Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gibson defends Eames

God were all pleased he saved the club, but is he floggin a dead horse in trying to save our phantom secretary? For further info see his page in last nights prog. Any comments the rest of ya?

As usual, an interesting page from The Chairman in last night's programme.<p>I have to say that I don't recall any criticism of Steve Eames at the Fans Forum last week. If I am wrong, then I certainly don't recall any vehemence, no 'Hate Mob drove me out' stuff. The Chairman's Notes were quite a spirited defence and I was intrigued. I can only assume that there have been other comments made to John Gibson in private.<p>At the Forum, there was some comment about the desire to see a new "system" in place to deal with the day-to-day running of The Club. The expressions 'administration' and 'organisation' were used as I recall. However, I hope that The Chairman did not mis-interpret those words as a criticism of Steve. The areas requiring attention in my view are spheres which have never been Steve's province. On any Management Committee, or whatever it's to be called, the role of Secretary is but one of the Officers or Associate Directors or whatever title is appropriate. <p>Like others at The Park, Steve has had to work in impossible conditions over the last 8 months in particular. Unlike others, in his case, this is his full-time job and he has a mortgage to pay, presumably. I don't know many people who could have stuck it out. I couldn't.<p>John Gibson was quite right elsewhere in his notes. Steve, and any other employee, needs a clear "job description" and "the tools" to perform the task. The absense of basic office equipment and tools to maintain the pitch is dreadful but no surprise, unfortunately. [if it's any help, I think I know who nicked the red tractor.] <p>The Chairman made it clear at the meeting that he wont act in haste. Give it time.

well I thought I'd take in "the pre-match atmosphere" in the clubhouse on Tuesday night and to be honest I'm not surprised it's so quiet.

Lots of whispering between those selling raffle tickets, and then being asked more than once to buy said tickets, no problem in that but the seller seemed very keen in talking (sorry whispering) about the shortfalls of certain club officials.

Seems to me that a big round table is needed

AS THE CHAIRMAN POINTS OUT IN LAST NIGHTS PROG

EAMES HAS A JOB FOR NEXT SEASON IF HE WANTS IT

THOUGH THE JOB DESCRIPTION MIGHT CHANGE STILL THAT CANNOT BE BAD

Well <new fan>, a very warm welcome to Clarence Park and to the Clubhouse for a sharpener before the game. It just gets better.<p>That chap selling golden goal and raffle tickets in the clubhouse on Tuesday did a reasonably good job in my view. He was a little "in your face" when selling but, it seemed to me, only to regulars and people that he seemed to know. Visiting fans and strangers were politely asked whether they wished to partake. I saw no complaints. The only person that he asked twice was that Webbo, but so would anybody as we all know that he is a dot-com millionaire. I know for a fact that he sold this message board earlier in the season to Canvey Island for £35 squillion plus royalties.<p>As a <new fan>, perhaps you would like to volunteer to sell the tickets? One match in 3 or 4. If you 'do' the clubhouse, it's 45 minutes or so before kick-off and you wont miss any of the game. Not terribly taxing. No free entry to the ground, though. Have a word with that Chairman of the Supporters Club chap.<p>Now to a more serious point. <p>I was in the group beside the bar where the tickets were being sold as was Leigh Page, Mark White and others from time to time. There was a lengthy discussion concerning the "Kingstonian Four". Of course, the team's performance on Saturday came up. Also, I recall some reference to a possible pre-season tour to Portsmouth to play H.M.S. St. Albans [presumably on a small sized pitch on a carpet thing between the 24" guns on deck] and, perhaps Havant and Waterlooville [the latter being one team, not two]. The only thing that I recall that could be totally mis-construed as criticism was reference to the world famous City seaport of Portsmouth and the suggestion that Bashley in the world famous New Forest or Brockenhurst might be a nicer spot to spend an August week-end.<p>At no time did I hear any criticism or suggestion of "shortfall" of club officials. There was some comments made about The Chairman's programme notes and, interestingly, the consensus view was that no-one could recall any criticism of Steve Eames at the Fans Forum. No suggestion of any "shortfall", as you put it, on the Chairman's part, however.<p>So <new fan>, you obviously heard something said. I am very, very concerned. Perhaps you will enlighten us rather than leave what appears to be an accusation concerning one specified fan up in the air? <p>I have absolutely no doubt that the chap in question would be pleased to have your concerns out in the open. <p>As a <new fan> you will not be aware that one of the many unpleasant things that characterised The Harding Years at Our Club was lies and mischief-making innuendo on this board and elsewhere. Thankfully, that is all behind us with the odd exception when Buzz Lightyear comes on here under one of his many aliases to try to encourage discontent.<p>Please enlighten us or perhaps you will choose to remain silent and confirm my suspicion that you are a p***k.<p>[ 28 March 2002: This message was edited by: AFF ]</p>

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AFF:

<strong>a possible pre-season tour to Portsmouth to play H.M.S. St. Albans [presumably on a small sized pitch on a carpet thing between the 24" guns on deck]</strong><hr></blockquote><p>HMS St Albans is a type 23 and therefore does not have 24" guns, but a single 114mm Vickers Mk8. How about 5-a-side on the helipad?