Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Motson and Lawrenson

Can someone please explain the offside rule to these two jokers. Motson has just been going on about daylight between players attributing it to some guy at the FA.

As far as I am aware the IFAB make the rules not the FA, and the rule as interpreted by FIFA is that you are offside if active and if any part of your body with which you can legal play the ball is ahead of the second last opposition player.

It has nothing to do with the FA or "daylight"!

Thats like the radio commentators who had a go about Poll at Man United - Arsenal game this season because he pulled United back when they took a free kick from the wrong place with the ball moving!

To be quite honest, the new off-side rule is ridiculous, because two seperate referee's will have completely different interpretations of each situation.

Lets get back to the old rule where if any attacking player is nearer the defending goal-keeper when the ball is played, then it's offside.

I've recently see referee's and asst. referee's in heated argument/discussion over flag waving on wether a player is/was off-side or not.

ferkin joke, this new ruling

Now you know I don't like to quibble, but...

There is no offside rule and never has been. It is a Law.

The Law does not and never has ever mentioned goalkeepers. In short, a player is in an offside position if he is nearer his opponent's goal line than the ball, at the time the ball is played by a player of his own side, unless there are two or more defenders between him and the goal line. This however is NOT an offence. It is only an offence to interfere with play or seek to gain an advantage when in an offside position. This has been reworded a tad but the meaning is the same.

The Law has not changed. The interpretation has been clarified and in my opinion for the better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Credit where credit is due.

The dynamic duo finally realised why the Lampard-Gerrard combination is working at present. Lampard needs to push further up, like he did when he first replaced Scholes, playing in the old Scholes position.

I've been saying this for over a year now! Perhaps someone can tell McLaren?