Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Fred The Bugle

Hi Everyone,

I received the news from Chris at 8.33pm this evening and i was very saddened by the news, especially as i used to work with Freds son (Steve)at Fords.

Steve never came forward with the information that Fred was a future musical legend (or a canvey fan, until i played)!

At that time Steve had obviously himself caught his fathers bug by practicing his guitar at lunchtime in our works area and although while we said in our head ( s**t that F***ing Shi** up) i knew there was a very special teacher there somwhere.

Fred will be sorely missed by all, even by those who commented on his his missed notes at the top of the non-league game.

My new Cambridge United friends commented on my first day how they not only enjoyed the (bad trumpeter) but the s[****!!****]y away bar when they visited last year. If we had stayed one year longer we would have been championship material.(how sad)!

I have kept in touch with a few players throughout the season and many have responded tonight of freds passing.

The most poignant from Sedge " His Bugling will live on" !

Wayno

I am so sorry to hear of Freds passing. I knew him as did many others who had been a supporter of CIFC from the very early days.

I used to take a hot chocolate with him and Len on the away games at motorway stop-overs and his enthusiasm for the Yellows was second to none. When well, he was always at every game home and away. There will be a silence at every Canvey game now and everyone will know the silence will be the loss of the BUGLE.

My utmost thoughts to his family at this very Sad Time.

Thanks for the great comments everyone, as Fred's son-in-law, they really mean a lot to the family. I have printed them out.

Fred passed peacefully away on Tuesday 10/04/07 at about 6:50 PM. He had come home from hospital the previous Thursday, so he got to spend Easter with friends and family. We knew it was coming but that didn't make it any easier.

I will check with the family, but I don't really think a minute's silence would be what Fred would want. Personally I think a minutes cheering/singing/clapping would be a great send off and I am sure he would be pleased and proud of that.

Fred was larger than life, and you lot were reasonably lucky, only having to put up with his musical renditions for 90 minutes or so, we had to live with the practice sessions! He approached life with such a positive attitude, and CIFC and Canvey Cricket club meant such a lot to him. You would never believe how many family occasions he would turn up late to having had to get his "fix" of football first.

So thanks once again for the great comments, I will post details of the funeral arrangements etc. once they have been made. We are hoping to hold the wake at the football club, so if anyone knows who to contact and a phone number, if they can email charlie.croker@gmail.com that would be great.

Thanks once again.

sorry 2 hear bout ur sad news reguarding fred, don't fink got the chase 2 met or hear in game's against u's, but i send my thought's and best wishes 2 fred family and friends at and in canvey

vftc

The date of Fred's funeral is as follows:

Friday 20th of April.

3:40 PM

Basildon Crematorium

No flowers please, the family would rather see donations in Fred's name to the MacMillan trust http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Home.aspx

And the idea of a minute's cheering at the next home game is, we all agree a wonderful idea and a fitting tribute to Fred the Bugle.

We would also like to express our thanks for the wonderful comments expressed on this and the CIFC website. These really have moved us all, so many thanks to you all.

Regards

i did not know fred as i was a newby to the club and only started to go to games this season but i did get to witness freds playing and the reaction from the yellow army and always found it great to hear him play

rest in peace fred i know you will be watching canvey from heaven and still playing your trumpet

I remember my first Canvey game for 29 years at Sid James Park Exeter Aug 2004 for one reason. The look of pure anguish on the faces of the Exeter stewards and fans when Fred sparked up. They just wished they had put us on the terrace instead of in the stand with the home fans. A thoroughly entertaining performance by Fred.

In the words of Eric Morcambe, " I am playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order".

May you Rest In Peace

On behalf of the family, we are truly touched by your condolences ,it has given us strength at this difficult time.

Supporting Canvey has given my father a lot of pleasure over the years, he has seen players come and go,followed the team up and down the country rain or shine , he only stopped going when his body let him down, there were times when he shouldn't have gone but he did,his courage was beyond belief.He loved being on the terraces with the yellow army, I hope they sing for him this Saturday as I know they can.

Many thanks for your support!