Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

1-2 Waltham Abbey

Ribbit

I don't know what happened today. The first half we were just woeful and the second, though better, we were just as pointless. I think we should have had at least a point though, given the number of chances we had in the second, particularly Ruggy and Gab both through on the same ball - how did they manage to miss that?

Lucky scored another beautiful goal and there were some tasty pieces of play, but overall we just were not good enough.

Ricky should definately have been sent off for his handball. Quite what the referee thought he was doing in not even booking Ricky, I don't know. I don't think there's anyone else to blame for the second goal either. It wasn't Ricky's day.

Wasn't Wally's day either. I missed what happened with him, but apparantly he kicked a player on the ground after he'd already floored him. Had to go.

The only other thing I've got to say is about the shouts for penalty after Gab (?) went down between two Abbey players. From where I was standing I could see it very clearly and it wasn't a penalty in a month of Sundays. To be fair, the referee should have booked Gab for diving as he made no attempt to play and threw himself to the floor. That's not to say I wouldn't have cheered if he had've wont he penalty. I would've, obviously. What kind of Canvey fan would I be if I didn't?

I didn't think much of Abbey at all. Seemed fairly average and I think that if we had played how we had against Potters Bar and Northwood, we could have beaten them comfortably. Unfortunately we would rather make stupid mistakes.

Shocking refereeing today, not just the physical abuse he missed from the Abbey thugs, but some of the decisions he did give for both teams were pathetic.

I thought we conceeded two stupidly simple goals today. A soft free-kick and an unchallenged header?! Lucky's goal was quality again, but that's the only real highlight.

Colin was stupid to do what he did to get sent off, but their guy deserved it. Thought the Abbey 'Keeper made the three points safe today, his one handed grab of the ball out of thin air took some skill and bottle with two Canvey players bearing down on him.

We were out-fought in Midfield, didn't have any real physical presence and against teams like these, that's what we need. Can see it being the same against Tilbury if I'm honest.

And what were we playing at having only one Striker up front, at home, 1-0 down with 45 minutes to play? I know we had to re-structure for Colin's dismissal, but we lost Bourne's flair down the left and in the first half that's where our chances were coming from.

Should've made better work of our Subs today in this heat, we looked shattered with half an hour still to go. Westy or Bourne was my MotM. Glad we've got this game so early in the season, any more like that could be the difference between Playoffs or nothing.

I agree with you on the Tilbury comment, Matt. I hate to say it, but I don't feel confident about Monday. Do we know the state of their pitch? tongue

I wasn't convinced by Bourney today (for a change!). His running was great, as always, but his crosses did lack today.

I take it Colin Wall's suspension will be three games now. Not what we need with Kreyling, Dobbo and Jon Stuart all injured/unfit!

Didn't understand moving Francis to Right-back either while George and Kreyling were sitting on the bench.

I think you've covered most of it between you.

Not sure what came over Wall today - absolute madness. A rash challenge that also caught our own players and a WAbbey player. He then goes and attaches his forehead onto an opposition player. The ref may have been a plank this afternoon but even he knew he had no choice but to send him off. More stupidity this afternoon when Ricky hand balls just outside his area which gifts WAbbey their first goal.

Westy played well in defence today. Felt Bourney also done well today. Luck grabbed a crucial goal and covered a lot of ground in the second half when the heat was beginning to tell and a times on his own.

Agree about the point on subs etc. - the heat was beginning to tell in the second half and we didn't seem to be able to tactically defend once we had drawn level - then again it's easy for me to specualte from behind a keyboard.....

It's only our third game and I also felt there were some positives out there today. We created a lot of opportunities and to some degree could have got something out of todays game - the one handed save by their keeper at the end was class (or bloody lucky)- especially with two Canvey players bearing down. He also made a number of good saves in the first half.

We seemed to struggle at times with concentration and drive. Players didn't seem to read the situation or didn't make the runs or close down the opposition - presume the heat must have taken it's toll.

No disrespect to WAbbey but I didn't think they were that strong a side and if we intend to improve on last season as Batchy wants then we need to get our head around what went wrong and move on. We still created plenty of problems against an 11 man side in the second half.

Revenge on Tilbury beckons.

i dont know what you lot are on about it was an exciting game end to end with us creating twice as many chances as we did in the last couple of games. everyone whinging that a team were physical, they are ment to be, our players were no saints out there (although i still dont think wall should have been sent off)

Steady up chaps, we were never gonna win today, sometimes you get them days!

Ricky's rush of blood to the head gave the first hint, although not a good performance we outclassed them.

We are better than todays result, I am a big fan of Rick's but it is time for him to start dominating his box a bit more, we should and could have won today and on another day Rick would have saved the second goal and not conceded the first.

These things have a habit of levelling themselves out, if that is true our obvious class will get us three points at their place.

