Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Billericay 1-1 Chelmsford

Simon BTFC

Probably the most low-key of the Billericay-Chelmsford derbies, seemed to lack a little bite compared with some recent games with them. Plenty of neat attacking play, but few clear-cut chances first half, penalty each early in the second and that was it really. Few good saves from the two keepers, but I think both teams were feeling the effects of playing 2 games in 3 days in the blazing sunshine and the game petered out a bit towards the end.

Still, we've now played 3 games against teams we were tipping for the top this season - Carshalton, AFC Hornchurch, and Chelmsford, and we're still unbeaten, and well placed.

We've got to make sure we maintain our focus against Leyton on Saturday now, important game for us.

It may have been a more low-key ricay chelmo derbies compared to the ones of late; but it was entertaining never the less. We had a few good opening but i think we didn't have quite enough shots With the abuse coming from behind the goal Gay must have felt some pressure and perhaps we didnt capitalise on that. My MOTM has to be Billy Mcmahon, he made some quality saves that kept us in the match. Dave Wareham had a good game when he came on, he looks to be growing in confidence every game. All in all a good battling performance and a good draw against what looked like a 'strong' chelmo team.

A good start to the season with as simon said 3 games out of the way that could have caused us trouble, the team looks strong and focused ... Roll on leton on saturday yay

Gay made one very good save, to tip a Flack header over the bar. Hitting the woodwork is all well and good, but if the linesman's flag is up for offside it's irrelevent!

It's a bit early for anybody to be suggesting they're showing the form of champions, last season Hampton won the league not by beating the top teams, but by not messing up against the bottom teams...

I thought it was another decent result for us today. Chelmsford are obviously a good side and we now average two points a game having played Hornchurch and Carshalton away and got one of the Chelmsford games out of the way.

I heard in the bar afterwards that the lino actually gave their pen for handball which would have made it even more barmy but I'm sure the Chelmo fans think the same about the re-take that we got which although well justified, its the kind of decision that rarely gets given. I actually thought the ref had a decent game.

Billy McMahon showed his quality with some fine saves and Dorms again did the business for us in the middle of the park. Our full backs also performed very well against some talented wingers.

As mentioned above now we've got some of these toughies out of the way, it's important we dont drop the ball against the teams that don't look so tough on paper - See East Thurock now top the league!!

All in all I think 8 points from our opening 4 fixtures is a fine return and hopefully we can move on from here.

McMahon

McSweeney Heffer Blewitt Kerrigan

Abbott (Wareham) Hunter Dormer Hodges (Semanshia)

BWG (Burbridge) Flack

snu: Buckfield, Swaine

scorer: Flack

Att: 1572

what was the attendance fellas? we've got the chelmo fellas at ours on saturday, interested to know if we have to drink up early to grab the eastside.

any prize twats in their team or fanbase that we should know about?

great start to the season, good luck for the rest of it...

Definately a low key game, but relatively entertaining, defences on top. Id say most people would agree that 1-1 was a fair result, although i think chelmsford had slightly the better of it. Saw nothing for their penalty, seemed to be a low key appeal, until the chelmo fans started cheering and i noticed the lino had his flag up. I thought our one was a pen, although i wasnt in the best place to see it. As for the retake, i thought it was for encroachment into the box? Flack handled the presuure well to score after Hodgie had missed.

As stated above, weve played 3 tough teams, and done well to go unbeaten and only concede 1 goal, from the spot. Its important to keep up the momentum against the 'easier' teams (leyton have 2 points from 4 games). It would be lovely to put a few past them and keep the confidence up, but id take any sort of scrappy 3 points you offered me.

As for the attendance, 1572 very respectable for a bank holiday game, when attendances are generally kept lower by the holidays.

Well done lads on a good point earned.

Originally Posted By: Simon BTFC
Gay made one very good save, to tip a Flack header over the bar. Hitting the woodwork is all well and good, but if the linesman's flag is up for offside it's irrelevent!

It's a bit early for anybody to be suggesting they're showing the form of champions, last season Hampton won the league not by beating the top teams, but by not messing up against the bottom teams...

I can't remember the save to which you make reference but I am of course willing to put that down to my lack of attention. Again, if you're happy that the linesman flagged for offside on both occasions that City hit the woodwork then of course I'm happy to acknowledge this.

The form of champions is-

(a) to win your home games and

(B) to win at least those of your away games which are against the "bottom-half teams" and

© to draw at the grounds of those teams in the top half.

If a team achieves the above it's almost certain to end up champions.

Today we drew at the ground of a top-half team....

We have yet to play any "bottom-half teams" away from home but we have extracted the necessary results from the other two categories I mentioned....

Good point earnt against possibly the strongest team we'll be up against this season. Wasn't there myself but hear that defensively we did a good job of containing Ibe & Holmes. Against Chelmo, that's half the battle.

Not sure if we're far enough into the season yet to be talking of "Form of Champions" PF. And isn't there a saying about "Form" being transient, but "Class" is permanent? Or similar? A long, long way to go yet.

So ETU seem to be the suprise package so far, and AFCW the suprise poor starters.

I would agree with the "low - key" comments...and a draw was a fair result. Reading the comments above people seem to forget that last Saturday Chelmo had the opportunity to cruise against a 10 man Maidstone, whilst we had to keep a high tempo against a well organised Carshalton in the heat...Again, yesterday was hot and both teams were required to keep up the tempo to ensure a result...Draw your own conclusions as regards effort and energy given by both teams for the whole of the 90 minutes.

I thought we looked more dangerous when Burbs came on and gave us some height up front...it gave the Chelmo centre backs something else to think about. Both keepers had to make saves, despite those rose coloured glasses that PF wears...must be standard issue from the comments that were being made in the main stand by some of 'em...

On the whole, an entertaining game but by no means a "derby" classic and still, we're yet to lose.

Think everyone was satisfied with a draw, it keeps our unbeaten record against them going as well. Decent attendance (attendance at thier place last year was 1200), with 400/450 Clarets who actually made a bit of noise for the first time ever! 8 points from the first four games is a good return, we now need to build upon that over the next few matches.

I think Dillinger summed it up, neither team were brave enough to gamble on a Win and risk a loss. But I wonder how many of us supporters backed our team (at the bookies)to win yesterday?

I know we can play a lot more football than we did yesterday, and I'm pretty sure the chelmo can as well. After the chelmo pen we got the ball down knocked it around and got at them, but when we got our goal we reverted back to safe mode.

I'm not disappointed with a draw though, Chelmsford are a good team, and we have maintained our unbeaten record against the newly formed conference outfit. grin

Good support from them yesterday as well

We now have two more points than we did after 6 games of last season so things are going well, Next up... Leyton

We have this discussion all the time BC! It's a local derby, it's an attractive fixture, there was no Premiership. I'm not quite sure you lot understand these things. But there you go, I'm sure you'll claim 1,000 of the crowd was Chelmo. If it makes you feel better....

Quote:
Think you must have miscalculated slightly, according to reports on the Clarets forum Ryan.

But if that WAS the case, I would be interested to know where the "other" 500 Ricay supporters disappear to, when you're not playing our goodselves!

With Respect BC. I know you can't make it to games for your own reasons but we were at the game and we saw the numbers.

Now we know as do other clubs in this league that your club have by far more fans than any other club. crazy

More money than any other club, grin

More players available than any other club, elephant

Your fans make more noise than any other club, guitar

In fact at the rate your club is going i can't wait to see them in the Barclays Premiership. sleep

Back to the real world now..Yesterdays game was imo a game that was always going to be tight, A fair outcome was indeed a draw