Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Witham Town 2 Enfield Town 4

lovely stuff

First of all,well done to Mr Hicks on the away Kit,very nice.Who are the sponsers? It was hard to read on the shirt.Football Fever? who are they?

Now the game itself.Couldn't ask for more entertainment on the opening day.six goals,three sent-off.Jim started with Dickie,when it should have been Allen, and we paid by giving away two poor goals.Nay was unlucky not to start the game, and played well in the second half.Campbell played well first half and was unlucky to be taken off.Velendia still hasn't found his form of old.Crace did really well to last the 90 minutes,and makes all the difference.Hammett played quite well,worked hard and scored two good goals,although i'm pretty positive that his sublime chip over the keeper with his left-foot, was intended as a cross.Stephens scored a good goal for our first,and was unlucky to be sent off.Edmunds looked lively again off the subs bench.

All in all,a good performance.We still need to find the best formation and line-up in defense,but things look positive for another good season.

John, Campbell, Bastian, Tickner, Gant, Dickie, Velandia, Hall, Crace, Hammatt, Stephens, Nay, Foster, Edmunds, Allen, Hasler

If you missed this game you missed an absolute stonker and those of us that were there are going to make you suffer. Town made all 6 goals, and when two were in the town net you can see that we still have some work to do at the back.

Bryan Hammatt was man of the match and DESERVEDLY so. If he had scored his second goal last season it would have rivalled Steve Velandia's goal at Harlow it was that good. I jest not.

Town started well and Paul Campbell shot into the side netting. In the 6th minute an arm out from James Dickie gifted Witham Town a penalty which they scored. 1 – 0. Adam Gant was tackling back well.

Town pushed up and on the 12th minute on the edge of the box was Kevin Stephen (no 11) who let rip with a straight shot on target through a melee of players. Paul Daley in goal dived at full stretch for the ball to dip as it got to him between his hands 1 -1. On 18 minutes a Ricci Crace shot in the 6 yard box coming in from the right was deflected by Dale onto the head of Bryan Hammatt 1 – 2. On 23 minutes town defence all look at each other as Witham Town score 2- 2. A Town corner was punched away by Daley. On 35 minutes Town won a corner Simon Tickner and Glen Revell go up in a tussle ball ends up in the net. 2- 3. We were averaging a goal every 7 minutes. What a season so far.

Kevin Stephen then gets a straight red for some form of offence for which town fans were a little mystified for a while but speculation was for violent conduct. So town down to 10 men and Ricci Crace has a header saved. So after the first half town were comfortable.

2nd half David Allen on for Paul Campbell to give a boost at the back. David Allen was fouled on the edge of the Witham box and Morgan was yellow carded. At the other end David Allen gets a yellow. JJ makes a superb reflex save phew. A free kick to Witham Town on the edge of the box which is drilled into the wall. Rudi Hall down at the other end of the pitch holding his head. Ricci Crace just missed a long shot. It is so good to have Ricci back. A Witham shot is blocked by JJ and then kicked off the line by a town defender. Yikes. Dave Hawes booked. David Bastian booked. JJ saved. David Bastian off and Jamie Nay on. On 68 minutes Bryan Hammatt on the left side side line sees the keeper off his line sufficiently and chooses to lob him (David Semen style). It goes in top right corner. Awesome. 2 – 4. Witham lose their shape and Dave and Kevin Hawes are given their marching orders. So Town now have 10 men on the pitch to Witham's 9. Steve Velandia's swapped with Andy Edmunds. Adam Gant tackling back well. Jamie Nay is dancing down the wing with wonderful skill beating defender after defender. Jamie Nay meets with a fore arm smash right outside the town dugout. This hasn’t been a dirty match but there you go.

Town start to party. Ricci Crace on the edge of the box hits a dipping shot forcing Paul Daley to finger tip over his bar. JJ saved again. Glen Revell gets a yellow. Paul Daley saves Free kick with a punch away. Rudi Hall not to be outdone on the right side line hits a sublime kick heading for the top right corner which Paul Daley saves. Again Rudi Hall in the 6 yard box wallops a shot which is saved at point-blank range. On the edge of the area David Allen lets rip with a dipping shot forcing another fingertip save over the bar from Paul Daley.

Jury's out on the sky blue kit, smart but looks....well washed out for want of a better description, as for the green sponsor logo....yuk!!

A game reminiscent of the ESL, a poor pitch, two poor defences, 3 sendings off (what was that all about?)

Where was Robbie Carroll?

Oh and I make LS quite right if that was a sublime chip by Bryan he can pick my lottery numbers tonight!

That was a cross meant for Crace.....no doubts at all!

From what i heard,Carroll was given a torrid time by the Brimsdown forward line last week,maybe he suffered for that? No Magona either.

For me,we should have played four at the back.Allen and Tickner in the centre.Nay could have then played right back with campbell in front of him.Bastian could have also reverted to his natural left back position ,rather than wing back.

Fully agree regarding a back four, still we mess about with formations & personnel instead of stability, I make you spot on with your back four but would like to see Robbie Carroll given a a good run of games alongside Ticks.

Was glad to see Kevin Stephens kept away from the back four he is much more influential in midfield.

Edmunds is a must for a good run in the team, he is the brightest thing ive seen at the Town in our short history

If yesterday's performance is anything to go by, and I know it was only the first game of the season, then I think we are going to witness a lot of games with a lot of goals, unfortunately at both ends of the park.

Who would have thought that Kevin Stephens would have been our top goal scorer after 12 minutes with a 'blistering' shot which bobbled over the 'keeper!

As for Bryan's sublime pass with his left foot which deceived everyone! Mind you, if they go in, then we will be grateful for goals like that throughout the season.

Andy Edmunds - revelation! Movement off the ball, works the defence, not selfish and gets involved.

Back 3 - Doesn't work, but then again, that's only my opinion.

Welcome 3 points and here's looking forward to the mighty Ilford.

It would appear that JJ has been made an offer of a full time position at West Ham FC that was too good to refuse. He will be greatly missed by everyone but especially by the little "JETS"

Good luck JJ. Don't forget us matey come back and see us very soon.

bawling

Originally Posted By: Squadron Leader
It would appear that JJ has been made an offer of a full time position at West Ham FC that was too good to refuse. He will be greatly missed by everyone but especially by the little "JETS"

Good luck JJ. Don't forget us matey come back and see us very soon.

bawling

Official news on an unofficial forum shocked

As i said.It is the worst timing ever.One game into the season!If he had gone at any time during the close season,i'm sure Chopper would have jumped at the chance of returning,and i'm sure he would have returned a better player, after reflecting on his time away.Unfortunately he signed for Chesham this week after being without a club for months.

Chopper was on this site a bit more than usual in the close season,being very complimentary,when he was looking for a club.I'm sure he would have jumped at the chance of a return(even after the bad feeling of his departure).Whether Jim and his staff would be as keen to bring him back into the fold,is another question.