Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Friday evening

Originally Posted By: Duke of York
Hope it’s a good night but it should really be St Albans Day celebrations. Saint Alban had more claim to be the Patron Saint of England. St George was born in Lebanon and he never set foot on English soil.

Been listening to too many Billy Bragg lyrics,my friend.

Britannia,She's half English,she speaks latin at home.
St George was born in the Lebonon,how he got there i don't know.
And those three lions on your shirt,
They never sprang from Englands dirt.

Who cares! St. George is the patron saint of England and we should be more patriotic and celebrate the day. St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland and he was a fisherman from Galilee but do you ever hear the Scots getting all worried about that fact. Billy Bragg hates anything nationalistic because it doesn't fit in with his extreeme left wing views. It doesn't matter what political thread you chose to follow, you should still be proud of your country and get behind its patron saint day.

Right, rant over!

Originally Posted By: Mr Happy
Billy Bragg hates anything nationalistic because it doesn't fit in with his extreeme left wing views.

How do you know? You ever asked him? If you read his book you would find out he is a very patriotic Englishman! It's just some of us have different views as to what being patriotic is all about.

You are quite correct, I haven't read his book and you clearly know much more about him. I have heard him speak on TV and radio and have developed a distinct dislike for him. Those lyrics were unpatriotic and I would have him in stocks by sundown.

Hope its a good night but it should really be St Albans Day celebrations. Saint Alban had more claim to be the Patron Saint of England. St George was born in Lebanon and he never set foot on English soil.

Next you'll be trying to tell me that he didn't slay that Dragon.

THM.I've read Progressive Patriot.It far weaker than his previous works.He produced his weakest album EHE ,in trying to tell us that everthing we think of as Engilsh is in fact stolen or borrowed from other cultures.Then he produced a book that explains that the only thing in British culture to feel patriotic or proud about is our multiculralism and the people who pioneered such politics.

Look ,i know Billy fairly well.I've got every record he's released.Taxman and Workers Playtime are still two of my all time favourite albums.When he was a working class lad in Barking i could forgive (even understand) his political passion and motives.Now that he lives in a Tory stronghold,in a vast pile on the Dorset coast with his interior designer wife,and the obligatory pair of 4X4's.His politics now grate.He demands people in places like Barking must live in the urban sprawl that he and his fellow pioneers have hepled create,whilst they themselves opt out and head for hills and becomes lords of the manor in afluent areas,whilst driving their kids to posh schools in their Shoguns and X5's.

Originally Posted By: Arkwright
Hope its a good night but it should really be St Albans Day celebrations. Saint Alban had more claim to be the Patron Saint of England. St George was born in Lebanon and he never set foot on English soil.

Next you'll be trying to tell me that he didn't slay that Dragon.

Nope, I married her! bigcry

I don't think Billy Bragg demands people live anywhere. Are you saying that because Billy Bragg as earned a few bob he can't live where he wants and he must continue to live in the area he was brought up in?

I also don't consider that he feels the only thing we have to be proud of his multiculturism.

I do however agree that his last album was probably his weakest to date. Give me Spy vs Spy anytime.

At least Billy Bragg has passion about his beliefs and I would rather listen to him than many others who bang on about things that have no relation to real life!