Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey 1 -1 Waltham Abbey

YELLOW

Not a great performance today. Were 1-0 down in the first half and needed a goal from Ruggy 6 minutes from time to save a point. Only after that we started playing some decent football.

Crow was sent off after the final whistle for an altercation with the referee.

Not a brilliant day but a point won.

A point won considering we were a goal down and didn't really look like scoring.

I thought we were poor defensively in the first half and that didn't get much better in the second half. However, we progressed going forward and Abbey did well to hold us off. The cross from Crow was beautiful and deserved to be put in the back of the net. Prior to that I had thought that it was going to 'be one of those days' and we wouldn't get anything.

All in all, I think it was a fair game and a point was all we really deserved, though either team could have won it.

According to the official site, Crow was sent off for arguing over the ref turning down a penalty. Though it was a definate foul, it was about a yard outside the box. Never a penalty in a month of Sundays.

Originally Posted By: Ribbit

According to the official site, Crow was sent off for arguing over the ref turning down a penalty. Though it was a definate foul, it was about a yard outside the box. Never a penalty in a month of Sundays.

I hope Ken has it on video because it looked at least 2 yards inside the box to me, how the hell the ref waved play on i`ll never know.

Looked a penalty from where I was standing but the ref was never likely to give it. Made some strange decisions all afternoon.

Waltham Abbey pumped the ball up to their forwards. Generally this didn't cause us to many problems but their goal came when our defence had been caught a tad to far forward and didn't have the pace to get back. It left their player with time to line it up and put it in the back of the net - although he was a bit lucky as it did strike Ricky on the way in.

Canvey played a passing game but we didn't seem to be able to make it effective or dangerous in that final third where most efforts were snuffed out or we eventually lost the ball during a prolonged build up.

It looked like a penalty from where I was standing and was in the area. At the end of the day, as mentioned, if we have aspirations of a play off place we need to be getting results at home to clubs like Waltham Abbey. It's a tight league with numerous clubs having the ability to take points off of others but either gaining a point or losing two doesn't do us much favours.

I didn't think we really started playing until we equalised. After that, they really looked like they were hanging on a bit and a few minutes more and we might have grabbed the winner.

We are certainly not firing on all cylinders and to be honest I don't think we've been playing well since the second half of the Enfield game (Hornchurch apart).

Need to get back to playing how we were back in November and early December if we're to challenge for a play off spot.

i havent looked at the footage properly yet but i had a good look on the screen at the incident and it was inside the box and a pen in my opinion. there was no way the ref was gonna give it though, that close to time, he was spineless, he didnt dive a card till near the end and then went crazy after the wistle just because crow called him a few nasty words (crow must have had money on the game as he really seemed to be heartbroken that we didnt play well and only drew)

to be honest though we so didnt diserve the win as we were fairly cr@p, their goal was a comedy of errors on our part, should be very very funny footage of players just falling over to allow it.

i have never heard a team pi$$ and moan as much as Waltham abbey though, constantly on at the ref for this and that. had a funny conversation with their number 6, he asked if i 'caught an offside on tape' (the rubbish lino did flag for offside when their player was about 2ft onside) and i replyed 'no but i have got your blatent dive' he told me to 'fúck off' i laughed

Looked JUST outside the box to me, but that could've been down to the direction that Edgar? fell.

Thought we should've scored at least one in the first half and I'm so glad to see Leon back up front where he belongs, he's wasted out on the right.

Once again though, no width whatsoever coming down the right hand side until after we equalised. Crow had tons of space out on the left and was screaming for the ball everytime, hence where out only real attack in the second half came from. Down the right we had nothing, (and it's not because Leon wasn't out there!)

I thought the defence had a reasonably good game as a unit. Jesus and Dave did well in their altered roles as did Westy when he came on, (no more attempts to roundhouse kick the ball away though please!)

Man of the match for me was Ryan Edgar, he battled so hard in the middle to try and get the attacks moving. Clydie did well too, but was a bit lightweight against a team like them. Would prefer him bombing down the right and another Dobbo like player in the middle to feed the ball through to the likes of Edgar, Rugg, Leon and Curran.

Over the 90 minutes I think were just deserved a point. Looking forward to Ken's highlights.

I see Justin Gentle has still got it though, thought he was probably their best player yesterday.

I thought it was Rugg who was fouled in the box not Edgar. To be honest it was an absolute melee in there.

Originally Posted By: Matt CIFC
I see Justin Gentle has still got it though, thought he was probably their best player yesterday.

He was the one Waltham Abbey player that stood out to me. The only one who had a bit of vision rather than just hammering it forward......

Some photos of yesterdays game can be found Here courtesy of the Waltham Abbey website.

Good, my eyes were not deceiving me!!!

but the refs eyes were cross eyed to of missed it and various other challenges, shirt pulling. I think the ref's in this league are going from bad to worse, at least the lino with the hair knew what he was doing. I think some of the Canvey players need a boot up their backside to get them motivated again, they seem to of got in a slump again and need to get out of it quick, i still think we need to recruit some experienced players to help the team along

Almost everything said so just to tidy the edges:

Crow is desperate to get out of this league and like others cannot stand it when the commitment appears to be lacking in others.

Minutes before the “was it a penalty” incident Crow was elbowed after the ball had gone and the incident happened in front of the referee who bottled making a decision.

The penalty or non-penalty call was again in the clear vision of the referee and was a yard inside the box and could be heard and seen clearly by the again bottling referee.

Ps. that was Crows first red card ever.

As for the performance we need two changes to gain the goals our football deserves:

1. Leaving the same two lads up front we must create more through balls into shooting distance from wide and mid-field.

2. We must achieve this by moving up and back as a team and cut the gap between the two forwards and the mid-field i.e. our mid-field must create and take more shooting chances.

Nothing wrong with our two central mid-fielders other than the need to gain body strength, which will happen as they mature. (Can we wait?)

One change that may help would be to move Crow back to left back push Bourne up field and play the boy who came on at half time at right back.