Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Now This Made Me Think Of You Lot....

GarySTFC

What was the maximum you guys had back in the days you were topping the Ryman Prem?

From http://football.guardian.co.uk/theknowledge/story/0,,2007060,00.html

WHAT'S THE BACUP PLAN?

"In the Highland League, Clachnacuddin have played 20 games so far, but Fort William only 14," writes Ken Colgan. "Is this the most games in hand a team has ever had?"

In a word, Ken, no, as John Cooke is quick to point out. "When my team, Chippenham Town, played away at Merthyr Tydfil on January 27 2007 in the Southern League Premier Division, we had played 26 games and Merthyr only 19."

However, that's nothing compared to the goings on in the North West Counties League Division One, where one team have a whopping 12 games in hand. Second-placed FC United of Manchester lie one point behind leaders Salford City with six games in hand, but Bacup Borough have played just 20 games compared to Salford's 32. "In December we had several away games called off due to Cup replays; in January the stormy weather up here meant we couldn't play any midweek games - and now we have a problem with frost," said Bacup boss Brent Peters when we tracked him down. "The groundsman hasn't been able to get on the pitch all week so I doubt we'll be playing this weekend either."

League rules state that all fixtures must be fulfilled by the last weekend in April, which leaves Bacup in rather dire straits - but it's nothing Peters hasn't seen before. "We had this situation last season as well," he grumbled. "It makes a mockery of the league. We ended up playing three times a week and teams coming here weren't seeing the real Bacup. We had so many of our squad injured that in the end I had to pull me boots on and turn out for the first team - and I'm 49!" Still, with Borough currently 38 points behind the leaders and a total of 39 still at stake, they could leap from 12th to 1st if they win all their games in hand. "If I'm honest we might just miss it by one point," chuckled Peters.

....Beating Colchester and STUFFING Chelmsford in the friendlies. A nice FA cup run eventually seeing off Port Vale (one of my best ever away trips) Getting knocked out in that horrific down pour at Roots Hall (where it should never have been)....accommodating those nice chaps from Aldersh*t & St Albans, getting on a bus away to Chester when our group had the largest amount of beer, so we get the coach with no loo !!!, getting pipped to the league cause of the end of season congestion ?? Trip to Villa Park and beating a conference side to lift the trophy, and then one heck of a party at Pak Lane. Looking back, I quite enjoyed that season. Obvious blips aside the crowd average (for non-derby) league games weren't too far in excess of where they are now.

Originally Posted By: ken
wasnt it 11 games in 14 days or something utterly silly like that. it was an expensive couple of weeks!

LOL - I remember them well - made all the games - don't know how many others did. Enfield was abandoned before kick-off due to a puddle close to the corner flag, and Hampton & Richmond was abandoned due to a very heavy downpour on around 33 minutes - not sure the fans ever did get a refund wink

I thought we only got the second sunday off in that fortnight.

Two weeks that will stick in the memory bank for a while smile