Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 18-December 17 )

• Photo
    Steve_J

• Photo
    paul butts

• Photo
    Butts

• Photo
    Massimo.Oldham

• Photo
    butts53

Photo

Friday evening

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
63 replies to this topic

offline Mr Happy

Mr Happy
  • Youth Team Coach
  • Supports: Enfield Town & Spurs
  • Foes: Gooner scumbags
Nah. Saint Kristanna of England gets my vote!

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
  • National Squad - 1st XI
The fact remains that since 1066, England has (until recent times,some may argue) remained remarkably stable in culture and tradition.England is fairly unique in this sense,primarily because the land hasn't been successfully conquered since that time.As such,we have an identity, tradition and cultrure that has progressed,grown and evolved in a uniquely linear way for the last 1000 years.

It always seems strange that those people who delight in highlighting the various places on earth that our long lost ancestors originated, happily describe other proud cultures from the likes of Australia and America as 'indigenous or native',when in fact both civilisations ancestors originated from another continent (ie.Asia)Just as ours originated from another continent (Europe)

offline The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man
I suggest that more accurately the culture of these islands has evolved over rather more than 1000 years: more like 10000. Progressed, grown and linear are words I, or others in the field, would not use, but I quibble, and follow your thrust.

Indigenous or native are effectively relative terms. For example, the British population were indegenous at the time of the Germanic migrations (or whatever scale), the Anglo-Saxons (or whatever tern you prefer) were indegenous at the time of the Norman conquest, and so on. Usually the term is used in a Eurocentric manner as it is usually Europeans using it.

I certainly agree however that the terms are frequently abused, usually for political purposes i.e. one group claiming soveriegnty over a territory, and the whole thing gets horribly abused when absurd claims of cultural and/or racial superiority and so on are made.

More and more frequently these days many people seem to be searching for a sense of identity and a group to belong to, and are misled into believing they are Celts or Vikings something.

The bottom line is we are all migrants, we all came from Africa a long long time ago. Since then cultural groups and affiliations have ebbed and flowed, changed and evolved - nothing lasts for ever, and no-one is of pure "race", nationality or whatever except that we are all Homo sapiens (some doubt exists over Millwall supporters). The very concept of race is doubtful, really just a convenient shorthand.

Having said that, H. sapien is a highly gregarious animal - the very key to our succcess - and needs to identify with a group. I am very happy to describe myself as English: that is what I am. I do not claim that England always existed or that it always will, but here and now, it does.

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach
Originally Posted By: The Invisible Man
Quite why it was the Angles who gave their name to the present nation is a mystery...

I blame the French beer

and Tony Blairs arcadefreak

and Steve McClaren.... affig

offline Mr Happy

Mr Happy
  • Youth Team Coach
we are all Homo sapiens (some doubt exists over Millwall supporters).

Wait till Squadron Leader tells Mr Safety Officer Sir that you have posted that!!! You could end up: gotcha2

offline Steph

Steph
  • First XI - Permanent

The bottom line is we are all migrants, we all came from Africa a long long time ago.

You forget "Man from Mars"

offline Squadron Leader

Squadron Leader
  • Squadron Leader
  • Supports: Enfield Town FC Arsenal FC Fort William FC
  • Facebook
Originally Posted By: Mr Happy

Wait till Squadron Leader tells Mr Safety Officer Sir that you have posted that!!! You could end up: gotcha2

Right, that's it, off with your head hanged

And that's before I have even told Mr Safety Officer!!!!!

giggle

offline Squadron Leader

Squadron Leader
  • Squadron Leader
  • Facebook

giggle

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach
Originally Posted By: Steph

You forget "Man from Mars"

and women are from Venus ?

Why did they ever agree to meet up on Earth ?

Saturn is a much hotter destination...

offline Squadron Leader

Squadron Leader
  • Squadron Leader
  • Facebook
I muast stop eating those spring onions they keep repeating on me!!!!!!!

giggle

The Invisible Man
Originally Posted By: Squadron Leader

giggle

Talking of emigration....... laugh cry

offline Mr Happy

Mr Happy
  • Youth Team Coach
Try euthanasia!

The Invisible Man
Willingly. I presume you are volunteering to be the despatched?

offline Uncle Urchin

Uncle Urchin
  • Long Service Award

The bottom line is we are all migrants, we all came from Africa a long long time ago.

I fckn didn't...pure celtic northern tundra... laughsnowman

offline Mr Happy

Mr Happy
  • Youth Team Coach
Thought you came from the caves of northern America with the rest of the Hair Bear Bunch!

The Invisible Man
Nah.

Remains of a rare species of early hominid have been found in caves in Urchinistan. Typically the inhumations comprise a robust male surrounded by several females, all remains apparently annointed with red ochre and white gypsum. Very little remains of clothing are found with the females but associated artefacts with both sexes always include what appear to be ceramic drinking vessels (many containing residue of a yellow or amber fermentation) and unidentified small, slightly dished ceramic objects rather like ashtrays.

The males are usually found with the remains of some kind of small leather folder next to the heart and clutched firmly in the right hand. Sometimes there is evidence for these folders having contained copious amounts of some sort of token.

The females are notable for the great quantity of beads, necklaces, bangles (including the ankle) earrings and the like. Osteological analysis of the calcaneus and distal fibula and tibia suggests the frequent wearing of ritual footwear with extended or raised heels. The patella often shows sign of wear, suggesting thath a kneeling posture has frequently been adopted although it is not clear for what purpose.

There are rumours that this species survives to this day in the more remote and uncivilized areas of Western Europe to the east of the Lea.

offline Mr Happy

Mr Happy
  • Youth Team Coach
Nah.

Remains of a rare species of early hominid have been found in caves in Urchinistan. Typically the inhumations comprise a robust male surrounded by several females, all remains apparently annointed with red ochre and white gypsum. Very little remains of clothing are found with the females but associated artefacts with both sexes always include what appear to be ceramic drinking vessels (many containing residue of a yellow or amber fermentation) and unidentified small, slightly dished ceramic objects rather like ashtrays.

The males are usually found with the remains of some kind of small leather folder next to the heart and clutched firmly in the right hand. Sometimes there is evidence for these folders having contained copious amounts of some sort of token.

The females are notable for the great quantity of beads, necklaces, bangles (including the ankle) earrings and the like. Osteological analysis of the calcaneus and distal fibula and tibia suggests the frequent wearing of ritual footwear with extended or raised heels. The patella often shows sign of wear, suggesting thath a kneeling posture has frequently been adopted although it is not clear for what purpose.

There are rumours that this species survives to this day in the more remote and uncivilized areas of Western Europe to the east of the Lea.

giggle

offline Eastside Urchin

Eastside Urchin
  • President Elect
  • rank
  • Supports: AFC Hornchurch
  • Foes: Romford
are you trying to say my bird gives head???

you bet she does!

The Invisible Man
Yes, we know.............. whistle

offline Mr Happy

Mr Happy
  • Youth Team Coach
Does it well too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic