Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

tragic events in portugal...

I'm just on 60 now and of course we were left on our own for long periods of time when we were kids...don't really know why...we just were and we wandered around and did our kids stuff and then went to the pub where our parents were and sat outside until they all fell out pi55ed at 10.30pm and then went home hand in hand via the chippie....

but that was then...!

It's true, times have changed in respect of how people see the world - although I don't think it's any more dangerous now for children than it was in the 1960s when I was little. The statistics about crimes committed do in fact back that up - it's just that we hear about everything more quickly and in lurid and speculative detail. My mum was quite happy for us to be out and far away from home all day long, even when we were very young. I remember (aged 13) going on a week-long youth hostelling holiday with a friend the same age - dad just dropped us off somewhere in the Lake District and we walked to a different hostel every day. No fear and no need to have any fear, or so it seemed ...

I'll be interested to know how old Staines Rebel is, my guess is between 25 and 30, he certainly seems to have an issue with the McCanns that's for sure.

Different for me, lived on a farm, nearest neighbour fields away - had a 'free rein' up to the age of 11 then a lady was murdered 3 miles from us ('opportunist murder' he was only caught a couple of years ago)

.....and Mr Keeps, when he was a toddler....'Cannock Chase Murders' - just down the road!

Life changed dramatically for us and the kids in the nearby villages, ultimately it set the precedent for the way we bring up our children!

staines,agree with everything you say.

Rhodes,you must be on some sort of wind up.

If every parent knew they would be banged up for 15 years for neglecting their children in such a way the country would be in a damn site better state than it is now

The maccanns are greatly responsible for their daughters dissapearance and possible death even if they were not the ones who abducted her

Originally Posted By: Staines Rebel
Mid 40's Rhodes and yes I do have issues with parents who do not take responsibility for their children - if they cant take responsibility then dont have kids, they are not fashion accessories or the means to get a council flat!!!

Staines Rebel - Are you sure you're not another name that Mrs Keeps posts under, your comment above is a bit of a giveaway

Staines Rebel - If you are not Mrs Keeps you are only succeeding in playing into her hands.

Okay but why does he have such a strong opinion about the McCann's, I thought you were bad.

people have strong opinions about the mcCanns because they have neglected their children and paid a high price for it,in the mean time they left their other kids so they could fulfill a lifetime ambition to meet the fecking pope.Religion is important to some people but when you have just had one child abducted surely it must be more important to ensure that your other kids are with you in a difficult time.

The people of portugal,a usually well thought of nation with morals(apart from where they cheat at football) couldn't believe this and they are probably as a nation ten times more religious than the mccanns

I think this unfortunate couple has paid a very high price for their poor judgement. We don't know them or what they are feeling ... but I would bet they will be regretting it every day for the rest of their lives.

Cousins wife comes from Funchal and said at the time that had they been Portuguese they would have been charged with neglect straight away - I reckon had they been of a lower 'social standing' they would still have been charged!

The RSPCA have powers to stop people keeping animals when they are proven to be guilty of neglect but we still have idiots making excuses for people who neglect their children - God help the children belonging to those idiots doh

Originally Posted By: Staines Rebel
Rhodes - do you have children?

Mrs Keeps - Yes I do but you knew that, I thought you were at the pub