Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Friday evening

As a fellow Gooner I will let that go!! biglaugh

Originally Posted By: The Horse'sMouth
I don't think Billy Bragg demands people live anywhere. Are you saying that because Billy Bragg as earned a few bob he can't live where he wants and he must continue to live in the area he was brought up in?

I also don't consider that he feels the only thing we have to be proud of his multiculturism.

I do however agree that his last album was probably his weakest to date. Give me Spy vs Spy anytime.

No.i'm saying that Billy has pioneered (demanded) the sort of community structure that exists in places like Barking today.Ie..large scale multi-cultralism.High dispersion and movement of communities.Over crowding.etc,and all the problems that come with this sort of social policy,but then opts out of that lifestyle himself,to leave those less fortunate in the area and those without the means to move on,to live amonst the social conditions he poineered,whilst he can quietly go and live in a Tory Manor House within an affluent almost exclusively 'English' community.Doesn't that strike you as just a touch hypocritical?

Ps.Agree with you about Spy Vs Spy.

Personally I feel we have too many Bank Holidays in April/May. I've always been in favour of a Bank holiday in Oct/Nov. Maybe the Monday after Rememberence Sunday.

Lovely Stuff we will have to agree to disagree on what Billy as Pioneered or demanded. For me Billy is one of England's greatest living poets and someone whose lyrics actually mean something.

Exactly.why not move St Georges day to October,and make it bank holdiday.

A former American president changed the date of Thanksgiving from early in the year (when the Plymouth actually landed) to November.And it been successfully celebrated at that time ever since.

Also we could do with more bank holidays,as we currently have fewer than nearly every other western nation

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Exactly.why not move St Georges day to October,and make it bank holdiday.

A former American president changed the date of Thanksgiving from early in the year (when the Plymouth actually landed) to November.And it been successfully celebrated at that time ever since.

Also we could do with more bank holidays,as we currently have fewer than nearly every other western nation

Better still, celebrate Waterloo Day in June, Trafalgar Day in October & Guy Fawkes Day in November.

Every day should be a Bank Holiday, except Saturdays and Sundays, which should remain as weekends.

No-one knows who St. George was or where he came from, if he really existed at all which he probably didn't. I'd prefer Bede or Alfred (neither are saints but who cares, one was Venerable and was a Great and that's near enough for me). Or Biggles.

Alban was probably not "British" either, being a Roman army officer. In any event he was certainly not English as there was no England at the time.

Before anyone brings it up, Patrick wasn't Irish either. Again it is not known where he came from and there are conflicting schools of thought - Wales, West Country, Northumberland - and his "ethnicity" is not known. And he had nothing to do with snakes.

Originally Posted By: The Invisible Man
Every day should be a Bank Holiday, except Saturdays and Sundays, which should remain as weekends.

No-one knows who St. George was or where he came from, if he really existed at all which he probably didn't. I'd prefer Bede or Alfred (neither are saints but who cares, one was Venerable and was a Great and that's near enough for me). Or Biggles.

Alban was probably not "British" either, being a Roman army officer. In any event he was certainly not English as there was no England at the time.

Before anyone brings it up, Patrick wasn't Irish either. Again it is not known where he came from and there are conflicting schools of thought - Wales, West Country, Northumberland - and his "ethnicity" is not known. And he had nothing to do with snakes.

Ah yes, England may not have existed but the word England stems from the the Angles (there are various spellings) and these peoples either came from Geramny or from the Baltic countries. So, in this case our patron saint could be that famous yiddo Jurgen Klinsman or what about Kristanna Loken (the Norwegian blonde bombsehl who played the Terminatrix in T3)???

Quite why it was the Angles who gave their name to the present nation is a mystery, as the apparent early medieval "influx" included Angles, Saxons and Jutes (as named by Bede) plus other groups from (present) northern Germany, Jutland, Holland and Belgium. Others called them collectively "Saxons" (=sassenach) and we all remember our Robin Hood - Normans v. Saxons. The whole early med period is often abbreviated to "Saxon" or Anglo-Saxon". I am not aware of any major population movement from Baltic areas (other than Jutland) until the "Vikings". The nature of the influx and numbers of people involved in the Germanic incursions is hotly debated at present (believe nothing you see on TV documentaries). Some argue for a small warrior elite, others for a huge migration, others for models between the two.

You're ruling out St Stefan Freund then? grin

Another candidate must surely be St Jim? applause2