Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I'm looking for a decent beer

Merv

Football is, usually, a male preserve and although the ladies are very welcome and always a delight, there is a lot about the game that is aimed at the blokes. Included in that is the booze element, i.e. the clubhouse, where a lot of football fans enjoy meeting together before the KO to take a glass (or two) and discuss the afternoon’s agenda. My question is, why is the beer available at most clubs extremely limited and invariably aimed at the ‘piss and wind’ drinkers who wouldn’t know a decent pint from a hole in the head?

Aveley was a perfect example, but not the only culprit. No bitter! I ask you, no bitter! OK they had Stella’s apology for a more bitter drink (Peterman, is it called?) but like I said, no bitter. Or more precisely, no real beer. I’m not on a CAMRA campaign but wouldn’t it be nice, every now and again, to go to watch my favourite game and enjoy a decent pint before the kick-off.

Real ale would be fantastic but not essential. Just a range of decent beers with a choice of lager and bitter that isn’t over carbonated, over priced and under flavoured.

If things don’t improve I may end up taking my own favourite tipple (Black Sheep or Green King’s Abbot Ale) and paying for corkage.

Am I alone, or does anyone else regret the absence of a decent beer before the game?

Fair point well made, but just be grateful for going to away grounds that have bars, in the Essex Senior, London APSA and Beaumont Athletic don't have bars and at Barking it's closed. For the thirsty fan it's a trek to the nearest pub, and none of these grounds are blessed with nearby bars!

Merv, I prefer real ale too!! Hate bloody lager. Must admit they did have some bottles yesterday (no Fursty Ferret or Pedigree) but they were £2.80 each!! They also ran out very quickly (just like the programmes. Think me and Curtis must have drank them all. Maybe I could sneak some ferret in in my handi bag (along with a bottle opener).

I was actually looking forward to going to Brentwood on Tuesday as there was a little pub on the way to their ground which had at least 6 real ales on pump.

It will be IPA now frown

Seems to be quite a few real ale and bitter drinkers - doesn't appear to be a minority so why the lack of decent beer.

Like the real ales and bitter myself but don't tend to partake on match days due to driving and the fact that when they do have bitter it's not on a proper hand pump but all gased up. I also have about two pints - start giggling and falling over which isn't big or clever!

Only ever drink bitter. Rarely drink lager except maybe bottled lager as I find it too gassy.

Originally Posted By: Paula
Originally Posted By: Linneycifc
You know the best thing about goin to Hx was the fact that they had a real ale Fox's nob i think it was called

Yeah they do a couple of decent beers down there.
Just a shame OL Cantos is always in the clubhouse bolt

Paula did you have a nob or two when you last visited.

Originally Posted By: Linneycifc
You know the best thing about goin to Hx was the fact that they had a real ale Fox's nob i think it was called

Good stuff that. I remember when Hx had no beer on draught and all you could get was bottles. Luckily they've sorted that out and do IPA on draught.

Originally Posted By: Ian_W
I'm a JD and diet coke man these days LOL

I remeber the days when Ian would have half a pint of creme de menthe shandy and then end up talking total bo££ocks for the rest of the day.

Things have improved now. He manages to talk total bo££ocks all day without drinking a single drop.