Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tilbury

Ribbit

2-1 Tilbury

I don't know what to say. Their pitch was easily the worst I've seen this season and the weather wasn't much better, however... I am fed up of blaming things outside of our control. I could say the ref was poor again today, but to be fair, I don't think he was. Just as he wasn't against Hornchurch.

If the first half had have ended with Tilbury winning, that would have been fair. We scored a penalty (Crow), but Tilbury had much of the ball and actually kept us from getting anywhere near their goal on the whole.

Second half comes around and our players look like Batchy has told them that they are playing Tilbury and are supposed to walk over them, so they come out all guns blazing. We get an open goal, which Curran misses from a very tight angle and then they're straight up the other end scoring a goal which was very much against the run of play - even if it was only two minutes into the second half.

We carried on and proved that despite the horrendous conditions, we could play football on that pitch (albeit, not our best). We reapeatadly came close and when Leon fired a shot from the edge of the box, we all thought it was destined to hit the back of the net... except it smashed against the post and Tilbury cleared.

After that Tilbury went on to take the lead and we find ourselves hoping to score so we can escape with a point. It wasn't to be and, like I said above, we can blame the conditions all we like, but I think the reason we lost is because we fell asleep at the back virtually every time Tilbury went forward. They had more than two chances and we were lucky to escape on occasion.

Going forward though, especially in the second half, we were good. I can't help but feel that our defending is what let us down today, but for that I don't just blame the five at the back, but the entire eleven players. They need to move forward and back as a team and that's something they need to remember how to do next Saturday. Thirteen games unbeaten, remember that? Well now we're two games beaten, let's not make it any more.

Honest report Ribbit. Weather and pitch conditions aside, how do you rate Tilbury's chances of survival, based on that performance (a double over CI I believe!)?

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Originally Posted By: Hookey
Honest report Ribbit. Weather and pitch conditions aside, how do you rate Tilbury's chances of survival, based on that performance (a double over CI I believe!)?

We really sat back far too much in the second half, really didn't look like scoring.

They looked quite strong on the attack, especially against our defence, but their keeper was bloody appauling, couldn't kick to save his life.

Very frustrating game today though, and the weather really was absolutely awful.

They'll survive. They're strong enough to bully teams and their strikers today looked quite good as they constantly beat Kreyling and Crow.

I don't particularly think their 'keeper was that bad - the wind didn't help his kicking - Ricky's wasn't much cop either. Did have a chuckle when their 'keeper kicked it and it shot straight up in air, hung there for a minute and blew back towards him. He kept it low after that.

It was a truly awful day out, we couldnt play our normal game on that glueput of a pitch and I really think Tilbury wanted it more, they were not a bad side side and we allowed them to out-muscle us under the shocking weather and pitch conditions. If anyone thought Potters Bar was grim last week they were lucky they werent at Tilbury today. That aside, Happy New Year to all, Up The Gulls !

The gyppos been letting their horses graze on the pitch again!!!

No, but I sampled the complete knob that is Tony Cross.

Let's just say most of our fans think he is a complete twat and I expressed my feelings rather loudly about what I thought of him|!|!|!

Originally Posted By: Hookey
Weather and pitch conditions aside, how do you rate Tilbury's chances of survival, based on that performance (a double over CI I believe!)?

I don't think you could judge either sides potential after yesterday playing something on a pitch that resembled a scene from a first world war battle field. Tilbury should be ok - that number 10 could outsprint a Greyhound - certainly our back four - so should cause problems. A couple of players looked a bit ropey - goalkeeper looked like a mini me version of Dave Kreyling - except younger grin

Like Ribbit I wouldn't want to blame other factors on yesterdays defeat. The ref didn't do to bad in those conditions and did try and let the game play.

We appeared to approach the game in our usual footballing style and it didn't suit us. Tilbury were more direct - didn't look to much of a threat until the second half when they broke on a few occassions. I don't feel Tilbury wanted it more than us and we more than held our own when it came to tackling and the second ball. We just tried to be to clever at times and it just didn't work in those conditions. My concern is that there will be a few more games that will end up like that in the coming months and we need to adapt - certainly something Batchy will need to think about. I want to see Canvey play attractive football but sometimes that may not be possible and yesterday was one of those days. I am far from being an expert on football and couldn't understand why we started our play from the back with Ricky distributing to our back four. I just felt it put us under more pressure and took longer for us to get up field and into a good attacking position. I'm probably wrong but under those conditions we may have been better clearing the ball straight into the Tilbury half and going for the second ball (whoops - I think I've just suggested that we start hoofing it crazy)

It was the type of game that suited a certain, determined, role your sleeves up and get stuck in style of player. There was the odd player yesterday who liked to do the stylish things and didn't want to keep it simple going in for those tough tackles was not on the agenda and the simple unselfish pass was sometimes forgotten.

It was certainly a game that we could have done with winning, and could have done with one off the post and a couple of chances that looked harder to miss, but I'm sure Batchy will analyse it and do what he thinks is right. Tilbury's biggest gate of the season yesterday with 156 - gives their manager a few more quid to buy some charm classes eek assuming that poor old boy on the turnstiles finally managed to get to grips with decimalisation - bless him wink

Thought there was more there than 156. Easily over 200.

Originally Posted By: YELLOW
Let's just say most of our fans think he is a complete twat and I expressed my feelings rather loudly about what I thought of him|!|!|!

We had the "pleasure" of playing Tilbury what seemed to be every other week last season.

Manager total d@@k; on one occassion jump into the Urchins crowd celebrating a Tilbury goal.