Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The War

Unfortunately with the ending of the cold war and the demise of the Soviet Union there is nothing and no-one to stop the septics doing exactly what they want.

Until the mass immigration of poor uneducated hispanic people wrecks the US economy the world will have to put up with the occasional "liberation" of anyone who doesn't eat apple pie.

Sorry about your day, Badger.

I say to those who readily endorse those who seem ready to take military action [allright go in and bomb the b@stards] without a second U.N. Resolution:

"Does it occur to you that maybe, just maybe, this is about Iraq's oil rather than it's breach of an U.N. Resolution?".

"Do you believe that Blair manipulates the truth to suit his own political ends?"

"Do you feel that Blair has handled the diplomatic negotiations with the U.S., the U.N. and other European leaders well?

"Do you feel that once Saddam has been toppled, Blair and Bush have a workable plan to replace him?"

"Are you concerned that the U.K.'s relations/interests with other European and Middle Eastern states will be badly damaged if joint U.S./U.K. military action is taken against Iraq without a second U.N. Resolution?"

I suspect, Badger, that your answers and mine will be the same to each of those questions and yet we have opposing views at the end of it.

Why does anyone care about a second UN resolution?

UN resolutions aren't passed on what is right or wrong they are passed on political expediency and " whats in it for me if I back your resolution"

I understand that Turkey have been offered $20 billion to let the Americans attack from their borders but are holding out for more.

It is either right or wrong to kill lots of Iraqi people nothing that is said at the UN will change that one iota.

There's a column in the Daily Mirror, where they reprint letters sent in over the many years the newqspaper has been in existence (100, I believe). Yesterday they had rather an interesting letter from 1935. I can't remember the exact wording, but it went something like this:

'I think it is dreadful that the Governmant can ignore the thousands of people who participated in the Peace Vote, and is currently driving for re-armament. And from a Government that calls itself National!'

Obviously, it's paraphrased, but the main thrust is the same. In 1935, the Governmet wanted to increase it's military spending. At least some of the public were againt this. I don't know anything about the PEace Vote, to be honest, so I don't know if it was a significant event or not. However, 4 years later, the nation was embroiled inthe most destructive war the planet has witnessed. So, sometimes at least, leaders do know what they're doing, even if it doesn't look like it at the time.

In another part of the paper, it stated that the US has sent about 24 bombers to Guam in the Pacific as a reactionary force should North Korea start anything when the troops go into Iraq.

This isn't an attempt to get the arguments going again. I think we've agreed to disagree, and shake our heads in disbelief at each other.

Quote:
This isn't an attempt to get the arguments going again. I think we've agreed to disagree, and shake our heads in disbelief at each other.

Argument? I found this to be stimulating intellectual debate.

Badger. How many times will dictators and leaders of countries have said 'let's go and bomb xxx' only for some doubt to be raised by the public? Following on for this, how many times will someone have written in a letter saying 'we should go and bomb xxx' a few years before nothing happened? It's all well and good saying 'look, here's someone who agreed with leaders before the Second World War started despite no-one else agreeing,' but you never see 'look, here's someone who agreed with leaders but nothing happened.'

And besides, I'm sure we were 'thrust' into war with Germany to a greater extent than we have been 'thrust' into war with Iraq?

Point made Badger

I remember the Polish Horse making the last ever mounted charge against the German assualt tanks

I remember our troops in their thousands being killed whilst trapped on a beach with our allies nowhere

I remember the age group in front of mine coming home from Korea be-medaled but unable to say a good word for the Americans they fought alongside, not paper talk but sons of neighbors and school friends

I remember Tinnerman Square (maybe spelt wrong) and the deathly silence from western politicians

Ide Amin, slaughtered half or one million? who cared? not Blair

etc etc

Vitnam and the war crimes mostly unpunished?

Not a clear case either way from those and other memories

BUT

I just cannot live with being in the pack following Blair or his friends who promised a new christian ethic in foreign affairs

Not a lover of John Lennon the man but Ill go with give peace a chance

And if ever convinced that this latest target is genuinly a threat to world peace then then lets go and finish the job properly this time unlike Mr Bush senior