Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tilbury

Ribbit

Originally Posted By: kimbles left foot
did you sample one of the smallest burgers in history while you were over there?

I attempted to get a burger, but seeing as they've never seen football fans there before, they were in a state of shock and realised they had none left.

So I got a portion of chips that consisted of about 12 fish-scented chips.

Needless to say if I ever go to that shithole again I'll be taking my own food.

Get the impression with the ground that not alot has been done with it for years but a nice big covered terrace with plenty of space. Seems to suggest that they got quite big crowds a long, long time ago.

Yesterday's game was the first this season that I thought we were tactically inept and were unable to adapt to the conditions.

Given that the pitch was a swamp, why did we try and play football through the middle of the field? It works for us on grass, but on slops the ball wasn't going to go anywhere.

What we should've done, (and this is what Tilbury did as the second half progressed) is keep the ball out on the wings where there was some grass and play the Canvey way out wide. Leon, Lee Jay, Bourne etc would've been able to sprint down the wings and whip the balls in from the corner flag and with the wind behind us, those balls could've gone in off anyone.

The amount of space their goal scorer had for their second was appalling, he started from the half-way line and scored. It was a complete reverse of Ryan Edgar's goal against Hornchurch. Plus a goal straight from a corner? Very sloppy! mad

As for our goal, well, unless the Referee blew up for Curran's shirt being pulled, which would've been obscured from my view I didn't see anything wrong and had the Ref played on Curran would've let one fly.

On the personel front, I think we need changes on the wings. Leon is wasted on the right, he's definately our fastest striker so put him up front where it counts and Lee Jay goes walk abouts for 85 minutes of the game, so what's the point of having him out there if he's just going to prance about in the centre circle? confused

It's frustrating that even though we're so high in the league and exceeding expectations, we've seen our players perform so much better than they're currenly doing so, it's like the team is only running at 80%, which is pissing the fans off.

As for Tilbury, well they certainly looked and played better than the team that visited Park Lane earlier in the season. Their Manager is still a twat though, but it doesn't help that Canvey fans hurl abuse to encourage him!

Their burger man must've been a bit special upstairs though with the speed he was cooking, bless him grin Mini burgers in mini-buns, tasty but I needed three the fill me up.

Anyway, come on Canvey sort it out for Wingate, lets kick off 2007 with three more points!

I like Lee Jay, but his passing has been a bit off the last two games. I don't think anyone can question his skill though. I heard Glen saying as we left that Lee Jay had no place out there yesterday and Batchy should have known that Lee wouldn't be able to 'play' on that surface. I think he was right, but I don't know that starting Corbell (his replacement) would have been a better option.

I'm glad I don't have to position our midfield, 'cause I don't know how I'd arrange Leon, Ryan, Clyde and Lee.

Originally Posted By: Matt CIFC

As for Tilbury, well they certainly looked and played better than the team that visited Park Lane earlier in the season. Their Manager is still a twat though, but it doesn't help that Canvey fans hurl abuse to encourage him!

Agree and I was one of the worst unfortunately. Two wrongs don't make a right and maybe Cross's reaction was justified

Originally Posted By: Paula
I know we live by a beach and we have Canvey Supply but do they not have builders merchants in Tilbury that supply soft sand???
Could have done with a few ton on their pitch (especially round the goal mouths) smile

The words: 'Canvey and beach' are not oft used in the same sentence... grin

Originally Posted By: CIFC - Y.A
Originally Posted By: kimbles left foot
did you sample one of the smallest burgers in history while you were over there?

I attempted to get a burger, but seeing as they've never seen football fans there before, they were in a state of shock and realised they had none left.

So I got a portion of chips that consisted of about 12 fish-scented chips.

Needless to say if I ever go to that shithole again I'll be taking my own food.

Not a great fan of fast food or burgers, but surely you can cook them from frozen? Dur.
PS Thought that GWR's food facilities were rather good this season, but never been to a ground where they shut the bar during the game in midweek..very odd.

Originally Posted By: Ribbit
I heard Glen saying as we left that Lee Jay had no place out there yesterday and Batchy should have known that Lee wouldn't be able to 'play' on that surface. I think he was right, but I don't know that starting Corbell (his replacement) would have been a better option.

Glen's comments were directed toward myself, however I disagree with him. Yesterday's conditions would've been the best oppertunity to use width and pace on the 'pitch'. There was no grass in the middle, so to play the ball along the floor as Canvey does, begged for it to be pushed out wide.

The problem was, while Leon was doing it quite effectively in the first half, Lee Jay was totally the opposite in the second. His problem was that he was going left to right, not forward. Bourne would overlap and scream for the ball, to be pushed forward but Lee was just not acknowleding and countless oppetunities were lost. I'm trying to be constructive but I saw it yesterday, against Hornchurch and against Enfield too and I know I'm not on my own here. frown

I don't know, Matt. I wasn't sure about Lee at the start of the season as I thought teams would just push him off the ball and while that has happened, he's impressed me a lot too. I think a bit more awareness is what he needs. I know he can put the ball where he wants it when he tries properly - we've seen some stunning strikes from him - we just haven't seen it lately.