Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I oEnfield FC

I am too far away from reality to comment in any detail about the decision Enfield FC has taken in the last couple of days. Here in Melbourne, Australia I can only get a limited view of happenings back home at any time.

Let me therefore restrict myself to some general thoughts and these are thoughts of great sadness.

I supported Enfield FC from the early 1950's. The first game I remember seeing was an away FA Amateur Cup-tie at Aylesbury in 1953 (I think).I was not yet in my teens. Enfield lost 5-2 but it did not dampen my enthusiasm. I was there in 1959 when they beat Headington United (with "Big Fat Ron" Atkinson playing for the visitors)4-3 in the FA Cup and in the next round when they went down to Bournemouth and Boscombe (long before the AFC Bournemouth days). I was also there when they met Skelmersdale at Wembley in the FA Amatuer Cup Final in 1967 in front of 75,000 spectators and so it goes on. My mother was the Secretary of the EFC Supporters Club, when they had supporters in the hundreds not tens.

I left England in 1974 but continued to follow the E's always making sure I caught a game when I came back for one of my regular visits.

I was there the day that Tony Lazarou presented his "grand plan" to move to the Tesco Club after a Conference game in the Starlight Room.

Frustrated from afar with TL's dastardly actions, I became a foundation member of Enfield Town, but not before I personally wrote to all 66 Enfield Councillors, the three Enfield MPs and the Local Member of the European Parliament urging them all to stop his rape of a once proud club - sadly to no avail. I didn't take the step of supporting ETFC lightly but it seemed to me to be the only option.

Now, I learn that Enfield FC has taken the drastic step of purging the last vestige of that terrible era by going into receivership (or whatever) and moving down to the Essex Senior League - sad times indeed.

Personalities aside, I often wonder why the two clubs never got back together again once TL was out of the way. Enfield deserves one (great) club, playing in the Borough and performing well on behalf of all of Enfield. In my mind, the greater good is always better than individual pride and stubbornness.

Now that EFC has moved down a rung, it may be that the FA's rules make my dream that much more difficult, but life is about dreaming, even when you dream the impossible. I urge the caretakers of both clubs, because that is all you are, to think very carefully about your actions and decisions. I do not know who is to blame for the impasse. I don't care. I just care about a once great football club brought to its knees and I live in hope.

Originally Posted By: Bruce Darnell
I urge the caretakers of both clubs, because that is all you are, to think very carefully about your actions and decisions. I do not know who is to blame for the impasse. I don't care. I just care about a once great football club brought to its knees and I live in hope.

Well said that Man applause
Enfield needs a united club