Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Elvis Fecking Presley

He popped round with my take-away last night !

Gawd - He must be busy !

Originally Posted By: cantos
30 years since his passing and all over the radio today.

Am i alone in hating his music and to say he was the major influence to Rock and Roll is a insult to the black americans from whom he stole it from.

Can't say I rate him either. No doubting he had charisma and a real stage precense but towards the end he was just an overweight bloater living on the memories of former glories. Hardly a legend.

Just think there were better artists around during his day who were far talented.

Originally Posted By: cantos
30 years since his passing and all over the radio today.

Am i alone in hating his music and to say he was the major influence to Rock and Roll is a insult to the black americans from whom he stole it from.

its a generation thingy cantos/yellow.....it wasn't about his music or his talent...or indeed the black music of the time.....

it was about an austere world that I also was born into post war that was just plain grey with ration books and unemployment for returning heroes still in play....

it was a world of little glamour or personal freedom except for the very priviledged.....there was no hope at all for the young....

elvis saw the future and the colonel 'manipulated' that malise and brought bright colour...hope and enlightenment to the youth of that era that we had never thought possible......

elvis presley changed our world and then sadly gave way to the late sixties pop and fashion revolution that truly he built the foundations for but which eventualy destroyed his fragile ego......the fact that he continued to sell records on huge scales after that and until his death is more indicative of that early catalyst for youth freedom than his talent I agree with.....but I personally still love his music...I have every recording ever pressed....

his influence on those that followed the path he opened was immense......

dixie song anyone... applause

just by chance I stumbled across a movie tonight on some remote sky channel about alan freed who was the inventor of the term rock and roll....a dj who brought jackie wilson and his dominoes..bo diddly..jerry lee lewis...buddy holly...and many many others to the national radio stations and the state tours in america in the late fifties...buddy holly died on one of keep's tours in a private plane along with big bopper and frankie avalon....

elvis.....(he was 3/4 years in front of this time) was the inspiration for these singers/bands and holly.... in his letters back to his wife whilst on that ill fated tour.... stated that..

presley has started the revolution and we (he and the crickets) and others will follow and take it onwards until everyone of all nations, creed and colour can dance and sing alongside each other without fear....

we place much emphasise on the political events of the 20th century and rightly so.....I am not suggesting that the influence of rock and roll stars in the 50's/60's compares in any way with the multiple tragedies and genocides of the 20th century per se but I am of the view that they were socially more important...

Once again unc, you hit the nail on the head. If it wasn't for Elvis and his charisma in a grey world, would any of the big groups, the Beatles included, have got off the ground? Liverpool(being a western port City) used to get the American records before London, and really tried to copy his, and other American artists styles!

The Beatles were blown away by him when they met him at Graceland.

He wasn't a favourite of mine, but should be remembered for his many good years, not his few bad ones!

Originally Posted By: thespursfan
Its all come as a shock to me I didn't know he'd been ill.

chloe

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
buddy holly died on one of keep's tours in a private plane along with big bopper and frankie avalon....

Richie Valens, not Frankie Avalon was killed that day.

Getting back to Elvis, my friend's mum used to work in a pub that the American airman used in Deamland at Margate in the mid 50's. She got him a couple of the first 45s, they were Elvis/Heartbreak Hotel and Gene Vincent/Be Bop A Lula, hearing those records for the first time, changed my life and kick started off my interest in music. Biil Hayley and the Comets were the first over hear I know, but for me it was those two songs. The next few years of Rock 'n' Roll changed everybody's life, make no mistake about that, young people had their own music for the first time.

I cant stand Presley myself but if we all liked the same thing it would be a very boring world and nothing would move on.