Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Friendlies

I know the season has only just finished but i have noticed on other forums and club websites that some of them have already got 3 or 4 pre season games arranged and some with good strong opposition.

When could we expect dates and opposition for our pre season friendlies?

It would be nice to get a couple of league teams to brimmo as it was nice to have spurs last year all be it there youth team but these are nice for the fans along with a nice away fixture by the sea rather than the same old braintree, barnet fixtures

It is whatever the fixture secretary can arrange in conjunction with the managers expressed type of preseason schedule. If the manager has a good link into a club then the chances of a preseason are greater. It really is not what you know it is who you know. So if you know a team manager at a higher level and can arrange a game contact the fixture sectretary and/or the manager.

We get Braintree thanks to our contact with a former town sponsor.

Originally Posted By: Stone Cold
I know the season has only just finished but i have noticed on other forums and club websites that some of them have already got 3 or 4 pre season games arranged and some with good strong opposition.

When could we expect dates and opposition for our pre season friendlies?

It would be nice to get a couple of league teams to brimmo as it was nice to have spurs last year all be it there youth team but these are nice for the fans along with a nice away fixture by the sea rather than the same old braintree, barnet fixtures

What do you mean same old Barnet fixture. This season was the first time we played them and what a good game it was.

Originally Posted By: Rhymenreason
. So if you know a team manager at a higher level and can arrange a game contact the fixture sectretary and/or the manager.

I always think it's best to have a mix of pre-season opponents, from higher, lower and about the same levels. (Obviously every club in the country can't play only higher level sides... grin)

It can't do you much good getting stuffed in every friendly, although of course you learn by playing better sides. The attacking side of the game needs practise and can benefit through playing weaker opposition.

A balance is best.

Originally Posted By: Mr Happy
What do you mean same old Barnet fixture. This season was the first time we played them and what a good game it was.

I thought the Barnet game was the best pre-season fixture last year. It was much more interesting than the Spurs game IMO. Here’s my realistic top five choice for 2007/08 pre-season fixtures:

Luton Town
Stevenage Borough
Leyton Orient
Ebbsfleet United
St Albans City

Originally Posted By: Duke of York
............ Here’s my realistic top five choice for 2007/08 pre-season fixtures:

Luton Town
Stevenage Borough
Leyton Orient
Ebbsfleet United
St Albans City

Here's mine:

Worthing (A)
Bognor Regis Town (A)
Newport IOW (A)
Bashley (A)
Barnet (H)
West Ham (H)

There you go this fixture secretary stuff is easy, two weekends away with games on the Friday night & Saturday afternoon (well we do usually have about 50 players at pre season!!) Then two strong home fixtures once the nucleous of the side is known, you see piece of cake.

Originally Posted By: andyetfc
I have always believed in playing a higher graded team at home to boost attendances and income. Play lower league teams away to assist them.

So how about our Secretary contacting "our old mate" Paul Brush ( Assistant ) at Southend to get a home game.
They have got a home game with The Ammers, but do normally play several "lower teams" pre season.
Got to be worth a call.