Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island 1-2 AFC Hornchurch

Matt H

Originally Posted By: Digger The Cat
Originally Posted By: ShedBoy

Apparently todays away following was 140, not the 300 stated in a previous post.

Nice to hear some opposition fans for a change.
I believe your average for the season is around the three hundred mark,and JK pulled out due to an average gate of 400.
560 from Canvey, YOUR HAVING A LAUGH!

I would say that's about right. Alot of people I haven't seen for a while at the Lane were there yesterday.

Originally Posted By: YELLOW
Originally Posted By: Digger The Cat
Originally Posted By: ShedBoy

Apparently todays away following was 140, not the 300 stated in a previous post.

Nice to hear some opposition fans for a change.
I believe your average for the season is around the three hundred mark,and JK pulled out due to an average gate of 400.
560 from Canvey, YOUR HAVING A LAUGH!

I would say that's about right. Alot of people I haven't seen for a while at the Lane were there yesterday.

as everyone knows I cannot count...:o)

but digger is right...there were at least 150 U's behind the goal in the first half (prawnies retired to the chelsea game in the 2nd knowing the points were safe... whistle) and another 100 plus to the right of me in the main stand.....

by the way many came through the 'home' gate as I and mine did...

A great game and different to what I expected: we settled much quicker than I thought and deserved to take the lead, but Canvey had good posession of the ball and look a good home side, we grinded out the win.

I would expect Canvey to be in play-offs come end of season, 10 points behind us with 3 games extra played is too much i think to pull back

Most of the reports are acceptably accurate Canvey V urchins but for the final 15 minutes.

When have you ever seen league leaders in such a state of panic, players feigning injury, players booked for wasting time and general disarray in the urchin ranks with their support begging for the final whistle.

2 –1 to either side or a draw would have been acceptable but we should take great pride in the manner in which our younger players are learning the game (on the floor) and the future is yellow playing in the yellow tradition.

Good to see some old friends playing for the urchins and both sides should look for a positive change in status at season end.

Most of the reports are acceptably accurate Canvey V urchins but for the final 15 minutes.

When have you ever seen league leaders in such a state of panic, players feigning injury, players booked for wasting time and general disarray in the urchin ranks with their support begging for the final whistle.

2 –1 to either side or a draw would have been acceptable but we should take great pride in the manner in which our younger players are learning the game (on the floor) and the future is yellow playing in the yellow tradition.

Good to see some old friends playing for the urchins and both sides should look for a positive change in status at season end.

Oops!! still if its worth saying say it twice.

With an attendance of 702, I would say at least 200, maybe even 250 were Urchins. There was the loud lot on the North terrace in the first half, there was quite a few cheers coming from the seats when they scored plus a dozen or so standing with us behind the sea-wall goal to witness Ryan Edgar's equaliser in close-up.

i would of said there were no more than 200-220 urchins in the ground,we tend not to all stand in the same place(somewhat to the annoyance of some of our fans),some like my girlfriends dad and son with friends came in through the home turnstiles as they don't use the forum and were unaware of the away turnstiles.I would of liked to see more away support there but in all reality if we was to have took 150 to canvey it would be a decent support.And would of probably been more had people not been away on boxing day(saying that i know a couple of people who were on the coach who probably only came as they were back from uni etc etc)

Now onto the game,i would of settled for a draw at half time as i was surprised soemwhat how well canvey plated,especially after seeing them in the cup earlier this season,i thought canvey had a lot of play but you expect that from a home side with a big crowd behind them.I thought we had the better chances second half and had we gone 3-1 up just after the penalty it could of easily become 4 or 5 - 1 but to canveys credit they kep plugging away.For me it was a blatent penalty,i don't usually watch the video replays as i prefer to just remember the goals and incidents as i see it and won't be watching this one again but i thought it was 100% nailed on and we should of had a penalty first half when jesus(ours) stayed on his feet when he could of quite easily gone down but carried on and hit the side netting.Still after everything i have put on here i did think our keeper the canvey lad Dale brightly was probably our best player with 3-4 crucial saves,and nice to see the usual suspects in the bar after the game

Originally Posted By: pabird

have much respect for your footie knowledge pabird but don't agree with your comments...firstly I never believed we would lose the game throughout the 90 minutes....the goal was an excellent strike but purds knows he should have closed the lad down earlier....brightly made some 'foto shoot' saves but in truth canvey never looked like scoring a second....as for 'on the ground'...ha ha....the old chestnut...macca was my mom and won everything in the air coming at him....

who kicked them up there and down that middle channel....? tongue

wasn't us was it....:o)

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin

have much respect for your footie knowledge pabird but don't agree with your comments...firstly I never believed we would lose the game throughout the 90 minutes....the goal was an excellent strike but purds knows he should have closed the lad down earlier....brightly made some 'foto shoot' saves but in truth canvey never looked like scoring a second....as for 'on the ground'...ha ha....the old chestnut...macca was my mom and won everything in the air coming at him....

Did you write the AFC Horchurch match report as well Uncle? Sure sounds like the same blinkered view wink

Originally Posted By: ronin

Did you write the AFC Horchurch match report as well Uncle? Sure sounds like the same blinkered view wink

no mate..it was far to objective to have come from my hands... yay

Originally Posted By: ronin

no mate..it was far to objective to have come from my hands... yay

So good he said it twice!!!

Server's rather slow as well, so sometimes you click on it again to make sure it's gone through and get a double post.

No complaints here, a full blooded Boxing Day match which could have gone either way, or to be fair a 2 - 2 draw. I thought Hxxx were a different class for the half an hour but after that we more than matched them. They will win this league easily but we aint that far behind them and we should go up next season if not this via the play offs. We should all be proud of the progress the lads have made this season. Up the Gulls !

That was the first game this season that we've lost (or even drawn, come to that) and I've walked away and not felt dejected afterwards. I thoroughly enjoyed everything except not sharing the points, which would've been a fairer result.

Hornchurch will walk away with the title, but I think we've got a lot to be proud of and a lot to look forward to. We've got a great team and any worries about not sustaining football at this level, have now been layed to rest.

I think the general conception from everyone was that we played extremely well and were unlucky not to get a point.

A few months ago especially after the Ryman cup match against Hx many would have expected the Urchins to wipe the floor with us.

We certainly gave them a game and in relection a draw would have been about right but it was not meant to be,

Tilbury is a key game now on Saturday and hopefully a win will put us back on track.

I can believe you never thought you could lose but I was commenting on your players’ state of mind in the closing 15 minutes. Mind you there appeared to be plenty of (standing) tension in that period in your officials pen.
Your CH pairing has been top stuff for several years and that experience served you well plus your GK made several fine saves and you have good skilled players up front that will see you through to a successful end of term.
If we outplayed you anywhere it was in mid-field and (again) in the final 15 minutes across most areas of the pitch.
You will be more consistent across the season than will our young lads and I certainly would not argue with your 1-2 result.

I can believe you never thought you could lose but I was commenting on your players’ state of mind in the closing 15 minutes. Mind you there appeared to be plenty of (standing) tension in that period in your officials pen.
Your CH pairing has been top stuff for several years and that experience served you well plus your GK made several fine saves and you have good skilled players up front that will see you through to a successful end of term.
If we outplayed you anywhere it was in mid-field and (again) in the final 15 minutes across most areas of the pitch.
You will be more consistent across the season than will our young lads and I certainly would not argue with your 1-2 result.

ha ha...you old rogue...you were sitting near me then as I stood at the back of the away officials box...:o)

have a great new year and we'll hopefully see you at the bridge come spring...