Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I am off into hiding!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Billericay pubs, Rising Sun, White Hart, Red Lion, Chequers, Blue Boar, Crown, Railway, Pilgrim, Quilters (I went to school there!), <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You went to school in a Pub????????<P>What subjects did they teach?

Oh dear oh dear, the poor old Eagles are strugglig in this one too. The nearest pub to the Eyrie is about 4 miles away. We do a **** fine cup of tea at half time though. With various splendid scone options too. It's the finest tea-hut I've ever seen.

It's true! Half way through my time at Quilters Junior school we moved out of what is now the pub and into what used to be the Infant school. A few years later parts of what used to be the junior school were converted into Quilters pub/bar/restaurant, just in time for me to celebrate my 18th birthday there!

Hi. Simon welcome onboard this crazy forum. Wow there must be more pubs in Billericay than on Canvey!!!<P>Gazza.<P>You are right Braintree gained a royal charter to hold a market in the twelfth century. Braintree really expanded in the 18th century on as an industrial town when Billericay was a commuterless village. Amongst the industries of note emanating from Braintree is Crittalls the pioneers of extruded Steel windows (and former owners of BTFC hence our nickname "IRON" not the Irons as with WHU). Courtaulds are an International textiles company which started off life in the town, sadly this former employer of more than a thousand employees closed its mills in the 1980's, having moved over totally to synthetics.<P>It may be a good day out for you to visit Braintree and visit the two museums (free) our beautiful public gardens as well as the fountains and and old town hall with chiming clock,also within the Braintree district council area is the most photographed postcard village of Finchingfield, historic Coggeshall is a treat too. But then i don't suppose these places are a patch on Basildon (the administration district for Billericay), howabouts a trip to Pitsea and its famous dump or lovely Laindon? Though it has to be said Lake Meadows and Great and Little Burstead churches are nice. I recall that Billericays big cry to fame was the alleged meeting the pilgrim fathers had before sailing to the new world at the only building of historic value Billericay The Chantry. Impressive stuff that LOL.<P>While not the most attractive of towns, Braintree along with Maldon and Colchester are quintessential Essex towns, not over-run (yet) with Londoners.<P>I know this all boring stuff and way off topic from football. But now you know a bit about the Town that you find a "bugbear" to quote an earlier term of yours.<P>I hope you're saving for that betting debt. Meantime, have a pleasant and relaxing weekend.<p>[ 12 October 2001: This message was edited by: Iron knob ]

Iron knob, I used to live there!!!<P>I left Braintree earlier this year when my relationship with Mrs. Cunningham sadly broke down. I now have my own place in my home town of Billericay.<P>I have to say I quite liked the town but found a couple of the pubs a bit rough and catering for the lower end of society (ooooo, what a snob!!!!). I never knew if I was going to have a quiet drink and be left alone or be engaged in a little game of "lets see if the bottle will fly". I prefered the King William outside the White Court estate (quite handy 'cos I lived there). So, in answer to your request, been there, done that and would be too painful to go back (except to see your gaff when Billericay play).<P>While I was there, every Saturday for home game I used to wander my merry way down south tosee "THE MIGHTY 'RICAY". It is hard to break a habit that started in 1974.<P>About The Quilters Bar in Billericay. I used to go to that school and the bar is in my old classroom, which is quite strange.<P>SimonBTFC, when did you used to go the school?

Now look what's happened - this has all become far too neighbourly and quite frankly incestous and if Gazza's going to let us into his darkest secrets (the bit about getting his education at the bar) then I too will make an admission! <P>When I came down from Liverpool to follow my career my first stop was the burns unit Billericay and from 1995 to 1997 watched Ricay - which is where I became a big fan of Leon Gutzmore top player! So know the club and social really well. <P>It was my landlord that took me off to Braintree and as they the rest (thank god) is history!! tongue.gif" border="0