Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Smoking ban in domestic properties

I like millions of others have care/medical workers coming into my property for a period of time during the day.

I have been informed that i have to sign a contract with the care suppliers that i will not smoke in any area that the workers may have access to.In fact i am to state a designated area where i smoke,and the worker will not be allowed to go into that designated area.

The care worker can refuse to come into my property if i smoke and i could technically lose the service.

Whilst i do smoke,i do so in the garden,but this could certainly effect the liberties of other smokers in their own homes.

Could this also apply to other workers who may need to enter your home to carry out work. e.g. plumbers, sparks, telephone engineers, etc?

Originally Posted By: Hookey
Could this also apply to other workers who may need to enter your home to carry out work. e.g. plumbers, sparks, telephone engineers, etc?

According to Coup yesterday,you can not smoke for a hour before service engineers visit your property.

I've asked both the fellas i've had in my house (plumbers)about this. Thier firm's policy has always been to not smoke in peoples houses, but they have not been told of any new rule apart from no smoking in work vehicles confused

Originally Posted By: Hookey

Yes fellah..any workers who enter your house. Once again the good old UK government use a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
600+ think they know better than the rest of us. And it wasn't even in their manifesto at the last election.
They thought would ease us in by bringing it in during the summer, but not too many want to stand outside in the p!ssing down of rain having a fag.
As a consequence, many pubs takings have tumbled since last Sunday.
The whole thing is winding me up more day by day. mad

Oh, and just for good measure, they are now trying to bring in a new law which gives the Taxman the right to invade your bank account or seize your house if they 'think' that you owe them money.
What happens if they are wrong (which has been known), does one have a right of appeal?
What happened to the days of the Poll Tax riots when people got off their ar$e to let the government of the day know they are not happy? (I was all for the Poll Tax, but it was still good to see people making a stand - apart from setting fire to buildings).
We just seem to roll over like a lapdog and let them tickle our balls.

its all fckn madness and yes...the apathy of the couch spuds in this country as they sit watching little britain and big brother is scary....

the wealth drain started years ago as billions go to offshore accounts away from the plunderers in whitehall....the people drain has already started with home ownership abroad at record highs from british buyers...foreign language schools and courses are raking in millions and european countries are now advertising in the UK papers and recruitment agencies at record highs for professional people....

carpenters and plasterers required in poland...free apartments and 2 grand a week for euro 2010....nice twist that one... grin

Originally Posted By: Bitch
Did i read that smoking is permitted in the House of Commons? angry

Yes Jane.

In certain parts of both the Lords and the Commons, smoking IS permitted, as it is in prisons. (Musn't upset the human rights lobby !)

WHAT ABOUT MY HUMAN RIGHTS ?

Someone comes to my door, sniffs the air and asks me if I've been smoking ??

"Too Right, mate, and if you don't like it, then FECK OFF, you Nanny State pinko."

An Englishmans home, and all that.

(I must get 'Er Indoors to start boiling the oil in the cauldron in the bedroom above the front door !)

Broadly speaking and with exceptions, if you invite someone to your home you can decide whether or not to smoke in their presence and they too can decide whether they want to put up with it or feck off.

This of course includes workers, such as health and care workers and so on whose services you may request in your home. As you so rightly say, they have the right to feck off.

Slightly different with workers such as meter readers who have a statutory right of entry to your home. The solution is probably for you to have an external meter fitted.

Originally Posted By: Big J R
Did i read that smoking is permitted in the House of Commons? angry

Yes Jane.

In certain parts of both the Lords and the Commons, smoking IS permitted, as it is in prisons. (Musn't upset the human rights lobby !)

WHAT ABOUT MY HUMAN RIGHTS ?

Who passed this law?

Originally Posted By: Greg_Dyke
usually out of their pants duck

Blunket, Prescott, et al ????????

I've asked both the fellas i've had in my house (plumbers)about this. Thier firm's policy has always been to not smoke in peoples houses, but they have not been told of any new rule apart from no smoking in work vehicles confused

As this becomes an official work area, smoking should be prohibited until the tradeperson/worker as fecked off...