Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Waltham Forest

YELLOW

A 0-0 draw and a game we could have won and would have deserved to have won.

Lucky missed two early chances, one that struck the post and Danny Curran forced their keeper into a good save in the second half. The closest they came to scoring was a magnificent Mel Capleton save from their number 8. Not sure how he managed to turn the ball over the bar but it was an amazing reaction save.

At least the defence looked alot stronger. Both Jon Stuart and Dave Kreyling were excellent today and another fine game from Westy. 5 goals conceded in 5 league games isn't a bad return but we need to produce more performances like today rather than the shambolics of Waltham Abbey and especially Tilbury.

Less than 100 saw this match with about 60 of them from Canvey. Not sure how Waltham Forest survive on such low crowds.

Indeed. I failed to mention that.

Really - I thought living in Canvey you would be used to sh*t - at least we manage to build a ground that is neat and tidy without any of type of money that you had from mister big bucks King and not fogetting that lovely smell of chemicals that is so attractive (pot and kettle springs to mind)

Funding comes from the usual sources where a club has no income through the gate - donations from the Committee - modest sponsorship through club contacts (mainly the Chairman) and other bits and pieces - we also have revenue through the social club but otherwise that is it

We do not have a lease with the Council so that rumour is totally untrue

Originally Posted By: forester
Really - I thought living in Canvey you would be used to sh*t - at least we manage to build a ground that is neat and tidy without any of type of money that you had from mister big bucks King and not fogetting that lovely smell of chemicals that is so attractive (pot and kettle springs to mind)

OH MY GOD!!
YOU HAVE A FAN!!

Originally Posted By: The Great Eckscape
I wouldn't rely on Dave's reports, he's used to counting sheep, not humans...

laugh At least he watches the games he reports on, eh Tree Surgeon.

Getting back to the game, disappointed not to win after having most of the game but pleased with our overall performance. Defence looked solid and protected Capelton from almost everything but when called upon Capelton looked more than up to the task.

Shame to lose Fanibuyan so early but Edgar played well when he came on, Gordon continued his good form and i was really impressed with his workrate.

Don`t know how to put into words the refs performance, i know that in the Conference both teams had to mark the refs performance out of 10 and if you gave below 5 you had to give a detailed reason why. I think he deserved 2 for turning up on time and for wearing the right kit anything above that would be generous.

Originally Posted By: Mini-Goose93
that ref was awful.
sorry to say it but he was shocking. i think that we deserved more than a point but i think the biggest chance came to waltham forest when capleton saved the day.

It was a great chance for them but both Curran and Luck should have scored in the 1st half and then we had a shot cleared off the line in the 2nd half.

Ah this was when I thought the crowd was 94. In the NLP the crowd was stated as 101 so by my reckoning we had around 70-75 there.

Their club secretary was on BBC London tonight. They reckon the gate was around 30% down on what they would have got.

It was embarrasing to listen to, last season the attendance was 111 this season 101, 10 people less and they blame England playing at 5pm on a Saturday. Their home average was 80 last season so Saturday saw them get 21 above that, pulling stunts like putting the entrance fee up by a £1 isn`t going to entice people in is it.

If we had been in better form i`m sure we would have brought more away fans but Waltham Forest can`t rely on away fans, they have to increase their home fanbase.

I take it that was your email they read out Yellow.

We have tried over the years - free admission for certain games to entice people to come again - free admission for school kids - we have posted leaflets through doors - all the usual stuffs and it doesn't make any difference

The locals are just not interested - we have to try and make money any other way and viasits like yours are what keeps us going - so the point about 30 down make be small fry to you but it represents a significent fall in income for us