Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 23-October 17 )

• Photo
    Canary Saint

• Photo
    GNFC til i die

• Photo
    Town Statto

• Photo
    Don Douglas

• Photo
    UpTheBulls

• Photo
    lecof

• Photo
    davelfc

• Photo
    hilson

• Photo
    davidace23

• Photo
    Dave EUFC

• Photo
    RicharDinGlasgoW94

• Photo
    wakeling

• Photo
    non league fan

Photo

A Sad Day

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
201 replies to this topic

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
  • National Squad - 1st XI
Quite!

I started watching Enfield at the start of the 80's,and right through until Dagenham and Redridge Forest merged 15 years later,Enfield were always the bigger club than Dagenham,winning much more and consistantly coming out on top in any head to head clashes.

Saying that,it was the same with regard to Enfields dominance over Barnet, until the Barry Fry/Flashman era.

offline coupwotcoup

coupwotcoup
  • Long Service Award
  • Supports: Romford
  • Foes: The Chins...
May 4 1996 Yeovil 0 Enfield 1
May 4 1996 Carshalton 0 Hayes 3

Just think where you might be today had you managed that extra goal.. smile

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
Ahh..The time we lost out on promotion to the conference by a single goal.

Also,just think where we would be if we had been allowed promotion when we won the Gola (conference).Just think where we would be if we were wern't denied promotion to the conference in 1995.Just think where we would be if Tony Lazarou hadn't sold our beloved stadium...etc..etc.

It seems at every major crossroads,we were dealt devastasting knockbacks.As such,we have to watch many teams that were always inferior to us in the non-league set-up,now plying their trade in the football league,whilst we find ourselves currently watching step4 and Step5 football.

If fate had been kinder to us at those crucial moments over the last 20 years,we could have easily been watching Enfield in div1/2 of the Football league now.

On such small decisions does our future lie

offline coupwotcoup

coupwotcoup
  • Long Service Award
Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Ahh..The time we lost out on promotion to the conference by a single goal.

Also,just think where we would be if we had been allowed promotion when we won the Gola (conference).Just think where we would be if we were wern't denied promotion to the conference in 1995.Just think where we would be if Tony Lazarou hadn't sold our beloved stadium...etc..etc.

It seems at every major crossroads,we were dealt devastasting knockbacks.As such,we have to watch many teams that were always inferior to us in the non-league set-up,now plying their trade in the football league,whilst we find ourselves currently watching step4 and Step5 football.

If fate had been kinder to us at those crucial moments over the last 20 years,we could have easily been watching Enfield in div1/2 of the Football league now.

On such small decisions does our future lie

.... I was at Carshalton that day.... was lots of fun... smile

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
Stitch up.

Will never forget (or forgive) the delight and excitment in the Yeovil tannoy announcers voice at the end of the game, as he informed us of the Hayes final score.

offline coupwotcoup

coupwotcoup
  • Long Service Award
Hardly a stitch up.. If I remember rightly, Hayes went 2-0 up quite early, but then news came through that you had scored. Then I think it was one Junior ??? scored an absolute blinder past Fat Les..and the rest is Geography as we say in these there parts... grin

offline Gazza

Gazza
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
Originally Posted By: Mr Happy
[quote=Maldini66]..... Unless someone, somewhere makes a brave decision to change then we will have two clubs, netiher of whom will progress beyond Ryman Prem.

Never a truer word spoken!

I also believe we would struggle big time in that league without that "brave decision" Mr H talks about.

offline MK James

MK James
  • Supports: Enfield & Brimsdown United (2010)

Considering as a united Enfield we struggled in the Ryman Prem with Chandler in charge, I can't see how as seperate clubs either team would do any better now.

offline andyetfc

andyetfc
There's nothing to say that as a 'united' team we would progress through the leagues. I think some people are assuming that everything would be rosy.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
Originally Posted By: MKJames

Considering as a united Enfield we struggled in the Ryman Prem with Chandler in charge, I can't see how as seperate clubs either team would do any better now.

Come on MK,i expected better of you than that.

The old Ryman premier in those days was equivilent to the current Conference South.Chandler had to work with virtually no transfer or wage money.As such, he had to basically field a team of ex-youth team kids (many of which were of step4/5 quality,as proved later on in their careers).Even so, Chandlers EFC left Southbury road TOP of the league,(Lets never forget that),and managed to maintain the clubs status in the league that season,even when playing every home game 'away' at B.Wood,and having a weak inexperienced squad to choose from.

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
With regard to Town (or even an United club) needing big private investemnt to progress past the Ryman premier.That could well be the case ,and that option will no doubt be heavily debated and voted on by the members in the future.

But i believe those concerns are at least a couple of years away at present.Our priorities should be to progress to the Ryman premier(which is highly possible in our current set-up) AND sort out a Ground/Longterm future in the borough.When both of those things have been achieved,then it will be the right time to look towards the next phase of the club,and yes, that might well include serious discussions about the constitution and the possiblity of bringing in 'money men'.Reassuringly that will be our decision alone to make.

offline MK James

MK James
Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Originally Posted By: MKJames

Come on MK,i expected better of you than that.

The old Ryman premier in those days was equivilent to the current Conference South.Chandler had to work with virtually no transfer or wage money.As such, he had to basically field a team of ex-youth team kids (many of which were of step4/5 quality,as proved later on in their careers).Even so, Chandlers EFC left Southbury road TOP of the league,(Lets never forget that),and managed to maintain the clubs status in the league that season,even when playing every home game 'away' at B.Wood,and having a weak inexperienced squad to choose from.

But the point I'm trying to make is, the situation hasn't changed. Jim still won't have the funds available to mount a serious challenge while you are at Brimsdown. You average around 250-300. Even an average increase of 100 on the gate if you get promoted isn't really going to make the difference without outside investment. How clubs like Thurrock & Cheshunt get by year on year is a mystery to me.

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
The three main differences are:

1.Towns current squad is already better in quality than the side Chandler had in his EFC days

2.The Ryman premier league today is one step below where it used to be in the pyramid.

3.Chandler was a rookie youth/reserve manager when he took over at EFC.He now has 7 years more experience and knowledge, including plenty of throphies under his belt.

He competed at step 2 with a poor squad.I've no doubt Town/utd would compete comfortably at the current step3.Especially as about a third of current Premier teams are competing with very small budgets.(your point about Cheshunt and Thurrock be very valid)

Yes i agree,more funding would need to be found to go any higher.

PS..Being at Brimsdown should not hinder anything.Funds availble could soon improve dramatically if Town become joint leasholders.Not only will we start benefiting from bar reciets,but there are plenty of other money making schemes being looked at at Goldsdown road to improve funding in the future.(one of them may be to charge more for renting out The Downs) --Only joking. wink

offline MK James

MK James

Some good points well made. I can't totally agree with point 1, I don't believe you've got players of the calibre of Danny Jones or Grant Cooper just yet.

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
But we have got better players than the calibre of Danny Clarke,Danny Alleyne,Dave fleming,Danny Adams..etc.

We've also currently got four players who played in both teams.Jerome John/Adam Gant/Steve Magona/Bryan Hammett.

offline MK James

MK James

I'm surprised you never mentioned Jean-Marie Okita...

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
Good call!

What about 'Unlucky' Sammy Cooper?

offline MK James

MK James

I didn't think Sammy was so bad, you always hope the young players will improve but it never really happened for him.

offline townerboy

townerboy
  • Reserves Coach
  • Supports: Enfield Town
a bit out of the loop here, but what is actually happening a the moment in regards to the future of both clubs?

offline andyetfc

andyetfc
Onwards and upwards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus