Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Latest Score V Brimmo

Club Sec. The attitude that Brimsdown SSC have shown to Town recently probably put fans off from coming. True, there are some decent people there but others clearly don't want us there. I only do one or two friendlies each season and this was one game I had no intention of watching. As others had stated, there was little in the way of publicity about the Roy Butler thing and, bearing in mind he is your groundsman too, the poor turnout is a bad show on your club too.

Hmm, all very odd. To be honest I would have hoped that our reserve side would do better than 2-6!

As we now run a reserve side,there should be a programme of pre-season reserve friendlies as well as first team friendlies. Obviously there will be a great deal of mix and match, that is the object of the excercise as the manager looks at various possibilities, but a purely or largely reserve game should be advertised and treated as such: similarly with the first team friendlies.

Originally Posted By: Father Jack
Nyamah, Foster, Dickie possibly?

As far as I was aware this "Testimonial" Game for Roy was due to have taken place later on in the Season. Why it was brought forward to be a Pre-Season Game I don't know. Maybe its because we play Brimmo every year anyway Pre-season

I did put a posting on this Forum yesterday to try and let a few people know what was going on as no one else had bothered.

confused2

Originally Posted By: OldTowner
To answer your question, you should ask the two Clubs taking part.
Was the game advertized as a Fund Raiser for Roy - not to my knowledge ?
Was it announced on Saturday - not to my knowledge ?
Was it on the web site as such - not to my knowledge ?

Would more people have turned up to support a guy who has put so, so much into the Club - I think so.

Why did Jim put out a poor, mixed team - ask him.

Poor show all round if you ask me and bloody disrespectful to Roy.

Couldnt agree more, & the club sec has got it spot on too.

Now im not being disrespectful to Brimmo but was that the best we could arrange for a gentleman who has probaly done more getting ETFC up & running on & off the pitch than any other individual, where was the Spurs friendly? even if it was the youth team it would have got the crowds in, it appears no effort at all was put into this arrangement in fact id go as far to say Roys name was probaly added to the already arranged fixture.

I suggest we start again & arrange something soon & properly!

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Originally Posted By: Father Jack
Nyamah, Foster, Dickie possibly?

Maybe Nyamah,although that would mean leaving out Andy Jones.
Dickie and Foster, on current form,only if other players are injured.

As Jones is suspended for three games, that makes Nyamah a shoo-in for the holding midfield spot IMO. Foster, I think, will play, as I don't think Jim will gamble on Ricci unless he can get a game under his belt. Wouldn't personally pick Dickie on pre-season showing, but I think Jim might.

Originally Posted By: Mr Happy
Club Sec. The attitude that Brimsdown SSC have shown to Town recently probably put fans off from coming. True, there are some decent people there but others clearly don't want us there. I only do one or two friendlies each season and this was one game I had no intention of watching. As others had stated, there was little in the way of publicity about the Roy Butler thing and, bearing in mind he is your groundsman too, the poor turnout is a bad show on your club too.

Firstly any attitude that BRSSC has for supporters has nothing to do with it, supporters could have gone to teh game and not used the bar if they wish as they already do.

Secondly This game has been arranged for over a month, I will agree the Brimsdown rovers web site only carried the fixture and date and not that it was for Roy, Not having checked the ETFC web-site i cannot comment on weather ther stated what to game was for or not

Thirdly not really a poor show from us I know committee members that turned up and paid to watch last not I know BRSSC members that dont normally watch even Bromo game pay to watch last night,

Brimsdown Rovers had a full committee turn out and a full team turn out with Gordon Boateng even attending and presenting the trophy in the bar after the game.

maybe Jim can give us some answers.

our full committe was there and we put out our first team

It seems to me that Jim has been far more inundated with people seeking a trial than expected. With that, and the late loss of the Cheshunt friendly, things may not have quite gone according to plan.

I'm not sure that there's much of a place for reserve team friendlies at the moment. The reserves will again this season be a mixture of youth, first team fringe & players that need games for fitness, etc. It's not the type of side that has an 'identity' at this stage of the season that would lend itself to friendlies, in my view. Fixtures for triallists are a different thing.

The youth sides have their own round of friendlies; indeed Mike Smee is taking a side to Hertford Town this evening and played on the Downs against EBOGs on Saturday. Mike will also be taking an ETFC (predominantly) youth side to London Lions next Tuesday in the Potters Bar Charity Cup.

Well, it just strikes me that we are using our limited number of friendlies for too many different purposes. I'd have thought the main purposes are to build match fitness, and try out different players and combinations of players from a pool of serious contenders. Surely a friendly is not the place to try out large number of trialists that have not been seen before? If there are that many isn't it normal to play 'internal' games to weed out the probables, possibles and no-nos?

As it is, it seems to me (from afar) that it is unlikely that Jim has much of a clearer idea now what his best team is, and they need to play together a bit before the first league game. We might still be experimenting into the season.

Obviously, only a lay person's view, Jim knows far more about it than I do and I've no doubt he knows what he's doing.

If we look back and check what Jim said at the end of last season about areas he wanted to strengthen, I guess we'd find he has achieved those objectives.

Now I imagine he has to establish whether any of the other new faces are better than anything he's already got and either act accordingly or wait for those that won't get near the top twenty to move on.

Sounds easy!

if there were so many trialists then why not have a trialists team play the 1st team at the end of training or if he intends to use a few friandlies for trialists and reserves then why not start the pre season with 3/4 games against the likes of brimmo, hertford, buntingford, hoddesdon etc for the purpose of the trialists and then those that impress can then move forwards to play in the main pre season friendlies for the 1st team against the chelmsfords, borham woods etc that gives the 1st team a test and thos ethat fail to make the grade in the trialists friendlies go elsewhere to find a club i.e efc 1890

Unfortunately, trialists contact the club throughout the year and not just at the start of pre-season. In addition, you'd be asking Jim, Pete, Stewart, etc. to give up even more of their free time to start a pre-pre-season.

I wonder if this is less of a problem for teams with their own pitch, in that they can play more friendly games?