Crap ref again!!!!

just watched the wall incident on the big screen, he definatly shouldnt have been sent off for the headbutt (said in the loosest of terms) he is on the floor and as he stands up the W Abbey player comes up to him and if there is a touching of heads it is more from their player than Wall (only wall didnt fall to the ground like a little girl) but the attempted overhead kick (not sure why on earth he tried that) was certainly bad enough and dangerious enough to warrent a second yellow card,

For me leaving Ruggy out from the start made no sense. From what i understand he was fit.

Its time a steady Ryman League Goalkeeper was brought into the club.. Ricky is going to cost us the same amount of points this season that would have seen us made the playoffs last season.

His wall for the first goals was a shambles, im sorry but he just isn't good enough..

Agree with other posts, Bourne has good pace but his crossing is nothing short of hopeless

Thats hope for a better performance against Tilbury

We have Waltham abbey away on monday, must say I wass supprised with your result today, add that to Enfield Town/Dartford and AFC Sudbury all dropping points, and you can see why the top 2 after 3 matches has a very unlikley look to it as the two newboys make a good start.

I still expect you to be there or thereabouts in 9 months time.

Originally Posted By: ken
just watched the wall incident on the big screen, he definatly shouldnt have been sent off for the headbutt (said in the loosest of terms) he is on the floor and as he stands up the W Abbey player comes up to him and if there is a touching of heads it is more from their player than Wall (only wall didnt fall to the ground like a little girl) but the attempted overhead kick (not sure why on earth he tried that) was certainly bad enough and dangerious enough to warrent a second yellow card,

It threw me when I saw on the Official site that Wall had been sent off for a headbutt. I certainly didn't see a headbutt, I initially thought he was sent off for the kick. Their no. 4 hitting the floor like a sack of sh*t was a laughable charade, proving the Referee was totally incompetent all day and easily intimidated.

By the way, was it handbags in the tunnel at half-time?

And again I say "Oh dear..."

"Abbey Thugs" ? We only took about 20 and most of them were OAPs! Although I must admit I did shout at the ref for taking no action against your goalkeeper! Very strange!

C'mon get a life!

To be fair, I thought you had the majority of the play but we got the win that we deserved - unlike last year when you equalised in the last minute and then tried to con the ref for a penalty. Hmm... And just where did he get those additional minutes from ? Another "Hmm..."

Can be bothered to read all teh other posts but suspect that Abbey Thugs relates to your players. I bit unfair in my view, physical yes, but it's a competitive game.

Can't really argue about the result, you took your chances and we didn't. Great stop by your keeper at the end got you the 3 points and it was never a penalty.

The ref? I've seen a lot worse.

We would win a lot me games if we passed and moved rather that try to take on the man everytime.

Think he meant your players.

Thought first half we were terribly off the pace. We played a bit like the Clacton game. We looked a little lethargic and just couldn't get it going. Ricky's mistake stunned us and we never really recovered.

After Colin's sending off we were always going to be up against it but thought we played alot better in the second half and but for great goalkeeping would have got at least a point.

Andrew West was definitely man of the match. Read the game well at times.

Still in a better position than this time last season but we must avoid silly defeats like this if we are to get anywhere near promotion.

yep ... read it again... does refer to the team which is even more laughable. Other than one or two, they couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag (with a hole in) !!

BTW. I thought the ref had a great game... when he blew the whistle at the end - the best thing he did all afternoon.

Skirmish during tunnell at half time ? I was on the terracing behind the goal so was looking down. Something definitely happened... that's all I know. The ref hadn't even got off the pitch at that point - in fact, it seemed as though he deliberately slowed down once the stewards started to rush in there...

Guest MOB Jnr
Originally Posted By: ShedBoy

Its time a steady Ryman League Goalkeeper was brought into the club.. Ricky is going to cost us the same amount of points this season that would have seen us made the playoffs last season.

His wall for the first goals was a shambles, im sorry but he just isn't good enough..

Agree with other posts, Bourne has good pace but his crossing is nothing short of hopeless

What a load of old tosh, Ricky is a quality young keeper that is learning his game and a great asset, be careful what you ask for because you may get it!!!

Who has mentioned the two outstanding saves he made in that game, OK he dropped a bollock, but who has not??

As for Bourney, he is one of our best players, OK he needs to consider a few variations on the cross but neither him or Rick have any apologies to make. "Bourne has good pace" YOU MUG, he is a quality player beyond this league, if all you see is his pace, go and watch netball because that is what you understand!!!

Thats like saying that Jesus Geezer, good with fishes but ran out of loaves !!!!

You look at any keeper at this level or any left winger and tell me they are better, Bourney put that number 2 on his [****!!****] so many times it was funny!!

The only thing wrong with the team is sometimes our extra man(you) should focus on cheering and stop jeering.

For feckk sake boys the players hear every word you say, stop getting caught up in the emotion of the moment and get behind the players.

Anyone want a bet, I have got £50 that says Rick will keep more clean sheets than 75% of keepers in our league, despite a sometimes suspect defence, how much exactly does Bourney and Ricky get paid to let you give them a slagging off.

Hey shedboy have you get £50, I have!!!

Bring on Tilbury

MOB