan about our drum!

I thought yesterday's performance was very strong by what is a very youthful and exciting canvey side.

Without doubt we are the more attractive footballing side, during long periods of the game especially the last 20 minutes of the 1st half Hornchurch could not get near us. A typical Colin Mcbride team played long ball football throughout.

If dobbo was fit today would we have lost the game?

Its clear Hornchurch have the extra funds to bring in the experienced Ryman Prem / Conf South players and to be fair that is what will win them this league.

Apparently todays away following was 140, not the 300 stated in a previous post.

Good luck to Hornchurch for the rest of the season, that's hope we are both playing Ryman Prem football next season.

See you all Saturday

We certainly deserved a point yesterday but [****!!****] happens and I can't really complain about the way in which we lost.

Before the game kicked off I was expecting to see something special from the Hornchurch side that have become champions elect and they started very brightly closing us down immediately and not letting us settle and grabbing an early goal. After the goal we started to settle and started to use the width and got into our stride and started to force Hornchurch back. To be honest Hx were a good side but by the end of the game I wasn't as impressed as I thought I was going to be.

You sort of felt that Dobbo may have made a difference in that type of game and it was good to see Dave Kreyling back in action. Again I felt we had the better options and between Clyde Roberts and Ryan Edgar we won the midfield battle - getting the ball wide and using it to great effect. As mentioned there was the odd problem with some players positional play. Leon Gordon seems to have gone a touch quiet on the far side with more of the ball coming down the other wing via Chris Bourne and Lee Jay. I think the power and determination of Curran and Rugg up front also took Hx by suprise as they were not going to be dislodged so easily from the ball. Nicky Rugg is certainly one on a fair sized list for my player of the season at the moment - powerful and 100% committed in every game I think I've seen him play. He's one of those that gives us that never say die attitude. In the final 10 minutes we tactically went three at the back but this just seemed to push Hx back deeper with them countering on the break and using their speed to good effect. Canvey continued to create more chances but failed to get that stroke of luck which we seemed to get in abundance at Potters Bar.

I think you only have to remember the reactions of the Hornchurch players at the final whistle to appreciate that they knew they had to pull out all the stops to beat a young, determined Canvey side and come away with a result.

A good game at the end of the day and hopefully revenge on Tilbury next Saturday

Originally Posted By: ronin
Had a little chuckle when i read that report lastnight, it`s nice to know the Urchin propaganda machine is still working.

he he..you have to read daggsy's reports in the manner in which he writes them...and everyone gets it not just you lot...:o)

well done yesterday...you have a good young team there and if they can maintain their standards throughout the season you may well be in with a shout come april...

My account.

First time at the Lane this season. Enjoyed the game and thought the pace of this level was very fast.

Hornchurch seemed to start really fast and I feared a trouncing, but good to see we got more into it as time went on.

In all as mentions already state, they seemed fitter, faster, stronger and just had that look about them which suggests they will b the clear winners of the league at the end of the day.

Don’t agree with mentions that the ref had a bad game. I thought he tried to keep the game flowing and I don’t mind it sometimes at he end of the day when you have two teams getting stuck in and there is the shirt tugging and other little incidents going on. Too much stop start these days.

Player mentions

Was impressed with Roberts and Edgar and they look exciting prospects. Thought that 11 Lee Jay looked a little light weight, not able to tackle, was put off challenging for any headers and relies on a trusty foot, but overall, his contribution in games like these meant we were down to 10 men.

Was impressed by their 10 striker Simon Parker. What a handful, pacy and good in the air. Must be playing well below his level.

Agree regarding Parker. Thought he gave our defence plenty of headaches all afternoon.

Janney still looks a class act as well.

have only quickly looked through the tapes and i wasnt convinced of the pen on the day and i think it is even more dubious now. good game (for a boxing day) shame the ref was so bad (he was cr@p for both teams so it wasnt an excuse) draw would have been a fair result but i think they will be very beatable at their place

Originally Posted By: ShedBoy

Apparently todays away following was 140, not the 300 stated in a previous post.

Nice to hear some opposition fans for a change.
I believe your average for the season is around the three hundred mark,and JK pulled out due to an average gate of 400.
560 from Canvey, YOUR HAVING A LAUGH!

Originally Posted By: A Non E Mouse
Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
if they can maintain their standards throughout the season you may well be in with a shout come april...

Presume you mean we'll be in with a shout for the title Unc - not play offs whistle Glad to see you recognised a quality side.....

I said a good young side...but a long way to go perhaps...

I saw enough on saturday to think that a couple of experienced battle hardened warriors like macca and purds alongside davidson will be needed at park lane to win the ryman north title...its not for the faint hearted I am afraid and recall only too well the last time we were in this league...good young side for sure and maybe play offs is my prediction..but who can say so early...it will however get harder as the winter stretches on...well done anyway...was just what I expected and good value for money.....no complaints at all from me and my lot...we enjoyed the day out...