Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Covered stand

It is now time to bring this old chestnut up again.

In the first half of the play off final, the Town faithful were in good voice under the covered stand and it seemed to really lift the players. Indeed, I am pretty sure that when we win the toss we always elect to play towards that end in the second half. However, in the second half with a very noisy and semi-tuneful group of oppositions fans we were not able to compete vocally. Up the other end, the singing cannot be heard. We have tried to use the cow shed in the past but some of the regulars who congregate there have muttered some discontent about our noise. As such, it really is time for a small temporary stand to be put at the uncovered end so that next season a GOOD noise can be created to try and help motivate the players for whole matches.

A very generous ex-supporter supplied 'our club' with the necessary frame work for a covered stand. People would have worked hard to put something up, but the offer was rejected.

It's a shame that the putting up of a covered area was not included in the planning application for the extra seats!

Anyone got a gazebo?

I see the new Wembley just threw away a load of seats which had gone a funny colour. No doubt it was due to global warming.

Ground grading C - 250 seats in not more than two stands. Therefore the extra 100 seats could be put behind the goal if there is room to satisfy LS. Now where have I heard that one before?

I have brought this subject up before at meetings but it falls on deaf ears. If we want this to happen, we need more support from the grassroots fans rather than just one person giving his views. Might be a good idea if the cowshed faithful back us too or they might end up being deafened for 45 minutes each game next season!!! devil

The Southbury Rd covered terracing was donated by the fans (in the 60's think).Would be nice to get a fund going by the fans for covered accomadation behind the other goal.I'll happily give £20 to the fund.If we all did that,i'm sure it wouldn't be too long before we raised the required amount.lets make it a portable unit like the other stands though.Don't want to leave it behind,IF we move on.

Another good idea would be to find a local business to pay for it and then name the stand after that business. Anyone know how much a samll stand, maybe half or three quaters the size of the one at the other end would cost?

There is a fund, it's called the ETFC lottery

http://www.etfc.co.uk/index.php?page=lottery

To return to facilities comparable to those we used to enjoy in Enfield requires hard work, dedication and above all your support. To be a truly successful Club we do need our own stadium. A base for not only the first team but in time youth and ladies football and most importantly a Community Scheme offering affordable coaching and support for children of all ages, race, physical ability and sex. This will only be possible though, if finances are available to build a ground.

HOWEVER, you will need to persuade the "Men in Black" to spend the money on the ground rather than retaining and acquiring new players for next season

A trimmer squad would mean a trimmer wage bill. I feel that cover at the other end and the resulting increase in atmosphere may well be the equivalent of an extra player. Footballers love to hear the singing and chanting.

Originally Posted By: Arkwright
I don't think there's room behind that goal for the seats, but there certainly is for some covered terracing, bring it on I say.

I am not sure how I can explain this, but here goes.....

Remove enough of the fencing at the railway end so that the stands with the 100 seats can be accommodated in the gap. Move the stands back, say 1.0metre to allow for people to walk round the ground. This would mean the stand sticking out by 1.0metre beyond the existing fence line. I am sure it could work.

Still with me?

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Good idea. How much would it cost to remove ,say, 25 meters of fence and then place it behind a new stand (with some side pieces added? i wouldn't have thought it would be too much.

But will it contravene existing planning approval?

Planning permission has already been granted for the extra 100 seats.

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Good idea. How much would it cost to remove ,say, 25 meters of fence and then place it behind a new stand (with some side pieces added? i wouldn't have thought it would be too much.

But will it contravene existing planning approval?

Some of the fencing behind the goal is already in a poor state. The back of the stand could act as a new part of the fence, similar to the Town End.

Just a suggestion but... can we not use the money that we the supporters part with each week for golden goal, 50/50, gimme 5 etc and put that towards a fund for the new stand.

I'm not sure how many times a season the merchandise messiah hands over a cheque to the club from the supporters club that has raised this money, but it would be nice if this is put back into the club for what us supporters would wish for and that being a stand.

Right lets make this easy then, as LS says lets find out how much this would cost, then lets have a bucket collection, raffle, sponsored whatever, etc etc until we have the required amount, Im sure everyone that stands that end for matches would contribute in some way shape of form as other than August pre season games its bloody freezing down there!

Originally Posted By: Mr Happy
It is now time to bring this old chestnut up again.

In the first half of the play off final, the Town faithful were in good voice under the covered stand and it seemed to really lift the players. Indeed, I am pretty sure that when we win the toss we always elect to play towards that end in the second half. However, in the second half with a very noisy and semi-tuneful group of oppositions fans we were not able to compete vocally. Up the other end, the singing cannot be heard. We have tried to use the cow shed in the past but some of the regulars who congregate there have muttered some discontent about our noise. As such, it really is time for a small temporary stand to be put at the uncovered end so that next season a GOOD noise can be created to try and help motivate the players for whole matches.

I gave the club a donation of £500 in Nov 05. I hoped the money would help go towards a covered end. If the club had launched an appeal i would have been prepared to donate a lot more.

I think most supporters want to see some signs of progress when it comes to the ground.
It really puts me off going to see the Town and i think it puts a lot of other people off too.
IMO The club should launch an appeal for a covered end ASAP.