Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

tragic events in portugal...

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Everyone is entitled to make one mistake in their lives, don't you think Kate and Gerry know that and they will have to live with it for the rest of their lives, to brand them as guilty as Maddie's abductor and say they should be charged is out of order

Mental is right, they were negligent. Rhodes, you say that they are entitled to make one mistake, a) who says they are? B) Who says it's their first mistake? I'd bet my house that they have left the kids alone before and it's possible even, that they were watched and known for this, which makes them contributary to the crime in my eyes!

Of course I'm not saying that the McCann's actions were right and they were neglectful on that night a year ago in leaving their children alone but don't you think they know that and have paid the ultimate price without having to suffer further. What they had to put up with in Portugal with all that finger pointing and bad feeling whilst they were waiting for news on Maddie was shocking and then to be labelled as suspects by the Portuguese Police who were simply using the McCann's as scapegoats in order to hide their own failings and incompetence was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I can see that I'm not going to win on this one but still feel you are all being a little too harsh on the McCanns who, at the end of the day, have lost a lovely daughter and who it's looking more and more unlikely they will never see again. What must make it even worse for them is that they are being hung drawn and quartered or it.

at the end of the day if she wasnt left on her own maddie would still be a live or with her parents today. The Parents have a 100% responsabilty with their kids until they are 18 years old so i agree with mentalist and should be prosecuted.

The mccanns make me sick, middle class pompus pr1cks who without a doubt are so quilty of neglect, and in my opinion much much more. When the story 1st broke in the news, it was stated that a single mother had left a child home alone and all the papers were ready to hang, then it was found to be the mccanns and the next thing, its only over the road and blah blah. To get to there apartment you had to cross a swimming pool and jump a wall and they make me sick. My boys are 7 & 9 and they dont get left ever unless its with a responsible ADULT. Thay are Ce U Next Tuesday S

Originally Posted By: The Gaffer from the Rock
Thay are Ce U Next Tuesday S

Well you can't make your feelings plainer than that and everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I'll be interested to know whether you felt the same way about Sarah Payne's parents when she went missing. They also let Sarah out of their sight, albeit for a much shorter period, whilst she ran on ahead of them however in that time she was grabbed, thrown into a van, driven away and subsequently killed.

sarah was playing with her brother like many kids do all over the world.

Madelaine was left in a house on her own with two younger kids while her parents went out lording it up.There is a world of difference.

Sarah payne was playing a few hundred yards away from her parents who knew where she was and were checking her every few minutes which at times is the best you can do as you need to give kids some space but madeline was left unattended for hours in an apartment

Taking the subject to a different place how sad is it that we discuss the wrong doings or not of the parents when discussing the abduction and possible abuse then murder of a small child?

No matter how many hundreds of thousands of years ago man crept from the slime there are certain behavior patterns where he has clearly yet to emerge from that slime

For many years parents on holiday in "resorts" have entrusted "chalet" patrols to ensure their children are safe whilst they have a night out, Dad may well also pop back now and again but we are kidding ourselves if we fail to recognize that thousands of parents do exactly the same

The real problem mankind has failed to come to terms with is pedophilia, castration chemical or surgical, death penalty or what? How do we spot the potential pedophiles and deal with the problem at source before children are attacked?

For one thing, I have never used and never would use a 'chalet patrol' or similar service. The child/children is effectively left alone between visits, and however many parents do it doesn't make it right.

Secondly, the McCanns didn't even bother with that.

As for your more general question, I wish that I, or anyone, had the answer, pabird. I fear that there is no answer.

Invis I agree in the rights and wrongs of using resort patrols but the fact remains that untold numbers of parents do use such resource and do not even check on the integrity in selection of the patrol members?

Anyone remember the old days at the Butlins camps ?

You'd be sitting watching a show and the lights would flash up

"Baby crying in chalet..... !"

In those days, Butlins employed women to walk along the chalet lines listening for sounds of upset babes and childrn. INCREDIBLE !

Sure do John, we had a great holiday at Clacton one year, with a two year old, and one on the way. Butlins couldn't have done more for us, better than some family members would have done!

We never used the Chalet service though, as our oldest used to party the evenings away, in the Crazy Horse Saloon, dancing to a group called 'Harmony Sands'!

I can remember my mum and dad years ago use to take me to caister holiday camp and believe me it was hi-di-hi good morning campers i kid you not, great times, As for the MCcanns i can say my wife and i never left the children on holiday they would come with us and we would all go back together your life changes when you have children, you can't go on like you lived before staying out to 4 in the morning etc, my son is now 19yrs and my daughter is 17yrs and i don't regret a thing.