Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 23-August 17 )

• Photo
    Barney

• Photo
    mickadeem

• Photo
    CockneyBertie

Photo

Aveley 1 (was it? I was in the loo) Canvey LOADS

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
23 replies to this topic

offline Merv

Merv
  • First XI - Sub
  • Supports: Bristol City
  • Foes: Chelmo Urghhhh....
6 - 1 has to be the most impressive Canvey scoreline for a long time. But truth is, it could have been 8 or 9 or even double figures. Nicky Rugg got to win the match ball with a terrific hat-trick, Fanibuyan got one and Aveley even gave us a free one. It doesn't get much better.

The referee had a relatively good game in that you didn't know he was there; except when he cocked up big time in refusing Canvey two most blatent penalties when the score was at 4 - 0 and then when it was 5 - 1. To be fair to the man, he did admit after the game that he had made a mistake on the first one but I didn't hear his comment about the second one.

This was a true team performance. Others may name a Man of the Match but to single out any particular player would be an injustice to the other 10 who played some very entertaining and, at times, exhibition football. From the first 10 minutes we just knew that this one was in the bag and Aveley did nothing to dissuade us of this opinion.

For most of the first 15 minutes it was one way traffic, then Aveley got a bit tighter in midfield and started to make a game of it, but once Canvey went two nil up they simply weren't at the races. We took the ball forward either through the middle or either of the two wings. It was only some sloppy finishing inside the 6yd box that kept the score down to single figures. There is still a lack of discipline once we get the goal in sight and it does, at times, become 'every man for himself'. I know the old days are gone, but had Lee Boylan been there ... (excuse me, I've started drooling).

Well done lads. An impressive display, a fabulous result and a wonderful day out*

Merv

*Well nearly. What a club Aveley is. Stella was £2.90 a pint. Having been fleeced in the bar it was then the turn of the turnstile man to rip me off. Entrance was £8.50 with a "free" programme. But I don't want a programme. Tough, it's still £8.50. Some of the lads took the argument a step further and they managed to get £2 back (but they were later barred from the clubhouse). £8.50 is a total disgrace for a ground that has no cover (apart from the main stand) and the toilet was a complete disgrace. I won't describe it in case any of you are eating while you read this. Enough to make any Canvey fan a life long convert to constipation.

offline The Great Eckscape

The Great Eckscape
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
  • rank
  • Supports: Canvey Island, Tottenham Hotspur
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, Cricket, Boxing, Speedway
A great summary Merv, a welcome return!

offline YELLOW

YELLOW
  • First XI Coach
  • Supports: Canvey Island, West Ham
  • Foes: Billericay, Concord, Southend, Spurs, Chelsea
  • Fav. Player(s): Mo Diame, Paolo Di Canio, Carlton Cole, Kevin Nolan, Jay Curran, Kevin Dobinson, Lionel Messi
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, drinking.
Good stuff Merv. Can't believe the gateman trying to charge some of our under 16 lads, adult admission.

offline Yellow Bungle

Yellow Bungle
  • First XI - Sub
Still, at least they give you free bricks...propping up your car in the carpark!

offline thomarocky

thomarocky
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
Yes. Enough is enough. The rip-off soured an otherwise good day. I thought clubs had to declare their admission prices at the start of the season, but apparantly can charge what they like, how can this be right. We got overcharged at Waltham Forest and I got charged £4 each for my kids at Northwood, when I checked their web-site accompanied children prices are £1
Right clubs like Aveley deserve what they get - NOTHING !
Next season if we are unfortunate enough to play them no-one pay to get in, just bring boxes with us or ladders are watch over the fences, that is what we must do to show these greedy rotters a show of strength. Up The Gulls !

offline YELLOW

YELLOW
  • First XI Coach
  • Fav. Player(s): Mo Diame, Paolo Di Canio, Carlton Cole, Kevin Nolan, Jay Curran, Kevin Dobinson, Lionel Messi
Or watch the game from the bar.

offline Mini Goose

Mini Goose
  • Reserves Coach
Originally Posted By: YELLOW
Or watch the game from the bar.

wouldnt bother me grin

offline The Great Eckscape

The Great Eckscape
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
  • rank
  • Supports: Canvey Island, Tottenham Hotspur
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, Cricket, Boxing, Speedway
Be better than watching your beloved Milwall at the moment! I wonder if we will be charged extra when we play them in the league in a couple of seasons!

offline Mini Goose

Mini Goose
  • Reserves Coach
shut it yiddo! fck what you all think. we are millwall and we will keep fighting and we will show you all in the end!

all we need now is goals frown

offline Mini Goose

Mini Goose
  • Reserves Coach
Glen, is it maidstone away this wednesday?

offline YELLOW

YELLOW
  • First XI Coach
Yep, Maidstone this Wednesday.

offline Mini Goose

Mini Goose
  • Reserves Coach
dave are you going down the club this tuesday? if you are would you be able to stick my name down on the paper for the coach and i pay on the day? is that alright. only im going to watch millwall lose on tuesday so i wont be able to do it!

offline Mini Goose

Mini Goose
  • Reserves Coach
ah dont worry about it dave. ill make tyler do it grin

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
Originally Posted By: Merv

*Well nearly. What a club Aveley is. Stella was £2.90 a pint. Having been fleeced in the bar it was then the turn of the turnstile man to rip me off. Entrance was £8.50 with a "free" programme. But I don't want a programme. Tough, it's still £8.50. Some of the lads took the argument a step further and they managed to get £2 back (but they were later barred from the clubhouse). £8.50 is a total disgrace for a ground that has no cover (apart from the main stand) and the toilet was a complete disgrace. I won't describe it in case any of you are eating while you read this. Enough to make any Canvey fan a life long convert to constipation.

I was just about ready to place Aveley as the third worst ground I've ever been to when I walked into those toilets. Sod that, that was the worst ground I have ever seen. If Ilford's ground hasn't seen any love for the last twenty-five years, Aveley's must have gone without for a good fifty. And to charge £8.50 is an abomination. What an utter p*ss take.

Still, at least we slaughtered them. laugh

offline Eastside Urchin

Eastside Urchin
  • President Elect
  • rank
  • Supports: AFC Hornchurch
  • Foes: Romford
i seem to remember us having the same problems when we visited the sh1thole last season,sorry nearly forgot,i bunked it over the fence with a few others due to their extortionate prices for watching non league football at such a shocking venue

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
I can see how easy it would be to do that. One stand didn't even have a fence behind it. You could see the remains of it on the 'field' behind, where it had been left following vandalism, presumably.

Oh by the way, we managed to prove on Saturday that we can indeed play on crap pitches. We've got no excuse for playing badly on long grass now.

offline Eastside Urchin

Eastside Urchin
  • President Elect
  • rank
  • Supports: AFC Hornchurch
  • Foes: Romford
chelmsford should take a leaf from your book.They complained our pitch was too long when we beat them earlier in the season

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
I don't condone it. I think it's a pretty shoddy way to cover on-pitch inadequacies.

offline Canvey Fan 1926

Canvey Fan 1926
  • First XI - Sub
  • Supports: Canvey Island
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football
With the amount Aveley charged for admission you would expect them to have a TV in the clubhouse; but all we got was a few tables and chairs and really expensive drinks!

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
Have to say though, their hotdogs weren't bad. They weren't great either, but not bad, considering that looked like something a cat shat out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus